One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought my first Kumik head. (13-31np) In the product photos there are a lot that I like, so I was curious to see one for myself. But I had heard some people having problems or not liking them. The one that I got looks fine. It's actually an attractive face. However, it doesn't quite look like the product photo, but it's close.
The biggest problem is that the eye make-up is coming off after some light handling. I needed to trim the hair piece, so I was handling it a bit trying to fit the hair and eliminate the gap between the scalp and forehead. After doing that, I noticed half the eyebrows were missing. They weren't under my chair, so they must have rubbed off.
Another issue is where the forehead and hair meet looks a bit strange. Also, I think there is a little too much forehead. I like that the hair is interchangeable on these heads. But, it seems difficult or maybe impossible to get the hairline to look right.
I am wondering if this head might be a knock-off. Especially with the eye makeup coming off so easily. This head was 28.50. I've seen Kumik heads selling for much more. Maybe those are real ones and this one isn't. It might be well known by collectors that lower priced Kumik's are copies. But I'm not sure.
I've had a phicen for a couple years. But only recently got more into collecting and putting things together. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to repaint eyebrows and lashes. I have no idea how it's done correctly or even what type of paint is used. At least I can do something with the eyebrows. Even if it's solid brows made with a fine brown marker. But I would rather try to duplicate what was there.
Here are some photos of the head. No body yet. She's just mounted on a chopstick. Face Hair Head Lip Chin Face Hair Head Lip Chin
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Lip
Closer view shows the paint loss on the eyebrows and some loss of the eyelashes. It's a bit of a shame because the eye makeup was done very well.
The lip color and blush didn't rub off at all.

Nose Hair Cheek Skin Lip Hair Head Eyebrow Eyelash Comfort
This is what the gap looked like before trimming the hair piece.
The arrows point to the lip I trimmed with an x-acto knife. I trimmed off a bit less than half the inner lip.
Before trimming, the gap wouldn't close.

Face Hair Head Lip Chin Face Joint Skin Head Lip
I put the Kumik next to another typical head (Zc toys) to see the forehead issue better. On the Zc head, like other sculpts, the hair is above the forehead more. On the Kumic, the forehead almost rises above the hairline. Sort of like a hockey mask appearance. Maybe I can fix this. It just looks sort of strange to me.

Outerwear Purple Sleeve Pink Creative arts
I thought I would add this photo of a kimono I got on e-bay for around $17.00. Besides the cord it also has a wide obi that has velcro. And a bow that pins in the back.
Strangely, the kimono is about two inches too long. Maybe it's just this one. But it's nice for $17.00. It should be easy to shorten.
Since this post I found out that the kimono is supposed to be this long. Kimonos are supposed to be folded up at the waist under the obi which shortens the length. Glad I didn't trim it. The kimono is made by VS Toys. Comes in different colors.
Looks much better on a complete figure than a chopstick sporting a Kumik.

I hope this post is at least a little informative and not sounding too much like a complaint department.

·
Registered
574 Posts
What crusader said. They tend to wipe of easily and the forehead thing is common as well. What I usually do before I put the wig on my Kumik, is I spray the head with matte Mr. Super Clear to prevent paint rub. I'm sure you could do the same with any good sealant. Good luck!

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
I'd recommend using a very sharp watercolour pencil to draw on the eyebrows after a skoosh of matte sealer - that's how I do mine, and after another couple of coats of sealer they're very well protected.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'd recommend using a very sharp watercolour pencil to draw on the eyebrows after a skoosh of matte sealer - that's how I do mine, and after another couple of coats of sealer they're very well protected.
The water color pencils don't run when putting on the sealer? I'm assuming your talking about the aresol type?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've been lucky so far when it comes to the face paint on the two Kumik heads I own. For me it's been the join line where the forehead joins the hair piece that is the problem. What advantage is there for the hobbyist with this design? I love the face sculpt of my first one, but I lost interest in Kumik heads when I read of others having the same issue. I just recently purchased another Kumik, and I found the forehead/scalp seam much less obvious. I still admire Kumik sculpts, but I prefer one-piece heads, generally.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking a sharp art pencil or a fine marker might work. Watercolor sounds like a good idea. I would like to be able to remove mistakes. Then a sealer. Yes. I would think a spray on sealer would be necessary. But I guess the eyes and mouth should be covered.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been lucky so far when it comes to the face paint on the two Kumik heads I own. For me it's been the join line where the forehead joins the hair piece that is the problem. What advantage is there for the hobbyist with this design? I love the face sculpt of my first one, but I lost interest in Kumik heads when I read of others having the same issue. I just recently purchased another Kumik, and I found the forehead/scalp seam much less obvious. I still admire Kumik sculpts, but I prefer one-piece heads, generally.
I was surprised that the paint came off. I didn't handle it much and mostly by the sides of the head.
Actually, I like that the hair can be changed easily but it seems like a bad design. It seems the main problem is the hair needs to go all the way to the edge of the rubber scalp. Mine doesn't. There is about a 2mm space between the hair and the edge of the scalp. If the hair doesn't go all the way to the edge, a gap shows. I got rid of the gap by trimming the rubber of the hair piece. But this is because the forehead can now go over the hairpiece, instead of just butting up to it flush. That created a new problem of the forehead above the hairline. The gap is gone but now she looks a bit robotic. If the face painting turns out okay, I am thinking of adding hair to the front the scalp where it is missing. I'm sure I won't find hair to match perfectly but I may be able to add extra hair to other places on the scalp too, making two tone hair. Actually, the gap wouldn't be a problem if the wig had bangs.
I guess this head can be a good project piece. If all else fails, I can just paint on solid eyebrows and call it a day.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
The water color pencils don't run when putting on the sealer? I'm assuming your talking about the aresol type?
Yeah, I use Testor's Dullcote spray and I've had no problems with anything running. Obviously I'd advise against using a brush on sealer for that reason, though if you spray seal first then use brush on stuff it should be ok.

Here's my latest Kumik repaint/touchup with the watercolour pencil eyebrows, repainted eyes and some pastel shading. I rerooted the scalp piece and filled in the tiny gap between it and the face with black paint to help disguise the join. I'll do a proper post once she's dressed...

Before:

Breaana by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

After:

Her hair still needs styled so it's a bit bouffant right now. XD

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm still very much a beginner at this so I keep seeing areas I need to improve on!

Yeah, I actually just painted on top of the original finish this time rather than strip off all the face paint with acetone, but I applied a layer of dullcote between each major change.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She looks terrific. Great work on the details. You did a lot more work on the face then I intend to do. The eye repaint also looks great. I don't intend to redo the eyes so I'm thinking I will need to cover them or they will loose shine from the dullcote. Like you said, I guess it would be a good idea to also dullcote first. If anything, to seal what is still left. And the watercolor might work better over the dullcote. With my head, I just want to repair or fill in what is missing. It looks like the pencil would need to be very sharp. I wasn't sure if a watercolor pencil could make such fine lines. But you managed to do it. That may be what Kimik used too but didn't seal it. Thanks for the pointers Christine. I wasn't sure how to go about fixing the face.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Glad I could help! I wouldn't bother covering the eyes, just add a tiny blob of gloss (I used gloss medium) to the eyes afterwards with a cocktail stick or very very fine paintbrush. It gives a much more convincing shine than the original finish if you ask me. The trick is not to add too much or it bleeds out of the eye and you make her cry. XD

Regarding the pencils, I sharpened mine with a scalpel blade rather than an actual sharpener and it makes a huge difference as you can be really exact in how fine a point you get.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't expecting a Kumik to work on any of the phicens. Color would be way off and won't fit the neck peg without enlarging. It should fit one of the neck pegs that come with a jodoll but I doubt it color matches. Maybe wheat or brown, but probably not. I intended to use a kumik body with the kimono. But I guess some of the kumik heads don't even match their own bodies, which is very strange. Maybe kumik should only be considered for people who intend to repaint and customize.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I recently bought my first Kumik for use on Phicen, and it will probably be my last. I don't like the loose fit between the scalp and the sculpt. I also did a bit of trimming and ended up using high viscosity super glue to get as tight a fit as possible. Thumbs down to the ugly seams. Also had to completely Dremel out the head cavity to get the correct depth. The resin used is pretty nasty, so definitely wear a mask. Hair Nose Head Chin Eyebrow Hair Nose Head Chin Eyebrow

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I knew they don't fit phicens without a lot of mods. But they are supposed to go on a jodoll. I ordered a natural j-doll for an older phicen head. I will see if Kumik fits those. Maybe it will fit but the head could be to high or low on the neck. I should find out this week. But I doubt it will match the color of this head.

·
OSW Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My recent Kumik purchase is a 13-75, and the color matches a Triad Alpha very well, which is the body I had planned for it. I had to enlarge the neck cylinder a bit; simply a matter of hand turning a drill bit in it a few times.
I looked at the 13-75 and it might be similar in color to the 13-31. So the triad alpha might be a body that could match. It did physically fit on a jiaoudoll. There is a neck peg that fits. Doesn't color match though. But I didn't think it would. Not sure if there is another color that is close, but I wasn't thinking of using this head on a seamless anyway. If I get this head in the condition I would like it to be in, I will post some photos of the result.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts