One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible that we might one day see some law and order licensed figures? i ask because it is one of the more well know cop shows. also what would you say to the license, yay or nay? and if yay who of the characters would you most likely buy? I.E. stabler...

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
Dragnet! Jack Webb as Joe Friday, and Harry Morgan as Bill Gannon.
Thing is ,as it was put to me, once, everyone wants to see these, and say how cool they are, but who will actually buy them? (rent and manufacture is not free.)

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
They just wouldn't sell in big enough numbers to warrant it.......:dunno

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
They just wouldn't sell in big enough numbers to warrant it.......:dunno
I think that's absolutely got to be the bottom line. A TV series rather than a movie; plus not even a hot/contemporary TV series; plus, it isn't the kind of cult/nerd/geek type show that maybe gets collectors' interest; and its fan base demographic isn't one that naturally overlaps with the collector's market. And outside of North America (and maybe a bit in the UK, I don't know), it probably doesn't even have a lot of basic recognition, let alone fan enthusiasm - particularly in Asia AFAIK. Any one of those reasons would probably be enough for any marketing guy to nix it.

Not knocking the show, but I couldn't remotely see 1:6 figures happening now. Maybe sometime around 2004 there could have been a window for someone like NECA to make a character or two in Action Figure style at the @$40 price point and try to get it into the FYE and Spencer's type stores.

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
I think that's absolutely got to be the bottom line. A TV series rather than a movie; plus not even a hot/contemporary TV series; plus, it isn't the kind of cult/nerd/geek type show that maybe gets collectors' interest; and its fan base demographic isn't one that naturally overlaps with the collector's market. And outside of North America (and maybe a bit in the UK, I don't know), it probably doesn't even have a lot of basic recognition, let alone fan enthusiasm - particularly in Asia AFAIK. Any one of those reasons would probably be enough for any marketing guy to nix it.

Not knocking the show, but I couldn't remotely see 1:6 figures happening now. Maybe sometime around 2004 there could have been a window for someone like NECA to make a character or two in Action Figure style at the @$40 price point and try to get it into the FYE and Spencer's type stores.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
NCIS, maybe... If it was just Mark Harmon, and you jumped on it right this second. But, frankly, despite the continued popularity of some of these shows, I personally feel they've all outlasted their welcome, which would make figures a hard sell.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

"Book 'im, Danno."

Oddly enough, one of my mother's first cousins looked enough like Jack Lord that he was often stopped and asked for an autograph. I never met the guy until I was in college, so my brothers and I would wildly roll our eyes when she'd say something about the resemblance. Finally, I attended a family function and met him. I'll be damned if he wasn't a dead ringer for Lord.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Did I miss something? I thought this was about the TV series Law and Order...or is it suppose to be about Law and Order television shows. I am confused. everyone got to talking about Hawaii 5 O and other law enforcement show's I was wondering did I misunderstand.

If done right and price right most any figure could do well whether someone watched the show or not. I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a figure I think is pretty cool I will buy it whether I liked the TV show/movie...in the end I think it comes down to the quality of the figure and for a lot of us the price.

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Did I miss something? I thought this was about the TV series Law and Order...or is it suppose to be about Law and Order television shows. I am confused. everyone got to talking about Hawaii 5 O and other law enforcement show's I was wondering did I misunderstand.

If done right and price right most any figure could do well whether someone watched the show or not. I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a figure I think is pretty cool I will buy it whether I liked the TV show/movie...in the end I think it comes down to the quality of the figure and for a lot of us the price.
Sorry about that.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I don't know but I think some TV series or TV police dramas can be a hit with toy collectors, just not "Law and Order" (too much talking). I'm thinking NCIS or CSI would be much more popular.
I agree with that ranking. One distinction for purposes of OSW is between "toy collectors" who might buy a 6" Neca/McFarlane figure of a character, and those who would go up to a kitted @$160 figure.

One rule of thumb might be that if a character hasn't generated a viable 6" $20 figure then a premium fig is probably out of the question. Another rule of thumb might be if the show has the kind of fan energy demonstrated by Conventions, San Diego, etc. So Dr Who and Battlestar Galactica, yes, Law & Order and CSI, not so much.

The real opportunity for Law & Order and cop shows generally is probably in Unlicensed Head Sculpts. The only current cop/detective show that might support actual licensed @$160 figures might be Sherlock. But for lots of other shows Head Sculpts make the most sense: 1) a pure actor likeness might avoid a license fee, where eg paying for a CSI Logo would be prohibitive; 2) a lesser degree of fan enthusiasm is needed to make the figure viable, and foreign/Asian popularity is not a deal-breaker; and 3) a $30-$50 purchase has less sticker shock than @$160. And for just about every cop/detective show 4) the head sculpt is really all you need since all the other kit and gear is probably generic. If they make Kojak though, which I think would be very viable, he's got to have a lollipop.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Did I miss something? I thought this was about the TV series Law and Order...
Happens a lot in this hobby....someone starts a thread about a specific subject, and people throw in what they'd like to see instead, rather than comment on the specific subject....

They could just as easily, heaven forbid, start a thread on what they'd like to see.....but no.....

Maybe that's the exact reason why manufacturers don't jump in and make figures on a whim.....the hobbyists themselves appear to be all over the map with what they want........:think

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I don't know but I think some TV series or TV police dramas can be a hit with toy collectors, just not "Law and Order" (too much talking). I'm thinking NCIS or CSI would be much more popular.
This 1/6 scale hobby of ours is made in Asia. For Asia.

If it is popular and will sell in Asia, they will make it. If not, it won't happen.

I don't believe this TV show is popular in Asia...so NO it won't happen.

TB- those are great headscupts...and figures, I was going to say someone had already had them and there you are..:hifive

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Law Enforcement figures do not generally sell very well here, most end up parted out by dealers to try and recoup some costs. With prices having pushed up so far from the mass market retail days of years ago you won't find as much risk taking with subjects unless as Crusader stated, there is underlying popularity in Asia to provide a customer base.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
smoking figures...me like!!!! I like!!!!...I still believe if a figure is done right, it looks cool and the price is right people will buy it....but then again I have been wrong before. I liken this too female figures. everyone (well not everyone) but a lot of our members gripe about the butt being to big, the bust being to big but it's funny it seems the large bust figures are always the first to go....my point is until you put it out there your really can't be for sure. but I am not going to hold my breath hoping they will make some Law and Order figures.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
.my point is until you put it out there your really can't be for sure. but I am not going to hold my breath hoping they will make some Law and Order figures.
Ordinarily I'd agree, but with the greatly reduced sales volumes of figures these days I'm not so sure. Take everyone that was clamoring for a modern Russian figure then crapped all over the one that DAM recently announced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts