One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Kitbashing 101 Crash Course

539 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Frame by Frame Figures
Hey guys, I spent the past 4 months buying tons of 1/6 bodies, clothes, accessories, heads etc. and I think I've learned quite a bit rather quickly. I had a lot of questions when I first started and they were only answered by spending tons of money haha. There may be others out there who are new to kitbashing like I was. If that's you, then I hope this Kitbashing 101 crash course is of help!
Reactions: 3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
You did a fantastic job on the video. I clicked the subscribe button!
You did a fantastic job on the video. I clicked the subscribe button!
Thank you so much! I really tried my best to make the video thorough and enjoyable to watch! I appreciate every subscriber! :)
Great video.

There is so much more you can add to kitbashing and customization of figures as well.

You can go to the Custom Tips and Techniques area here and add even more information to your videos.

The bodies are quite subjective. It depends a lot on what you are using them for. Sometimes the silicone bodies like TB League, or similar brands, are to expensive, and not as articulated as other brands because of the "skin". In those cases the bodies like World Box, COO Model, Hot Toys, Hasbro etc... are the way to go. And in extreme cases, you have to go further and start hacking up bodies to get more movement out of the joints. If you are going to be using clothing or full uniforms, the full muscle bodies will just be hidden anyway, and the clothing hampers the articulation even more. Since you're using them for animation, the muscle bodies work really well.

And when you mention heads, there are a lot of things that can be done to get them to work just right for your application, or choice of body. Your video shows some heads sitting a bit high on the neck. That can be fixed by pulling the ball joint receptacle out of the head, and drilling the hole into the head a bit deeper, then putting the receptacle back in to get the head to sit better/lower on the neck.

Kitbashing tends to be more swapping parts between different sets to get a desired look. That usually leads to customization. Modifying existing parts, all the way to full fabrication of pieces. And like you said, you can spend a lot of money quite quickly, especially at the prices for figures these days.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Thank you! Great idea. I think I'll take a swing by that Custom Tips area and see what may be good for some videos in the future. And you're right. In the comparison video between WorldBox and TBLeague I mentioned that if you're gonna have the figure fully clothed, there really isn't much need for TBLeague except for certain things like maybe the joints are stronger than some plastic bodies for holding metal accessories. I know that others have also had problems with the TBLeague skin tearing and stuff like that but I haven't had that problem thus far. Haven't owned them for years yet tho lol. And yep I've had to fix some heads myself. Instead of a drill, I usually use a linoleum cutting tool but same process pretty much just making the hold deeper/bigger. Thanks for the tip! Spending money quickly is definitely a common theme lol especially when I was testing out different bodies to find out what I liked most!
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts