One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this site is not exactly Star Wars central, but I was surprised to see no one posted anything Star Wars-related today, given it is (was -- well, it is still the 25th in Hollywood) the 40th anniversary of the original film's release in North America. Oh, I forgot about it too, but the local news were more attentive than me. So to rectify the situation, here are a few shots of my customized Vader. Seven photos at end.

I had told myself my Sideshow Deluxe Vader was the only 1/6-scale Vader I would ever need. But when Hot Toys did their own, I just had to upgrade to the better bodysuit. And then the better this and that until I might as well have bought the whole Hot Toys boxed figure. Well, almost--I am sure I haven't spent enough to warrant buying the boxed figure at the exorbitant price it sold. The truth is that both figures had their advantages and disadvantages. So in the end I created a hybrid.

The figure you see in the photos is made up of:
Hot Toys wrist pegs, harness, belt, outer cape, modified and partly repainted head, modified body, and slightly modified body suit;
Sideshow inner cape, shoulder armor, gloves, boots, greaves, modified foot pegs.

Compared to the two figures I started from, there are several improvements. The body is now the correct height (Sideshow was too tall, Hot Toys too short).
Unlike Hot Toys, the arms can now be posed straight down and also have better shoulder articulation; the gloves look right (even if the patterning is inaccurate for A New Hope -- and yes, neither is the visible chain for the outer cape); the helmet sits lower over the face mask; the ankles have better articulation; the inner cape looks nicer; the differentiation in color between black and gun metal on the mask is now both enhanced and film-accurate.
Unlike Sideshow, the bodysuit looks sufficiently thick and quilted, and it fits the body nicely, without making it look overly thin or loose; you can see the amber tint on the transparent lenses (I placed bare metal foil on the inside) if you shine strong light straight at them (which is the case in most of the photos, but usually hard to notice in hand); the outer cape falls heavier and more naturally.

Is it perfect? No. As some have pointed out, despite the slightly superior sculpt (in some respects), the Hot Toys head, harness, bet, etc, are slightly oversized. With all the clothing and body armor, the body also seems too broad-shouldered (or at least does not taper enough towards the base of the head). Much more bothersome, while the body suit looks great, I wish you could achieve more articulation at the knees, so that Vader can take a knee for the emperor (any advice?).

Some of my modifications were inspired or informed by Jazz Inc's youtube videos (but if you have my luck or skill or lack thereof, do not try to fix the nose -- I ruined one head and had to get another; and not having any delusions of grandeur, I did not do any electronics).

So, I've done my duty and marked Star Wars. I also hope this gives people ideas for their own projects.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Looks great. I have to say, the most attractive shelf I have is the detolf with the SSC Vader flanked by a pair of SSC Stormtroopers. Just iconic.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Very cool! Love my custom Vaders, lost count of how many 1/6 ones I've made... got sent this great vid on FB today! LOL. Not spam, don't worry.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks shovelchop81! And loved the videoclip. I don't usually dislike Batman, but after what he did to Superman and how he was acting with Vader here, I feel he has become an impertinent whippersnapper who needed to be put in his place.

·
SPQR
837 Posts
Great work mate,you have paid attention to some great details that work so well for a more rounded representation.I have the last SSC Vader but have yet to even take him out of the Box to display but I can tell yours is truly excellent in comparison.

·
11,540 Posts
Thanks shovelchop81! And loved the videoclip. I don't usually dislike Batman, but after what he did to Superman and how he was acting with Vader here, I feel he has become an impertinent whippersnapper who needed to be put in his place.
LOL, glad you enjoyed it! Don't know where Batman got a lightsabre from either!

Great work mate,you have paid attention to some great details that work so well for a more rounded representation.I have the last SSC Vader but have yet to even take him out of the Box to display but I can tell yours is truly excellent in comparison.
Which SSC one do you have? The ROTJ one comes with some excellent accessories!

·
SPQR
837 Posts
Which SSC one do you have? The ROTJ one comes with some excellent accessories!
Must have been the one before that then.He has a ton of extras like a second Helmet with it's own stand.It's hard to remember now he's been packed away so long. I've had nowhere to put him so he's kinda been languishing in a Box waiting for his day.

·
11,540 Posts
Must have been the one before that then.He has a ton of extras like a second Helmet with it's own stand.It's hard to remember now he's been packed away so long. I've had nowhere to put him so he's kinda been languishing in a Box waiting for his day.
No that's the one, awesome figure! Get him out of that box now!!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much Efbee! I think Sideshow has made three Vaders and I believe mine is the second. It sounds like the one you are describing. See photo below, which is a comparison between it (on right) and the hybrid custom version I just made (on left). I ended up reconstituting the Sideshow boxed figure by buying the pieces I used for the hybrid on eBay and rebuilding it (felt guilty about cannibalizing such a nice figure). The Sideshow Vader came with a nice big round stand (not shown), and the separated helmet and face mask on their own stand, and Vader's revealed face (Sebastian Shaw -- not shown because I couldn't get the camera to focus correctly).

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of the Sideshow Vader Deluxe, perhaps you can help me figure out a minor mystery. As noted above, that figure came with a ton of accessories (and the Exclusive apparently even included Vader's severed hand and arm). But even the regular version had Vader's unmasked face, and also the face mask and the helmet proper by itself. Relatively recently I noticed that this helmet has developed what I am pretty sure is a new feature that was not there when I first got the figure (unless I never noticed). That is a series of light scratch marks (see photo below). Unless it actually came that way and I was simply unaware, any idea how that happened? I am fairly sure that I would have remembered handling this helmet carelessly enough to have inflicted that damage myself.

·
11,540 Posts
Er.. do you have a cat? Could have played with it a bit.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Ephiane! Background is a placeholder until the sixth-scale GTP backgrounds finally get here. I copied-enlarged the 12th-scale backgrounds on a scanner/copier and pasted them on a foamboard background.
Shovelchop81 - as much as I love real pets, my action figures are my only ones.

·
SPQR
837 Posts
Thank you very much Efbee! I think Sideshow has made three Vaders and I believe mine is the second. It sounds like the one you are describing.
Yeah that's the one.When Chop mentioned ROTJ I wasn't convinced that was what i had.Because mine is definitely more of a mash-up of ANH and ESB Costumes.
As for the scratches I would have to dig him out and look.I remember reading that lot of guys received that Figure with variations of damage.Especially missing Tusks.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yes, the missing tusks saga, I remember that. Got mine, then an e-mail from the seller informing me about the issue and asking me to look if I needed a replacement. So I looked and sure enough one of the tusks was missing. But I found it in the box, glued it, and all good. Until, that is, he took a face dive and this time the tusk disappeared for good. I ended up buying someone else's one-tusk head from eBay and put them together - I have one complete head to use for photographs, and one without any tusks to keep on the body the rest of the time.
Anyway, this Sideshow Vader is really an ESB-ROTJ mesh-up, even without the Exclusive's severed hand+arm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts