One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fabric is REAL pain in the butt to fine now. Was going to make a bunch more to sale but crap. I can't fine this Tartan anymore. So if any one you fabric hunters find this scale of tartan. LET ME KNOW!

But here is the Finish Blackwatch Tartan. 20 Pleads and to scale.

Enjoy folks!

Uswin.

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply. Things been pretty busy life wise.

Thank you guys for the comments.

@Warrior49 It wasn't easy at all. 20 pleads is really tough to get correct and even during sewing. Looking at the photos there was a few mistakes. But really hard to notice.

@GubernatorFan Thank you.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
This fabric is REAL pain in the butt to fine now. Was going to make a bunch more to sale but crap. I can't fine this Tartan anymore. So if any one you fabric hunters find this scale of tartan. LET ME KNOW!
Uswin, I have no real use for kilts but I always like to check out your work and this is really well done. As for your fabric problem, have you considered Spoonflower? There are a few 1:6 tartan patterns on there and many 1:1 patterns as well. It might be possible to contact one of the designers of a pattern that you like that might not be available in 1:6 and see if they would be willing to offer it in a scaled down version. Alternately, a Google image search will turn up multiple tartan patterns. It should be possible to find one and tile it to create a 1:6 version that could be uploaded to Spoonflower to make a printable version or you could actually print it yourself. It wouldn't be as cheap as buying a ready made fabric but the option is there.

This seller on Spoonflower actually has 1:1 and 1:6 patterns available: weavingmajor'''s shop on Spoonflower: fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap

Click this Google link and you will see many tartan patterns that could be adapted: tartan pattern - Google Search

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,200 Posts
The kilt itself is great , and I know from experience what a tricky job it is to make one. But as you of course realise, it's not the Black Watch or Government tartan you have there, which is composed entirely of very dark blue and dark green, without any red in it. The pattern is very easy to find online.

Finding correct scale tartan is nearly impossible, since only two figures were ever produced with an accurate kilt, the SST Black Watch WW1 figure, and the DiD Black Watch Napoleonic fellow , and finding those now is highly unlikely. Despite keeping a beady eye open, I have never found a miniature fabric that would substitute, although there are quite a few " generic" miniature tartans around in the 1/12th world. However, about ten years ago my friend Neil Walker had some Government Tartan woven , and I can send you enough for one kilt ( just one ) if you pm me.
But if you want to make more that that, I really recommend that you follow Scimitar's advice and get some printed, preferably on some thin brushed cotton. It's a thing I have been avoiding for years , since I have done soldiers wearing all the military tartans except the Camerons, and I really must get around to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts