One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1:6 Manufacturer
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!!
We are proud to announce The Kaustic Plastik SECOND ANNIVERSARY Edition box!
Only 400 pieces LIMITED EDITION!

This set will be a triple pack set!!!
Inside you will find all the accessories to build 3 different Gladiators!
Myrmillo - Thraex - Hoplomachus

All the items are based on the items of Museum of Naples (Pompeii items)

We will start the pre-orders soon!! Hurry up, because we will release this set at the end of November!!!
:thumb

This is the list of items inside (yes.. it's a GIANT and heavy box)

Features:
- Muscle Body KP03
- 3 Headsculpts (2 Headsculpt are the re-release of our very first headsculpts!!)
- Myrmillo Helmet (REAL METAL)
- Thraex/Hoplomachus Helmet (REAL METAL)
- 2 Arms Padding
- Leather Balteus/Belt
- Large Scutum/Shield
- Medium Scutum/Shield
- Small Parmula/ Rounded Shield (REAL METAL)
- Leg Long Greaves/Armor x2 (REAL METAL)
- Leg Greave/Armor Myrmillo version (REAL METAL)
- Leg/Shin Padding
- Subligaculum/Loin cloth
- Gladius/Sword (REAL METAL)
- Sica/ Curved Sword (REAL METAL)
- Long Lance (REAL METAL)
- Dagger (REAL METAL)
- Padded Arm Manica x2
- Leather Arm Manica (right arm)

Myrmillo

Thraex

Hoplomachus

Myrmillo Helm

Thraex /Hoplomachus Helm

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Beautiful figure. I don't collect gladiators, but that sculpt look like it has potential, so if its parted out I'll take it.

·
SPQR
837 Posts
So much stuff in one set and it's all just excellent.The detail and effort you guys put into your product just never ceases to amaze me.Love the new Headsculpt too,looks a bit like a certain Aussie Actor named Manu.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can't miss it. Will try to reserve it as soon as its up ;).
The KP gladiator was what the first 1/6 historical figure that I saw, and I got hooked.

·
Hi, I'm an addict!
3,470 Posts
another great looking sculpt from KP. Fabio, have you ever considered just releasing your headsculpts??

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
(The Hoplomachus should probably be depicted wearing the Myrmillo helmet, that is, without the griffin's head).
This is the original Hoplomachus helm from Museum of Naples (Italy)

In this helm of Naples the decorations shown the rounded Parmula and the Lance as well! :)

As you can see it keep the griffin's head.

Myrmillo helmet was not possible for Hoplomachus class, because too heavy and big.

Hoplomachus is often confused with the Thraex because they have many pieces of equipment in common.
They even shared the same opponent, the Myrmillo.

In many sites Hoplomachus helm is shown without Griffin. But this is actually not totally correct ;)
Probably they used both version. So similar in size to Thraex helm (smaller helm than Myrmillo), with our without Griffin.
Some theory said that instead of a Griffin it was an Eagle.

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I haven't yet seen mention/evidence of the griffin (or eagle) for the Hoplomachus helmet. But this is what makes these figures and your company interesting for me.

Junkelmann, in his Gladiatoren (pages 233-234), naturally refers to the helmet in your photograph as a Thraex because of the griffin. He makes reference to the decoration of the equestrian shield and lances.

He records that particular helmet as weighing 3.4 kgs.

Of the Mymillo helmets he describes, the weights vary: 1.88; 3.5, 3.6 and 4.2 kgs.

History is ever evolving! But there is something that is apparently consistent in depictions of the Thraex and Hoplomachus: the high leg padding.

:)
It's true somebody refers to the helmet as a Thraex, explecially in old publications.
But the last theories are almost sure it's an Hoplomachus, because the shield on the decoration is evidently a Parmula (small shield of Hoplomachus) and not an equestrian shield.

In a recent discovery named "Hoplomachus lamp"
We can see clearly on the creast a little animal head (probably a Griffin or an Eagle).

Totally true about the long padding on the legs (even if on this lamp is missing).
To make it perfect would be better make it longer.
But we tried losing totally the movements of the leg articulation :(
So we decided to make just short version (at knee)

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, as ever, for your input on the history angle.

Marcus Junkelmann's book has been regarded as the 'Gladiator bible', but as always, ancient history is always open to interpretation based on new finds and new interpretations.

Is the gladiator on the lamp holding the square parmula of a Thraex? Maybe the spear is representative of his opponent.

Nevertheless, the Hoplomachus parmula and spears on the helmet is intriguing.

It's a shame about the loss of articulation with the longer padding, as it would really make the look of this figure. I'd have sacrificed movement for a static pose - all my gladiators are posed pre-combat.
Especially for Gladiators discovery and theories changing each year.
On gladiator side we have a lot less information than Roman Army, where actually we know almost everything.
So nothing strange from this side.
Mr. Junkelmann's book "Was ist was: Gladiatoren. Kämpfer der Arena" it's a lovely book and for sure a bible for this kind of theme, but pretty old now (10 years now)

About Rounded shield, let's say that USUALLY they used rounded shield.
But there are some discovery of hoplomachus using a square parmula.
About this lamp there are some inscriptions inside and outside the lamp that let us know this Gladiator was actually an hoplomachus.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts
So much stuff in one set and it's all just excellent.The detail and effort you guys put into your product just never ceases to amaze me.Love the new Headsculpt too,looks a bit like a certain Aussie Actor named Manu.
I think it might be another soccer player rather than Manu Bennet.

Looks great!

Can see only one thing missing: long leg padding (upper thigh) for the Hoplomachus/Thraex.
Yeah, even my TV version has them.

Totally true about the long padding on the legs (even if on this lamp is missing).
To make it perfect would be better make it longer.
But we tried losing totally the movements of the leg articulation
So we decided to make just short version (at knee)
Sorry, just saw this answer here. Mine's fully articulated, I know it's custom not mass produced but there must be a simple way like having material that's not padded behind the knees? Or would that complicate production too much?

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,538 Posts
Sorry! You're absolutely right, I just looked at one of my posters and the scar is a dead giveaway, must be based on the last season.

·
SPQR
837 Posts
Sorry! You're absolutely right, I just looked at one of my posters and the scar is a dead giveaway, must be based on the last season.
All good mate,for me the longer Hair and the Scar was a dead giveaway that it was the final Season look.It's a really great sculpt.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Got the set as well. Now searching for extra bodies to make the retiarius for the first set, and maybe murmillo / hoplomachus for the second set

·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stage 2.

It took a while building the Murmillo because Astacius put up quite a fight.

He really didn't want to part with his neck plug. I heated the head repeatedly for long periods with a hairdryer, but it was only with brute force and pliers that it came out, albeit somewhat deformed.

I wanted Astacius inside as the other two sculpts are much more impressive and could be used in future non-gladiator bashes.

The unpainted section of the abdomen stands out in this photo:

The whole gang:

Hi mate get in touch with us at our email.
The defective parts you found are not standard at all.
We will replace you the body and the Thraex helm as well!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts