One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Pug Lord
1,244 Posts
I guess it depends on what route you want to take. I'm assuming what you want is a " wig-wag " effect for the headlights. Flashing LEDs would give an irregular effect, but might be less realistic than what you want. Commercial wig-wag circuits can be purchased for as little as $4 and drive clear white LEDs ( either a pair of singles or two panel style arrays). However, most run on 12 volts and can be somewhat battery consuming since they are usually intended for running vehicles.
Another way to go would be a very simple circuit based on the popular "555" timer IC. Even if you have no experience with electronics, someone you know with the most basic knowledge could build it for you. Here is a link to just one of many versions that could be built:

Hobby Circuit - Wig/wag LED Flasher - Circuits designed by David A. Johnson, P.E.

I chose this one for it's (relative ) simplicity and 3 volt power requirement, which is ideal for small batteries.
All the parts, including the LEDs can be sourced cheaply through Amazon, Mouser Electrinics, Small Bear Electronics or even EBay. Complete kits can be purchased as well, which only require soldering skills and are basically "paint by number" to assembly. ( i.e.: the instructions will tell you what part goes where.)
You can also buy prebuilt kits from various suppliers for a small additional fee, including this neat triple flashing wig-wag for the roof lights:

LED Police Lights Chaser Kit | NightFire Electronics LLC

One final method would be to find a toy police car ( size does not matter) with lighting effects and pirate the electronics from that. The circuits run on batteries, are usually on a single board and can drive the LEDs of your choice.

Hopefully, this was not "information overload" and you can feel free to PM me if you want help finding what you would like. I think you can add a level of realism to your model inexpensivley that you will like better than random flashing LEDs.

· Pug Lord
1,244 Posts
^^Nicely done^^
Thank you sir!
I decide to whip this up last night. The circuit is even simpler than the link I posted. All parts were scavenged except the battery and the board. I used a socket so that the components that govern the flash rate could be adjusted. ( I also have a BUNCH of 555 timers in unknown condition. Now I can test them! ) The whole think took me about 40 minutes because of old eyes. :lol

Circuit component Line Electrical wiring Flooring Gas

Circuit component Line Electrical wiring Flooring Gas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.