One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None really attempting to be historically accurate, just bits I thought would look cool together.

60's era Special Forces/Recon patrol/etc

WWII-era Soviet submachine gunner

I've got some more to post once I resize images and get them hosted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Soviet sniper team. Svetlana is basically unmodified aside from a new shirt to match her comrade and some modifications to her M91/30. I can't recall which figure the male amoeba camo suit came from, I just bought loose parts for this. The SVT-40 is the Red Horse model.

Marine in MARPAT uniform with MOLLE pack. Just wanted something a bit more modern than woodland BDU's in my collection. Hoping to find some ACU's and Multicam in the future. Unfortunately the MOLLE vest I bought was missing the pack support bracket. I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement without buying another vest.

Edit- resized last image to correct formatting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot these three. I really need to get some US WWII jackets.

A US soldier with M1941 Johnson rifle. This really should be a Marine or at least airborne due to the rifle's history. It was used in limited numbers by the Marines and had nice qualities for airborne troops since it was easier to break down and lighter than the M1 Garand.

The rifle reloads through a door on the right side below the ejection port with single rounds or M1903 Springfield clips. It can be topped off at any time, even with the bolt forward on a loaded chamber.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cool Russians Drake! I really like the first one like it should have the title "The Brave Soviet Saint". The Stoner gunner looks ready for a night attack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gaiagear said:
Cool stuff, Drake. Now a little more weathering here & there would make them look even better. Keep them coming nonetheless. :D
I haven't taken a big interest in weathering, I've had mixed results in the past and ended up scrapping uniforms. Fortunately those were 21C parts, but I'm a bit more hesitant with Dragon, DiD and BBi stuff.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
A nice selection of subjects Drake, and some real goodies in the parts. Can't have too many Russians/Sovs. I think both DiD and DML did the male-size "Amoeba" suits. They take a lot of work to get them to look right, I'm still roughing mine up and trying to get them to have the relaxed look one sees in pics.
The Johnson rifle might have come into possession of an infantryman thru dubious means, i.e., he might've swapped for it with a Marine who'd been issued a replacement M-1. They were good rifles, if a bit more fragile than the Garand. That would put him in the PTO at an early date, and he'd be one of those consumate scroungers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pukingdog said:
They take a lot of work to get them to look right, I'm still roughing mine up and trying to get them to have the relaxed look one sees in pics.
I'd be interested in any reference photos you have, as those are the only pieces of gear that currently bother me. The factory-fresh appearance just seems so out of place with the burlap wrapped rifles.

An odd detail I've noticed, both Dragon's and Red Horse's SVT-40 bayonets come with silver blades, crossguards and pommels. I haven't seen a 1:1 example like this yet, they all tend to be blued or otherwise blackened. Only takes a few minutes with some paint to fix, however.

pukingdog said:
The Johnson rifle might have come into possession of an infantryman thru dubious means, i.e., he might've swapped for it with a Marine who'd been issued a replacement M-1. They were good rifles, if a bit more fragile than the Garand.
I haven't fired one myself, but I've had the opportunity to check out two of them. The action is quite a bit simpler than the Garand, and the quick reloading is a definite plus. Some reports I've read said it the testing proved it was inferior to the Garand, but quite a few more say that it wasn't better enough to justify the time and cost to retool for a new rifle on the eve of WWII.

Here's a photo I took of an M1941 with my phone. I wish I had brought a better camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One I put together today. Not exactly complete as he could use a canteen, a musset bag and some more weight on the left side of his belt. Those metal DiD magazines really drag down on the belt. I'm not sure which jacket would be appropriate with this shirt and pants. They're from the BBi Red Parker figure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts