One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen Jiaou Doll "seamless" figures for sell on Ebay and they are usually a bit less expensive than the Phicen/TBLeague figures so I was just curious what the differences betwenn the two brands were.

Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
For the female variety, there are 2 main distinctions between Jiaou Doll and Phicen designs.

1. Phicens are fuller at the hips and thighs and chest while keeping the small waistline, whether muscular or not. Jiaou Doll's design go for the slimmer Asian physique. Of course, the recent releases from both companies offer fuller curvy bodiies, and Phicen/TBL have added 2 different petite and teen sized bodies, and the current supermodel sized release.

2. Jiaou offers a different and wider skin tone selection compared to the limited 2 tones offered by Phicen/TBL. However, both compliment the market in providing a good range of skin tones to work on.
My standing wish is for African dark skin toned seamless bodies to be produced by them, and of course headsculpts to go with them (from others?).

I do have some comparison photos here: Cross Brand Colour Matching - TBLeague, Jiaou Doll, Very Cool, Kumik & Heads

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, are the Jiaou Doll figures as durable and well constructed as TBLeague's figures?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Different materials used have different quality levels. Of course all are affected by clothing staining, particularly dark colours such as black. But phicen uses silicon which seem to take handling better. The Jiaou uses some kind of coating over the TPE that seems to peel due to sharp fingernails etc, when handling. Phicen joints are stainless steel, and the joints seem to hold an extreme bent knee (especially) in position better. The Jiaou skeleton is composite (plastic and steel parts), and I've experience its lesser ability to do the same, at least for the knees (elbows seem ok). The Jiaou feet have inconsistant QC to the tightness of the feet when connected to the leg ball joint. As such, some of the feet tend to come off very easily (even drop out), specially when changing out thigh-high boots, where the feet gets left inside, and it will take some effort getting it out. I often had to find another tighter foot from another Jiaou Doll set to replace the loose one.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not to say that I don't like Jiaou dolls, but I do like the darker tones that they offer, and the slimmer body options. Just to hitch on this thread, here is my latest kitbash with a Jiaou Doll KT LB body for this version of Captain Marvel!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
Let's see.

Early/first run PHICEN bodies experienced much design/quality control problems along with collectors who didn't follow proper care and handling because they didn't bother to read the f***ing instructions.

As with anything, PHICEN's design and quality after much cost/expense by collectors in terms of paying for BETA products.

JIAOUDOLL experienced the same learning curve as PHICEN along the same line more or less, but JIAOUDOLL's problem is primarily marketing and lack or proper promotion due to inept incompetence on the corporate level.

The same pitchman who once promoted PHICEN (but no longer does due to business disagreements) now pitches/promotes JIAOUDOLL and tried to manipulate them into handing over exclusive distributions, but fortunately JIAOUDOLL knew better.

JIAOUDOLL earned some very bad criticisms and still do depending on who you ask.

They offer "variety" that PHICEN/TBL does not and doesn't have the same design and quality improvement curve that PHICEN/TBL does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only have a few of each brand, but I noticed that the Jiaou Doll figures are not completely symmetrical. Generally, I see differences in the sizes and shapes of shoulder joints and hips. I have not seen similar differences in the TBLeague bodies.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I only have 1 Jiaou Doll and I didn't like how slim the neck was, it makes all the head sculpts look really weird/ out of proportion on such a tiny/thin neck. Also, body parts are kinda uneven. But I do like their suntan/wheat color. It fits HT head sculpt much better than Phicen/TBLeague. I bought one and stopped, the slightly cheaper price isn't worth it. You can get TBLeague for as cheap as $45 to $50. They're actually $50 on BBTS right now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The reason why I still got Jiaou Doll bodies recently is because of skin tone matching. But the TPE is just too sensitively fragile and peels very easily from handling (fingernails are the culprit). But the hands/feet joints have been tightened/improved with this current modification. I do prefer the TBL shape in general, compared to JDs, but not the limited 2 skin tone choice. JD female busts models tend to be exaggerated, especially the Euro model. The hips of the LB seem a little small in relation to the bust, and the waist seem relatively small. The figures are generally more slender, but look ok when dressed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen Jiaou Doll "seamless" figures for sell on Ebay and they are usually a bit less expensive than the Phicen/TBLeague figures so I was just curious what the differences betwenn the two brands were.

Thanks
Others may disagree, but this is what I have noticed...

Jiaou Dolls are made of a softer substance than Phicen dolls. This leads me to believe Jiaou won't last as long. They feel quite "foamy" and squishy. Whereas Phicen feel quite solid and heavy.
Another win for Phicen, is their detailing. The body molds are much more defined for things like muscle definition and belly buttons than Jiaou doll, and especially if "full body" (genital) detail is your thing. Phicen's dolls with genital detail, blow Jiaou out of the water. Jiaou doll's female genitals look more like a molding mistake than a conscious design choice.
My biggest issue with Jiaou however, was range of motion. I found them to be less pose-able than Phicen.

I bought 2 Jiaou's on ebay for a decent price, but I ended up selling them on immediately due to the reasons above. You get what you pay for.

The one major upside of Jiaou dolls, is the broader range of skin tones, meaning they are the only seamless bodies that suit certain head sculpts (like some Super Duck heads for example). They also offer alternative body shapes that Phicen don't (curvier, and slimmer options, as well as MASSIVE breasts, if you need that sort of thing).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jiaou Doll. I got the female Pink skin large bust non-detachable feet version.

Material is slightly softer and squishier than Phicen. Less dense feeling. I think partly due to the weight of the Phicen steel skeleton giving a denser feel. Try lay down Jiaou and Phicen and squeeze. it's only slightly different.
Body is much lighter in weight due to plastic + steel joints.
The rubber has this oily feel when you squeeze it and has a floral fragrance. I washed it with soap and baby powder the body. I have a feeling the oil will seep to the clothing. Someone with more experience than me can comment if it's good or bad.

My biggest peve... Wrist ball is slightly larger than Phicen which is a problem fitting some hands. i'll have to file them down. Don't know if this is fixed in newer bodies.

The joints are not as stiff and seems like it can be loose fast. Doen't hold a pose as good as Phicen. Seamless feet can only move up down and sideways. They cannot swivel rotate. bummer.

My version is big breast but hips, butt and legs quite thin. I'll buy a European version and test soon.

I got my Jiaou Doll at 35 USD so I cant complain vs 55 usd for Phicen. Will use the Jiaou for less dynamic poses and fully clothes figures.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Despite some of their limitations as compared to tbleague, I do think Jiaou bodies can be useful if one requires a wider range of skintones for headsculpt skintone colour matching, as martian stated above. And the thread martian has made regarding all the various heads that match the Jiaou bodies is amazing and sooo helpful, and I can't thank him enough for taking the time to do that! :)

That being said, from my personal perspective and experience, I am more inclined to go solely with tbleague, for the simple fact that I find them made from sturdier material and thus more able to be customized in certain ways. My primary use for them at this time is to make custom female SW alien characters --- and they are the only seamless bodies I can use the oil pastel colouring method with. This method requires applying the colour directly with an oil pastel stick and also washing the body with soap afterward. I tried to use it on a Jiaou body once and it was a complete disaster. The Jiaou 'skin' started tearing and getting huge scratches in it immediately. It also doesn't stand up to being washed with soap at all. I realized later that 'TPE' material the Jiaou bodies are made of is in fact the same kind of stuff that Styrofoam is made from, so it made sense that would not stand up to that. I've also performed 'bust reductions' successfully on tbleague bodies, but the material is too delicate on Jiaou to handle that method. Because I primarily use seamless bodies for customizing, tbleague wins out on that score. The tbleague silicone may not be indestructible and can deteriorate in certain ways over time, but it is nonetheless still much hardier than the TPE when it comes to that sort of thing.

Also, on an aesthetic level, I tend to prefer the shapes of the tbleague bodies. They seem fuller and more balanced in overall shape, and also have a bit more realism in the body sculpts/molds. Since tbleague also now have some shorter bodies in their range, this also makes me prefer them, since I like female characters to be on the shorter side. As a female collector/customizer, I'm not really bothered by the 'secret parts' one way or another so it's not a deciding factor for me, but I do agree the ones on the tbleague seem better, albeit they are not always perfect either. And honestly, neither tbleague nor Jiaou is ideal for me when it comes to bust sizes.... I much prefer smaller busts on my figures, and other than a couple tbleague bodies that have mid to smaller size bust, most are far too large for my tastes. But at least I have more chance of making them smaller on the tbleague.

That being said, I still think Jiaou have their uses and can sometimes come in handy if one has a particular sculpt like a Kumik or some other brand that isn't compatible with the neck peg on a tbleague. I do like how the Jiaou bodies have swappable neck pegs, and I often wish tbleague had some kind of option for that. So, even though I tend not to use Jiaou too much myself, I'm glad they exist and may at times need to use one if some part I have is not compatible with a tbleague body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible to paint these materials permanently? such as a tattoo or tan marks?
I know I'm off topic a bit, I'm sorry but I'm about to buy one of these figures (TBLeague S10D or S38A) and part of my plans were to customize it

·
Registered
798 Posts
Is it possible to paint these materials permanently? such as a tattoo or tan marks?
I know I'm off topic a bit, I'm sorry but I'm about to buy one of these figures (TBLeague S10D or S38A) and part of my plans were to customize it
This material, whether TPE or silicon, absorbs paint, and I believe, given the nature of such absorbent material, tends to spread easily with diluted paint. If you dare, you would have to use thick acrylic paint. But it could debond over time. That's my take with regards to this material, having used acrylic on various absorbent materials before. Your best bet would be acrylic fabric paint which could take stretching and machine washing.

There are people at OSF who have experimented on colouring the entire seamless body with oil pastels. I have seen someone digitally tattoo a TBL body else where, but not physically.

Hard plastic jointed bodies would be more appropriate for tattooing work.

PS. I've seem a seller on Taobao.com offering decal tattoos for 1/6 figures. But would only consider hard plastic bodies for those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the info. as soon as I receive my figure I will upload photos and my opinion on this type of pieces, I hope and that will help future buyers

·
1:6 collector
2,101 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Acrylic paint will not work, as it will crack and peel, if it cures on the TPE surface in the first place (you can expedite curing by blasting it with a hairdryer) -- at any rate not a permanent solution. There are several viable options, but the one that seems easiest and most reliable to me (and the only one I have fully tried, repeatedly and successfully) is the (non-water-soluble) oil pastel technique. Apparently something similar can be attempted using thin layers of actual oil paint, but I have not tried that (if fully viable, this option gives the advantage of much easier color blending/mixing than oil pastel). I also cannot offer any personal testimony on the RIT dye technique (as I have not attempted it myself), but I know some of the experiments resulted in colors that became lighter over time, although at least the initial (or others'?) results were very impressive. Others have tried using chalk, but that requires a sealant that will give you a sparkly surface.

Two of my most recent experiments:

You can read through the linked thread (starting with Post 16, also see especially Posts 19, 30, 39, 48, 58, 59, 145, 152, 197, 205...) --
Painting Seamless Bodies (Oil Pastel)
Dyeing Seamless Bodies (RIT Dye)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts