One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to share my Kuban Cossacks with you. It´s a kind of WIP, they will get some horses and maybe I bash some more figures in their traditional Uniform.

IMG_9216 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_9081 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

The left figure has the Dragon traditional Kuban Cossack Uniform, the right one the Uniform made by Marsdivine
IMG_9017 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_9021 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_9040 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_9036 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_9053 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_6731 by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_6733 by petemit, auf Flickr

And yes...Cossacks can dance ;)
IMG_6782 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_6767 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

IMG_6773 (2) by petemit, auf Flickr

·
Registered
16 Posts
unfortunately, the figures are absolutely historically incorrect, they now look like fantastic dolls, not real Cossacks.
Almost all uniforms are inaccurate - there should be no buttons on beshmet and Circassian coat (cherkeska), Kuban Cossacks did not wear trousers with stripes, an extra second belt for a Caucasian dagger, an incorrect sling of a Caucasian saber, a Caucasian hood (bashlyk) of an absolutely wrong cut, very strange shoulder straps etc etc etc
Red Army Cossacks did not wear beards and were not armed with Caucasian swords, but with completely different models of edged weapons. The Cossacks did not wear spurs because they used a whip.

See correct images of Red Army Cossacks below.
The Kuban Cossacks (1943-1945)
Outerwear Neck Sleeve Coat Street fashion
Military uniform Military person Sky Gesture Headgear

The Don Cossacks (1943-1945)
Leg Hat Sleeve Cap Gesture
Arm Camouflage Military camouflage Military uniform Military person

The Red Army officers cavalry sword (shashka) and sling, 1927 pattern
Font Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Head Hand Eye Human body Gesture

ORs cavalry shoulder boards:
Product Rectangle Azure Font Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion, it is not enough just to put on all the available clothes and weapons on the figure, but you need to understand exactly what looked like and what and how was worn in the depicted era. Here in Russia we are well aware of the history of the uniforms and weapons of our army, especially during the Great Patriotic War. Please, first study the numerous available materials on the topic, first of all, the available photos , and then you can adjust the products of Chinese manufacturers like Marsdivine etc who do not understand the topic much.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Cossacks did not wear spurs because they used a whip.

See correct images of Red Army Cossacks below.
The Kuban Cossacks (1943-1945)
View attachment 407608
Thanks for the information, btw your photo shows a kuban cossack with spurs ;) But I searched the internet and yes, most of themy didn´t wear spurs. I never noticed that before and will change it. And their whip was called "Nagaika" ;)

The Officer in this picture wears some on the other hand.
cossack6 by petemit, auf Flickr

Red Army Cossacks did not wear beards
?????

cossack3 by petemit, auf Flickr

01AR5YQG by petemit, auf Flickr

cossack1 by petemit, auf Flickr

It was common for all cossack tribes to have moustaches or beards as far as I know. The second picture you showed was from the parade in Moscow after the war, and yes, they are all shaved there. A bit later their units were dissolved and individuality was suppressed.

About the Shaska...this one looks like one. So...Red Army Cossacks did have them?
cossack5 by petemit, auf Flickr

Thank you for the picture of the shoulder boards. It was difficult to see their real shape on the old WW pictures.

Anything else...yes...I took parts from Dragon and Marsdivine and bashed my figures. Sorry if they are "absolutely historically incorrect".

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my opinion, it is not enough just to put on all the available clothes and weapons on the figure, but you need to understand exactly what looked like and what and how was worn in the depicted era. Here in Russia we are well aware of the history of the uniforms and weapons of our army, especially during the Great Patriotic War. Please, first study the numerous available materials on the topic, first of all, the available photos , and then you can adjust the products of Chinese manufacturers like Marsdivine etc who do not understand the topic much.
If you look at all my figures in the past twenty years, I think you will see that I always try to build them near the to real thing. I do a lot of research. As Marsdivines Cossack came out I watched the yt video of gsoldiers.ru, yes, he says that he is not very good in the style of a Cossack uniform, but overall he was happy with it, and so was I.

Cossack warrior action figure review -WW2 - 1/6 - Marsdivine - YouTube

I think, a forum like this lives from people who show pictures. And it is good to have others who share their knowledge later on. That can help to improve things. You have given me some good advice in your first post, but acting like a "know-it-all" in your second post is not very helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is my attempt to present an officer of the Kuban Cossack of the Red Army in parade uniform, 1945.
Sleeve Hat Military uniform Military person Collar
Clothing Outerwear Hat Art Grenadier
Sleeve Hat Military uniform Belt Waist
Outerwear Hat Military uniform Sleeve Military person

The figure is not perfect, there is still work to do , I am in process of improvements.
The uniforms - mainly customized items of clothing and equipment with a few Marsdivine items.

As for beards - yes, we can see some photos of Cossacks with beards (mostly very old men), but these are rather exceptions. The vast majority of soviet Cossacks did not wear beards.

As for edged weapons, the cavalry of the Red Army was mainly armed with a dragoon "shashka" (with a guard) similar of the 1881 dragoon pattern, and a Cossack shashka similar of the 1881 or 1904 cossack pattern (without a guard).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kuban Cossack officer of the 6th Kuban-Tersk Cossack division in everyday uniform, Summer 1941.

Footwear Outerwear Leg Hat Wood
Footwear Hat Military uniform Military person Collar
Cap Military uniform Hat Glove Military person
Footwear Shoe Leg Sleeve Military uniform
Military uniform Headgear Sculpture Statue Art

As for uniform - khaki beshmet, leather ammunution belts (1932 pattern), shashka (cossack saber, 1881 pattern), Nagant pistol holster - beautiful custom made items from experienced masters , 3D printed and hand-painted order of the Red Star, other items - mix of Alert Line, Marsdivine, DiD (head).

p.s. In tribute to Sean Connery....

·
Registered
16 Posts
and one more figure, this time the Terek Cossack NCO of the 6th Kuban-Tersk Cossack division in everyday uniform, Summer 1941.
Helmet Sleeve Art Collar Hat
Face Military uniform Human body Military person Sleeve
Shoe Leg Sleeve Hat Collar
Outerwear Sleeve Art Street fashion Sculpture
Head Outerwear One-piece garment Toy Dress
Sleeve Headgear Hat Art Uniform

And again - khaki beshmet, grey Circassian coat with gazyrs (cherkeska), decorated narrow black Caucasian belt with Caucasian dagger are a beautiful custom made items from experienced masters ; boots, hat and Caucasian shashka (cossack saber) - from Marsdivine set, sling has been redone, hand made printed Red Army cavalry collar badges, head sculpt of Jason Statham :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts