One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite cake? Let's say, for example, it's a vanilla and mayonnaise dill pickle swirl ....with anchovies and M&Ms.

Naturally, we can't all be bakers, so you're going to have to find someone with the resources and knowledge who can provide you with what you want.

You find the best baker in town, the one that everybody swears by.

This baker first has to do some research on your cake. Whether they buy books or consult other experts, that's the first step. When that's done, they have to see if any other baker in town has the rights on this particular cake. If so, or if the name even belongs to someone else, they have to acquire those rights.

Next, the ingredients need to be bought. Even though you wouldn't know the difference between Parisian mayonnaise made by virgins compared to brown label mayo from the Piggly Wiggly (but you think you do), the baker is aware of your misfounded discriminating expertise on the subject. The baker will dutifully acquire the best ingredients possible, all at considerable cost.

Now the baker goes to his kitchen (which he pays the rent/mortgage and taxes on), turns on the lights and fans (which he pays the bills on), washes his hands (which he pays the water on), and turns on his oven (which he pays the gas bill on). He prepares his equipment; tables, bowls, utensils, trays, etc. (all of which he had to purchase, and does require maintenance/upkeep and occasional replacement). He will also rely on an education that didn't come free, or at the very least experience that also comes at a cost. Not to mention the employees that aid him in his business (for whom he provides decent wages to).

Everything comes together. The result is the best vanilla and mayonnaise dill pickle swirl ....with anchovies and M & Ms cake the world has ever seen. Naturally, it will have it's critics among those who are experts on the subject yet haven't mastered the art of boiling water yet.

What happens next? Well, everything gets factored in; R&D, materials, overhead, payroll, etc. Now you're either going to pay a thousand bucks for a cake nobody else even wants to think of eating, or the baker will lose out for making the dumbest decision of his life. Given enough of these requests, and trying to please everyone, the baker will eventually have to close up shop.

You got what you wanted. Whether it was a result of your careful consideration or just because you stupidly blurted out the first bizarre idea that came to your mind in order to somehow pass yourself off as some cake guru. Your insistence that it would sell in vast numbers only makes you both look even more stupid.

Think of this when you stupidly blurt out the 1/6 hobby's absolute need for a Bulgarian Special Forces dog-catcher or a character from a video game nobody's ever heard of. The only thing stupider than asking for it would be a company actually agreeing with you....and it's unlikely any company would be that stupid. For them, it's a business and how they feed their families. Do you want to see them have to close up shop?

So, the next time an idea hits you to request your favorite obscure and unsellable figure, just think of that cake and what it took to get it made. ......and just stuff a readily available Twinkie in that piehole.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No, this is just wrong! Of course they should rush out and make the Icelandic special forces seal wrangler! What's wrong with you? I want one. If 5 people on a board say it will sell I think all the big guys should rush out and make one. Great thread. LMAO!

G

·
This is exactly why DID learned their lesson about the Napoleonic era....oh wait.

Seriously though, I beg to differ. I believe in the proverbial "if you build it, they will come". If you make something awesome, it will be bought. If people kept that mindset there'd be no Napoleonic, no 'nam, and no triad toys.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
This is exactly why DID learned their lesson about the Napoleonic era....oh wait.

Seriously though, I beg to differ. I believe in the proverbial "if you build it, they will come". If you make something awesome, it will be bought. If people kept that mindset there'd be no Napoleonic, no 'nam, and no triad toys.
I agree with this thought. And besides...wanting an obscure figure to be manufactured seems to be a victimless crime to me. :nerd Not the fault of a select few who want a figure if it tanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Interesting thread, LG. In this line of thinking, Dragon would only make WWII German figures. Oh wait ... right ...

Seriously though, I hear your point. Then again, I seriously doubt that any company interested in being sustainable would make a production decision based entirely on the feedback from a relative handful of voices. If they do and fail, then, well, it's just a high cost of tuition spent for a lesson in product development.

In other words, I think it's fine if people want a Bulgarian Special Forces Dog Catcher in a fully licensed Crye uniform with die cast accessories. It'd just be dumb on the manufacturer to actually build one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Dead wrong. Napoleonics have their fanbase and Viet Nam has no trouble selling as well.
Go ahead, prove me wrong. Build something awesome that only a handful of people have an interest in, and then it'll be me that begs for forgiveness when it flies off the shelf. Remember though, it's your money on the line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Victimless crime to request obscure product? Yes, agreed. And driving under the speed limit is also a victimless crime, but don't tell me you don't cuss the guy out who's doing it in front of you. Unless he's you.

The metaphors outlined here aren't a testament on manufacturers, which seems to be getting lost on some. It's a reflection on those who will repeatedly turn so many threads into inane wishlists.

G

·
My assertion wasn't that it was good to make things that don't sell. My assertion was that it is can pay to defy convention. Both Nam, and gun toting bimbos had been tried, failed (more or less), and dropped by the giants. Napoleonics were totally unprecedented to my knowledge.

To put it in tv terms: who would have thought that robots sitting down and watching crappy movies from the 50's, or construction paper children that curse more than George Carlin and preach more than Davey and Goliath would be cultural phenomena? Sometimes ya gotta throw stuff up against the wall and see what sticks.

And yes, I think its was inappropriate to turn the HT thread into a giant I want XX with YY thread. That was not the topic of the thread you started.

Edit: And just for the record I don't think there's anyone in my age bracket that hadn't heard of every single videogame mentioned in that thread. I don't have a point. I just thought it would be fun to make you feel really old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..... Nam, ... failed (more or less), and dropped by the giants. ......
You're kidding, right?

And yes, I think its was inappropriate to turn the HT thread into a giant I want XX with YY thread. That was not the topic of the thread you started.
Well of course it was. That was precisely the topic of the thread I started. That, and every other thread that has been diverted in the same manner.

G

·
Dragon dropped their Nam line to focus on contemporary (within a decade or so of the release date) and WW2. 21c dropped it and started it back up just prior to their demise. Apparently, they were deemed relatively unprofitable by both.

The message I read was "don't toss out obscure ideas that only you are interested in".

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
Victimless crime to request obscure product? Yes, agreed. And driving under the speed limit is also a victimless crime, but don't tell me you don't cuss the guy out who's doing it in front of you. Unless he's you.

The metaphors outlined here aren't a testament on manufacturers, which seems to be getting lost on some. It's a reflection on those who will repeatedly turn so many threads into inane wishlists.
I understand your point. I don't think it's wrong to want to see the figures people would love to have, but I agree with your overall idea. The Hot Toys interview thread devolved into a "tell them to make ____" type of thing. I think what might have helped is if people actually READ every post before they add their own. I saw several repeats in that thread.

If you look back at my questions, they weren't that sort of thing, though I am guilty of being the under-the-speed-limit guy now and again. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I agree with LG2, I love the vietnam stuff and WW2, and for fathers day I got the Movie MASH W/ donald sutherland and want to build myself that helo for a korea dio. but I see the prices of some of these figs and the waste of resource on some of the uni's like an armour crewman when you don't have that tank to put him in. or a royal italic guard w/legging. why mass produce that stuff, why not make it on a carded set and let the consumer use his imagination. I've seen the creative output of LG2 and he just sews these cool ideas himself. anyway enough of me I'm just a nut in this squirell world.:knock

·
Running from explosions
2,315 Posts
I understand your point. I don't think it's wrong to want to see the figures people would love to have, but I agree with your overall idea. The Hot Toys interview thread devolved into a "tell them to make ____" type of thing. I think what might have helped is if people actually READ every post before they add their own. I saw several repeats in that thread.

If you look back at my questions, they weren't that sort of thing, though I am guilty of being the under-the-speed-limit guy now and again. :)
I am guilty of adding my wants to that thread as well as repeating ideas. My intention was that if enough of us asked for the same product(s) that it would get communicated to HT. While LG's analogy was good it didn't take into account the internet. We have a small enough community that we should have an open dialogue with the manufactures. Even HT has it's bombs (I still see plenty of those UDT Halo sets). It seems to me they could come to this and other sites with several ideas and have us vote on what we most want to see. Yeah, I know, this doesn't equal sales, but it would be better than nothing.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
So would it be out of the question to ask for a Hot Toys' Halle Berry as Catwoman.

:blank

1 - 20 of 63 Posts