One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Killer Women of Sci-Fi by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Been meaning to put together a group shoot like this for a while, and finally got around to doing it.

Killer Women of Sci-Fi by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

This is the static, portrait shot. From left to right:

- Hot Toys Rey from "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" (2015)
- Phicen/Executive Replicas Caroline Munro as Stella Star from "Starcrash" (1978)
- (standing) Takara/Blue Box Toys Jun/Princess from "Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets," depending on which side of the Pacific you watched this show (1972)
- (kneeling) Phicen/Executive Replicas/Go Hero Wilma Deering from "Buck Rogers" (1928)
- Hot Toys Princess Leia from "Star Wars: A New Hope" (1977)
- Takara/Blue Box Toys Deunan Knute from "Appleseed: Ex Machina" (2007)

Killer Women of Sci-Fi (Behind the Scenes) by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Behind the scenes. I used a suspension stand to hang Wilma Deering and Jun/Princess in mid-air (and in hindsight, I should have had Wilma going in the other direction). This is the unedited shot with the wires un-erased.

My original idea was to have Deunan Knute sliding in under Jun/Princess while shooting her gun, but the rubber suit she's in restricts her movements to nearly nothing. I pretty much couldn't pose her in any meaningful way at all, so I had to drop her from the shoot. On the plus side, it meant I didn't have to suspend Rey looking like she's about to smack someone with her lightsaber.

Killer Women of Sci-Fi (Behind the Scenes) by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Behind-the-scenes part deux. Wires removed in Lightroom and some photo adjustments made.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
Very nice.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Excellent group. Well chosen.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Beautifully done. The figures themselves look great, but we knew that. The photos are terrific, especially that first one where they starburst out with Leia at the center.

Your "Killer Women of Sci-Fi" should be a Photo Calendar, and that first pic should be the cover. In the abstract it's a very appealing pattern composition but at the same time each of the women's poses seems natural and believable while dramatic -- which is a nice balancing act to pull off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts