One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KATIPUNERO Cavalryman - Philippine Revolutionary/ Republican Army
1898- 1900
A Filipino KATIPUNERO Cavalryman were well officered and thoroughly drilled, and had the reputation of being the best soldiers in the Filipino Revolutionary Army. The Katipunan used three initials in their Flag symbol at the beginning. K K K for Kataas-taasan ( the highest), Kagalang-galanang ( most honored) Katipunan. This was the organization that formed the Filipino revoltionary Army against the Spanish.

On June 12, 1898 between four and five in the afternoon, General Emilio Aguinaldo ( later became the 1st Philippine President) in the presence of a huge crowd, proclaimed the independence of the Philippines at Cavite el Viejo (Kawit). For the first time, the Philippine National Flag, made in Hongkong by Mrs. Marcela Agoncillo, assisted by Lorenza Agoncillo and Delfina Herboza, was officially hoisted and the Philippine National Anthem first played in public.

The Act of the Declaration of Independence was prepared by Ambrosio Rianzares Bautista, who also read and patterned it after the American Declaration of Independence. Gen. Aguinaldo invited Admiral Dewey to the festivities, but the latter declined the invitation and did not even report the event to Washington. The declaration was signed by ninety-eight persons, including an American office, L.M. Johnson, Colonel of Artillery.

Sable Espanol 1848- diecast​

The Philippine American War was formerly termed the "Philippine Insurrection" by the U.S. The conflict has now been termed the "Philippine American War" by the U.S. government. The Philippine American War began on February 4, 1899 (a month and a half after the Spanish American War ended). It was a conflict local to the Philippines, being fought between the U.S. and the Filipinos in the archipelago. The war lasted officially until 1902, though fighting did occur as late as 1906. In short, the war was longer, much more bloody, but was not a global conflict. Significantly, the war was fought between the U.S. and the Filipinos. Spain was not involved. It was a separate and different conflict from the eight month Spanish American War.

Spanish Cavalry bridle and saddle​

"The Insurrection cost the U.S. about $8,000,000. More than 100,000 US troops had been used, fighting in 2,811 actions, losing 4,243 killed and 2,818 wounded. Filipino losses have been estimated at about 16,000 killed in combat and, perhaps, another 100,000 dying of famine and disease."

The "Rayadillo" uniform ( rays/striped lines) was Spanish influenced
the M1871/ 89 Spanish (Oviedo) Remington Rolling Block rifle, .43 Spanish Remington caliber.​

This day June 12, 2006 Philippine Independence Day. This was my entry for the weekend of Heroes 2006 1/6 Contest. Thank you, Maraming Salamat Y muchas Gracias to these great and generous support from Pedro Javier, Ransome Chua, Ray Ortega, Tim Kano, Antonio Morena, Roberto "El Necio" for helping me on the research and assembling the very important items on these figure.

This was inspired from the Illustration by Philippine Historian Daniel Dizon. and Thank you for Looking! :D

Philip

·
Humvee Madman
1,401 Posts
Thanks for sharing such an excellent figure. The horse and rider are both examples of fine craftsmanship and attention to detail.

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Dan

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
thatz simply a pieace of art!
the amount of details is mind blowing!
love the way you painted the horse
& the skin tones of the heros!

Did you weave those straw hats?
Did you make the horse?
How did you mix the skin tones for the heros?

once again, that one fine piece of work!

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
Terrific work!!! The figures came out perfect! Ever since learning about Jose Rizal, I became more interested in the fight for independence in Philippines, from the revolt against the Spanish to the Americans. Your work is a sterling tribute to the brave Filippinos who willingly gave all to fight for their right to independence. :thumb :thumb

G

·
Congrats!

After looking at all the contestant entries... I had a feeling you will win, The figure was the best one there. Congrats again for winning this year.
We did not get to contact each other to make that Samurai on a horse like we planned from last years convention.. I saw the tropies Sunday afternoon when they were getting ready to judge the figures.. I was wondering did they give $100.00 worth of gift certificate this year or was it a trophy only for the winners.. I did not enter any this year so I was not aware. Anyway, hope I can see you in the Dragon Convention in Anaheim in 2 weeks....... Congrats again bud!

RJ

·
Registered
256 Posts
That is truly a fine figure you have done there. Thank you for showing it to us. Also thank you for the info you give along with the figure. I was in the Philippines back in 2002, where I fell deeply in love with the country. Also their history caught a great deal of my attention. Went to Corregidor Island, the Rizal memorypark (where they have the statues of his execution), and also to the prison where they kept him till his final day. They even have the bullet that killed him on display there, along with his last poem "Ultimo adios". Outside they have his footsteps from his last walk from the prison to the place where they shot him. It was all very sad, but yet a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just a note, this work did indeed win First Place in the WWII and Before category at WOH2006. A Well deserved win!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dan,
Thank you so much! Glad you liked it.

Cosmic Baby,
The straw hat was from a a craft shop but I had to reshape it completely to fit his head.
The Horse was an orginal Marx Horse , totally refurbished replaced tail with synthetic hair- sanded down seams and whole body, primered and airbrushed,
used pastels colors to add skin tones/shadows on the muscles, then sealed with matt finished. Thank you again for your nice compliments.

Thanks Yugin,
Yes Philippine History is very interesting and harsh. As the Philippines was invaded by the Spanish, British, back to the Spansih,Americans and Japanese, back to the Americans.

RJ,
I though I saw you but wondered why you did not enter a figure this time. Thank god there was no Samurai again! :p The gift certificate was less I guess because there is trophy now. Thank you and glad you like it. Hope to see you in the DX06.

Kevlarhead,
Fort Santiago is a great historic place to visit I always make it a point to see. Wow you were able to visit Corregidor! I missed visiting that historic place. The Philippines is really a beautiful country specially the country side and islands.Missed the beaches. The World scuba diving congress has voted the Philippines the best diving spots in the world.
Pedro Javier did a 1/6 tribute to Jose Rizal in prison and has pics of it. Thank you for appreciating Philippine History

Joeriot,
The Katipunero "Rayadillo" uniform is MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES throught the courtesy of Pedro "Perry" Javier.

Graeylin, Thank you so much for your compliment. Did you enter a figure too?

Hi PAD,
I got to meet again Raymong Guilaini and I will be seeing him agin in the DXpo06.

Philip

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Philip, it's been awhile since we talked.

Wow! Another masterpiece, as always your subject matter and attention to detail are fantistic! I love seeing your work.

Bill.

G

·
Wow!!

Philip! another masterpiece! all the detail work in this figure is make it one of the nicest I've seen--great work! Nice job on the fixing up of the craft hat it looks like you spent weeks threading it all together. Like EVERYTHING! thanks for posting all the great pics too.
mary

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Philip, congratulations! Well-deserved, this is as cosmicbaby says, a true piece of art.
Philip explained each detail as we stood there at the display table, and I was particularly pleased to see DML's 'Fernando' in the role. Like we've seen so often, a figure that absorbs a lot of abuse can be transformed, with some care and paint.
So many fine, hand-made pieces, this is the trademark of Philip's work. He also showed a beautiful Foreign Legionnaire of 1870, holding a German Pickelhaube, which Philip had cleverly rescued from an obscure source.

Much like what we all see every month in KotM, Philip's entries stood among a field of outstanding entries.

·
Zen figure master
1,204 Posts
Outstanding talent creating such beautiful works of art. Lots of loving attention went into the figures as is plain to see. Congratulations Philip!

Ran

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Very timely post, LE. Wish the people here saw this thread, they would've been very amazed just like I am right now. MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill, Griz, Xavier, gaiagear,
Thank you so much !

Mary,
Yes that craft hat I had to wet it then remold/shape it with some quick and dirty approach to get the mold to settle.

Mike,
It was great meeting you again and rest of the guys! Thank you for those wonderful words! Missed celebrating with you guys at Hooters and where were you guys on Sunday? Armand won third on the dio he did! incredible work!

Ran,
I apologized for not giving you credit as you contributed a very critical part of the Rolling block rifle. Great to hear from you again! Thank you for responding!

jlg1md,
Send the guys back there a link to this forum. As that is what perry does send them to all his friends. Maraming salamat.

Philip

1 - 20 of 46 Posts