One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on who's counting, China fought Japan for an upwards of 14 years by 1945.

China was at this time led my the Nationalist KMT. Lacking any major fire power, the army was a collective of warlord cliques which each ran their own units.

The only combat effective units of note in my opinion, were Chiang Kai-shek's German trained Central Army Divisions and Yan Xishan's Shanxi Clique units which are trained on Japanese and German lines. Both groups here are Light infantry at best and cannot contest against Japanese regular divisions in terms of fire power and volume. On top of that, both formations have to contend against Communist guerrillas poking for weakness from behind.

Squeezed between Communists and Japanese, KMT military doctrine begins to show it's weakness. Nationalist commanders used their best light infantry like regular infantry... Against communist irregulars, and are repeatedly flanked and encircled. In set piece pitch battles against the Japanese, Chinese forces cannot match enemy firepower, which results in further losses.

Nerveless China's German trained light infantry divisions under the leadership of Academy trained Officers and German advisers inflicted considerable damage to Japanese High Command:

This Kitbash depicts a Private from one of the KMTs better trained formations from Northern China in late 1930s.

The soldier's equipment and training would have been thoroughly German. Armed with local copies of German weaponry and led by Chinese officers according to German manual.

This soldier would have fought in Northern China, Shanghai, and finally Nanjing, China's Capital where the German Divisions made their last stand. They inflicted so much casualties that Japanese forces massacred the city after finally taking it.

·
Goon Squad
28 Posts
Love the figure! I think the German trained Chinese divisions were mostly destroyed in the Battle of Shanghai and Nanjing?
Also I thought they wore the more greenish uniforms with German helmets?
Awesome figure!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Yes you are correct in all the points. I'm under the impression that German divisions of the Central Army wore greenish brown in line with Southern Chinese forces. This soldier here is from Northern China, hence he wore pale blue. He is not part of Chiang's Central Army

Central Army divisions like the 87th and 88th divisions are fully decked out in German equipment. Northern Units like this one depicted to are partially Germanized in training, but lack the supporting firepower of Central Army Units. One major difference in illustration I saw are ammo holders.

Central Army units wore belts and had pouches, Regular/provincial units wore cloth bandilors

·
Registered
2 Posts
The history of the Chinese Nationalist Army cited with the figure on display is incomplete. China's army was strong enough to fight the Japanese for 14 years. This is how China earned its permanent spot in the United Nation Security Council. Besides the best German trained division, China's Nationalist Army was more than a million strong. If the Chinese army was so weak, Japan would have won in 3 three months as they claimed in the Battle of Shanghai. Check out these books: Forgotten Ally: China's World War II 1937-1945 by Rana Mitter and Soldiers of the White Sun: The Chinese Army at War 1931-1949 by Philip Jowett (This is a great reference of the many different styles of uniforms that the Chinese Nationalist Army had.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts