One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not often I treat myself, but, when I do, I really do.

Having watched Wonder Woman on DVD last weekend, I decided to see if I could get Kotobukiya's 1/6 statue of her. I could, and I did. I always liked her more than HT's and she was that bit more affordable. Video reviews and one by Michael Crawford backed that up, so I took the plunge and she arrived yesterday.

You may note that I added 'ish' to the post title. This is because she isn't quite 1/6, more like 1/7.5. Mind you though, she is beautiful and worth every one of her 11.5 inches. The paint apps are stellar and the likeness to Gal Gadot is dead on. The arms on mine fell off if you breathed on them, so I secured them with Blu Tack. Also, they used the same gloss on her lips as they did on her eyes, it's just too much, so I fixed that with some satin varnish to give them a better looking sheen.

Overall though, she is really, really nice. Would I recommend her over the HT, yes! (Only if she's not next to any HT though.)

Here are some pics:

With toned down lips:

Though she comes with the BVS sword and shield, I've no desire to see BVS, I've always preferred stand alone movies to ensembles. GOTG is an exception, and Koto do a nice 1/6 Starlord...

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get where you're coming from, but, the articulated version gets pretty much stuck in one pose anyway. I would rather a more upright pose as you always have to have her above you to appreciate the detail.

CHEERS!

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the photos and the review. Beautiful and great craftsmanship. The only think keeping me from going for it is that it is not articulated.
Actually this Beautiful statue is slightly less articulated than my actual Hot Toys WW action figure. (basically she's a statue) LOL

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
Beautiful statue this one has been on my wish list for months, I made the mistake of not pre-ordering her when she was first announced
now she's way too expensive on eBay.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Looks good, very good. I'd be tempted especially as I take Baddog's point that the articulation on the current 1/6 figure isn't far above a statue anyway. With Justice League around the corner, there's probably another HT coming very soon, but who knows if it will be better articulated.

I had to think about the scale math. If it was 1/1.75 scale, this 11.5” would be over 7’ tall, so this statue isn’t as far from 1/6 as that. Gal Gadot being 5’10” should be at 11.66” in 1/6 scale, which doesn’t seem that far, but possibly you included her base within the 11.5” measurement. And I suppose they shoot Gadot to look taller onscreen, which increases the apparent scale gap. The statue itself may look small with 1/6 figures but it’s certainly close enough for using a recast of this sculpt on a 1/6 body, if someone hasn’t marketed that already.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts
Really nice and very sultry pose they did too, makes me think of Betty Paige more than WW but nothing wrong with that! Great job on the lips too!:thumb

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful statue this one has been on my wish list for months, I made the mistake of not pre-ordering her when she was first announced
now she's way too expensive on eBay.
I got her for £175 shipped from Dublin in Ireland. I didn't think that was too bad.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good, very good. I'd be tempted especially as I take Baddog's point that the articulation on the current 1/6 figure isn't far above a statue anyway. With Justice League around the corner, there's probably another HT coming very soon, but who knows if it will be better articulated.

I had to think about the scale math. If it was 1/1.75 scale, this 11.5" would be over 7' tall, so this statue isn't as far from 1/6 as that. Gal Gadot being 5'10" should be at 11.66" in 1/6 scale, which doesn't seem that far, but possibly you included her base within the 11.5" measurement. And I suppose they shoot Gadot to look taller onscreen, which increases the apparent scale gap. The statue itself may look small with 1/6 figures but it's certainly close enough for using a recast of this sculpt on a 1/6 body, if someone hasn't marketed that already.
No, 11.5 was without the base, she's about 12" with the base. She looks a lot smaller than any 1/6 figures I put her next to. I've seen her compared to the HT one in videos and she is definitely way smaller overall.

Recasts of heads tend to be smaller and that would definitely rule her out of being an effective 1/6 replacement. You could maybe get away with putting a recast HT head on the statue though.

CHEERS!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really nice and very sultry pose they did too, makes me think of Betty Paige more than WW but nothing wrong with that! Great job on the lips too!:thumb
Wonder Woman doesn't have nipple tassels! Kotobukiya could do a nice Bettie if they wanted to. I'm hoping they do a Diana training version.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
No, 11.5 was without the base, she's about 12" with the base. She looks a lot smaller than any 1/6 figures I put her next to. I've seen her compared to the HT one in videos and she is definitely way smaller overall.

Recasts of heads tend to be smaller and that would definitely rule her out of being an effective 1/6 replacement. You could maybe get away with putting a recast HT head on the statue though.
You're unquestionably right on the smallness -- and I notice disconcertingly that Kotobukiya labels her 1/6 on the box, reminding us you can't always trust that. I looked at "her" next to my 1/6 figures using Crawford's "Lifesizer" and she's not even "close enough for jazz."

Math says that an 11.5" figure of a 5'10" person would be 1/6.08 scale, which doesn't seem that far off -- so why does she look smaller? I realize I was making the mistake of not taking the boots into account. If that's a 6" heel then she's actually 6'4" and this 11.5" statue of her would be just over 1/7 scale (1/6.608 scale).

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't have thought they were 6", 2 or 3 maybe. Here's Gal next to the JL cast and she's in heels there too:

She's by no means statuesque.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I wouldn't have thought they were 6", 2 or 3 maybe. Here's Gal next to the JL cast and she's in heels there too:

She's by no means statuesque.
Useful picture, thanks. Not to beat this to death, but she's wearing at least 4" in the picture, and the WW boots may be higher. Your proposed shorter heels take it further off your own original guesstimate of the statue being 1/7.5. It seems to be somewhere around 1/6.5 or so. Minutiae aside, the real question to my mind is how does Kotobukiya put "1/6 scale" on the box? They must have know there are people who are specifically 1/6 collectors who'd be buying it effectively being misled. Imagine that kind of label mis-measurement by some company selling car parts, or construction materials, or parts for the Apollo 13 spacecraft?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know why they do it, still, most buyers will have other Kotobukiya stuff around which it will fit in with. Height aside, I think it's an amazing looking statue, and I bought it more for the look than I did the scale. Kotobukiya stuff always has been small.

CHEERS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts