One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fortunately, I got a DID Sd.kfz251/1 Ausf C from a nice local collector few monthes ago, but the details are too little to tell, so I managed to make it more detailed and lively looking.

First of all, I tried to modify it to riveted type from welded type. So I did some research online and very glad to find out some useful info: There are only 4 peices of 251 ausf C left worldwide, one only left chassis which is in Poland, one in France which is welded type, the rest 2 are both RIVETTED TYPE!!! (One in US Texas military museum, the other in UK Bovington tank museum)

251 ausf C Riveted type in TMM:

251 ausf C Riveted type in BTM:

Actually all my modification works are based on the pics of above 2, but this DID model got a lot of structure error and some of them did impact my work, eventually I got no choice but make some concession on it:brickwall

Btw, I DIY a blood banner and put it on the engine cover, the original purpose is for visual impact (I also know the real purpose is for air force identification convenience), but actually there are MP44 and pea dot camo are used, meaning the timing is already 1944 onward, at that moment, German almost lost all the air supremacy already, the armored vehicle like 251, most likely hide in woodlands in daytime with heavy camo, such as branch and leaves. So the blood banner with MP44/pea dot camo looks a little bit improper? But the visual impact of blood banner is irreplaceable, so I left it there. Does anyone know sth abt it? Thnx!

Below all images are taken by my smartphone as usual, thanks for watching!

Love this heavily weathered pants:

Attachments

· Registered
955 Posts
Wow, all those rivets give it an early war vibe. Very well done. With all the gear and such it looks like the Von Klampetts moving to Beverly Hills. I like that look. Soldiers tended to treat their vehicles like armoured RV's

Tim

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Very nice and busy.
I put together an early (panzer gray) DID 251, and after about 3-4 years the metal has rusted considerably. Still not to the point that it looks odd, but wondering how was your vehicle when you started to work on it. Had I rusted a lot.
Great job on the rivets and getting everything look like it does.

· Registered
5,201 Posts
VERY nice!

I don't think the flag across the hood looks too unusual given that it's a SS vehicle... them being a little more rabidly fanatical than the typical German soldier I can picture them "showing the colors" as a motivational/defiance sort of thing.

The amount of stowage looks very natural, not overdone as is sometimes done.

I think an older vehicle like this would likely be used for some special purpose other than just carrying grunts... command, commo, recon, forward observer, etc.

I like it... thanx for posting!

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice work, tons of details!
Great job on the vehicle, and I love the 'set dressing' - some very nice touches like the bike, and the guy eating the apple.
Wow, all those rivets give it an early war vibe. Very well done. With all the gear and such it looks like the Von Klampetts moving to Beverly Hills. I like that look. Soldiers tended to treat their vehicles like armoured RV's

Tim
Thanks for your comments!:thanks

VERY nice!

I don't think the flag across the hood looks too unusual given that it's a SS vehicle... them being a little more rabidly fanatical than the typical German soldier I can picture them "showing the colors" as a motivational/defiance sort of thing.

The amount of stowage looks very natural, not overdone as is sometimes done.

I think an older vehicle like this would likely be used for some special purpose other than just carrying grunts... command, commo, recon, forward observer, etc.

I like it... thanx for posting!
Thanks for your idea, so I can leave the blood banner there for granted.:applause

Very nice and busy.
I put together an early (panzer gray) DID 251, and after about 3-4 years the metal has rusted considerably. Still not to the point that it looks odd, but wondering how was your vehicle when you started to work on it. Had I rusted a lot.
Great job on the rivets and getting everything look like it does.
When I got my DID 251, it started to rust already, but no obvious rust can be seen at the surface. it just appeared in terms of many bosses (Maybe the paint suppress the growth), but I dont think I have trouble with it, I just polish certain location and let rust go out and leave it there, and do some wash weathering based on those natual rust. Effect looks OK so far and the rust stops growing...:dunce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.