21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some links to some more videos.

KSG Part 1:
KSG Part 2:

These are both about 45 minutes long, with more nutnfancy commentary that, again, I'm not a fan of, and I feel could shorten the videos considerably if pared down to the relevant points. However, it's nice to see guys running and gunning with the KSG. There are miscues, but IMO they're more training/ammo than equipment-related. I am a fan of this gun and will get on a waiting list when I return stateside in a few weeks.

And to my neighbors to the north: I sure hope you can get your hands on this once it comes out. After I get mine, of course! ;o)

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Good points Nick.

I think that this would definitely need to be a weapon that is dedicated to a certain role. Stress and Murphy are a b!tch. Case in point: the SF (or Oakland?) PD Cop who shot that perp on the rail platform when he meant to tase him.

Makes me wonder how the corps handles the "lethal/nonlethal situation? They're the lead proponent in nonlethal means in the US Military, and must have training/SOPs/doctrine in place to address that issue.

So, if it were to be loaded up with one type of ammo per scenario, and the officer (Breacher on a SWAT team, Patrolman on the beat, Game Warden etc.) was trained and proficient with it, I think that it would be damned practical. I mean, 14 breaching rounds fired without reloading? Talk about "flow" through a building.
Small point; it was a BART officer, who was assigned to a train station in Oakland. Not an Oakland cop. I'd love this weapon in my armory. I could see a lot of uses for Law Enforcement.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Small point; it was a BART officer, who was assigned to a train station in Oakland. Not an Oakland cop. I'd love this weapon in my armory. I could see a lot of uses for Law Enforcement.
Thanks for the clarification, zebraten. Someday this will be mine...

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,941 Posts
On a similar note, has anyone looked at the UTAS UTS-15? Different manufacturer, but similar idea.

Basically a similar design. Tubes are up top on this model. And I believe the breech opens on the right side like a standard scattergun, if you can go by the pics.

it's a Turkish company, and it is looking to get some manufacturing done in the U.S., so it can sell in that market.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm glad that you posted, Mike! I have news relating to this thread. As to the UTS-15, I've seen pictures, but no more than that. It doesn't look as finished as the KSG, and it looks like it might be pretty heavy. No way to tell from the pics, but I just get that impression.

Now, as to the news; I am now a KSG owner! Long story as to how I got it. I've had it out on the range, and it runs like a champ! I had a couple of difficult feeds, but those were due to short trokes on my part, which just means that I need to train more with this weapon, not that there's a problem with the gun itself. I'm looking forward to more range time with different loads. The Aguila Mini Shells look like a very viable contender for a home defense load, and I want to get ahold of some of those.

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts
Short Strokes? I thought that meant too much time spent down range:wink

seriously though if I had the cash I would jump on a KSG. Short funds is why I have learned to do my own basic gunsmithing.

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
I did recently shoot one at a demonstration my Gunsmith held at his range. Found it a bit weird at 1st but after a few rounds it settled in very nicely. No jams for me with a full load and 1 reload. Only saw a jam twice in 30 guys shooting and I'm not convinced they weren't operator error. I'm saving up for one. Soon as I can I'm getting it. This is perfect for home defense and CQB work. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Here's the article where I first read about this...And I am still trying to tackle making one for my 1/6thfgiures...just hate to mess up some perfectly good 1/6 shotguns for one of these...BUT if anyone wants to "give me" 1/6th scale shotguns [preferably some of the latest metal ones], I am willing to go all out and try m,y hand at making one or two.

http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-mesa-tacticals-kel-tec-ksg-15991.html

Bravo out

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
I made one for a guy some time back, can't remember who though, I'll look it up. Meantime here is a semi-auto I did for myself and the one I made for the guy. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,941 Posts
I forgot about this...

Sounds like the feed issue you had, SteveO, is a common one, not racking it hard enough. I heard the other issue with the tube selector has since been rectified. I'm hoping sometime in the new year will see me shopping for some new stuff. Just need to branch away from figures and stuff first haha.

I had a chance to handle the UTAS-15 at a gun show this past summer. None of the sellers at the show had the KSG. Iteresting beast thats for sure. And it would take a bit of getting used to that short length. I don't remember the weight being too much of an issue. Probably because of the short legnth. Sure can move it around easily.

Steve, since you have been practicing with yours for a few months now, any changes in the opinions of the gun?

Nice work on the 1:6 version Delta :thumb

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I forgot about this...

Sounds like the feed issue you had, SteveO, is a common one, not racking it hard enough. I heard the other issue with the tube selector has since been rectified. I'm hoping sometime in the new year will see me shopping for some new stuff. Just need to branch away from figures and stuff first haha.

I had a chance to handle the UTAS-15 at a gun show this past summer. None of the sellers at the show had the KSG. Iteresting beast thats for sure. And it would take a bit of getting used to that short length. I don't remember the weight being too much of an issue. Probably because of the short legnth. Sure can move it around easily.

Steve, since you have been practicing with yours for a few months now, any changes in the opinions of the gun?

Nice work on the 1:6 version Delta :thumb
Hi Mike!

Yes, I'm still muscling through the occasional "hard rack". I've read that there may be a mechanical reason for that, and I plan to address it with the Kel-Tec folks when I go to SHOT Show next month. Too many guys on line recommend making modifications to the gun that will likely void the warranty. I figure that talking to the source is the best way to go.
Yeah, the weight is not an issue, even with two full tubes, and the length makes the KSG a JOY to manipulate. I did add a Pachmyr Decelerator butt pad that goes a long way toward taming the recoil. I want to try out some of the Aguila Mini Shells when I can find them in stock. They're 1 3/4" in length with a corresponding reduction of recoil. There was some initial concern about the ability of the KSG to reliably cycle them, but Kel-Tec has come out and recommended them. It seems that the Aguila slug shell is a pretty much optimal home defense round.
I'm still "over here" for a couple more weeks, but I'll get to the range when I'm home before I head out to Vegas so I'll have some recent experience to discuss.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I just picked up on the Aguila Mini Shells references. A bud of mine who is a reloader and self-taught machinist, made up mini rounds quite a few years ago. They worked fairly well in pumps and autos, as I recall. Labor intensive when made at home.

We kicked around the idea of a single shot shotgun-based sniping weapon as well, with a sabot "long penetrator" round. but never went anywhere with that.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just picked up on the Aguila Mini Shells references. A bud of mine who is a reloader and self-taught machinist, made up mini rounds quite a few years ago. They worked fairly well in pumps and autos, as I recall. Labor intensive when made at home.

We kicked around the idea of a single shot shotgun-based sniping weapon as well, with a sabot "long penetrator" round. but never went anywhere with that.
The issue, as I'm sure you know, Mike, is that in many shotguns the lifter won't reliably transfer the mini shell from the magazine to the chamber. They tend to flip over and "fail to feed". Whether by design or happy accident (I suspect the latter), the KSG feeds them like a champ. This increases the per magazine (tube) capacity from seven 2 3/4" shells to twelve 1 3/4" rounds. In a home defense scenario, a one ounce lead slug moving at approximately 1250 FPS will resolve a lot of issues. And twenty five of them will resolve many more.

Interesting concept, the sabot round that you mention. Do you know why it didn't take off?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The sabot round faded due to low priority, I think. The theory sounded good, based on the Abrams' gun. Maybe somewhere, someone has already done it. I guess the main issue would be how it performed compared to conventional long guns.

I can see how shotguns designed to handle standard length shotshells could have feeding problems. I agree that Kel Tec's wizards probably worked the design to allow the mini shells a clean function. The extra rounds are a real boon to the carry load, and indeed, slugs are not only brutally lethal, but pretty accurate.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,941 Posts
Well, we have our first 1:6 options too now. The Dark Zone Agent Renegade, and another stand alone form a different brand. The VTS one is awesome. I'll try and get the figure built up this weekend.

I seem to recall a 3" sabot round for AP applications, but maybe I was just imagining that. Military rounds for barricades and anti-vehicle use. I wish I could find that article. Maybe I just imagined it.

A quick search shows some have been made. Even scarier are the flechette rounds. Those might as well just be nails, and they mess up the barrel.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts