One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
1956 Israeli Airborne Forces dropped in and around the area around the Mitla Pass in the Sinai Desert.There objective was to take and hold the Pass ,deny its use to the Egyptian Army and ambush and destroy any enemy force who tried to use the Pass.The initial drop went well,the Para,s dug in, ready for an Egyptian counter attack,which did not come.Reinforcements dropped the next night,things looked good.
This was a risky operation ,to say the least,the Airborne Brigade was miles behind enemy lines,friendly ground forces were expected but when?.If they did not arrive the Para,s could become cut of and destroyed,funny seems this happened before.Reports had the Mitla Pass ,lightly occupied by elements of the Egyptian Army,these would be no match for the Para,s.An initial patrol sent into the Pass,proved this information to be wrong,the enemy was there and in strength.

At this time pride and overconfidence came into play.Jealous at not being first to drop into battle,Mordechai Gur ,pleaded and demand,with Sharon,who was in overall command of the Paras on the ground,to let his 88th Bat take the Mitla Pass,Agreement was sought and given from Israeli High Command.for a small reconnaissance in force to go ahead.This small force?,ended up being the whole of Gur,s 88th Bat.The reason being,Paratroopers go on patrol as if going to a major battle,how true this would be.Many in Israeli,s Southern Command HQ,were nervous about this operation,were the Paras way in above their heads,could they also have a disaster on their hands any time soon.

As the lead elements of Gur,s men entered the Pass they came under heavy fire,they had walked into the midst of an Egyptian ambush,the battle had begun.Group after group of Paratroopers were drawn into the cross fire from well placed guns,as they desperately tried to rescue their comrades.casualties started to mount,communications with higher command broke down.this was now starting to turn into a disaster.anyone trying to reach the pinned down Para,s soon ended up caught in the same murderous cross fire.For hours they took losses and suffered the storm of lead,enough was enough,with night starting to fall,it was time to hit back.Small groups of Para,s stalked the M.G posts ,many hidden in caves,and with Uzi,s and grenades silenced them one by one.By the early hours of the following morning the Mitla Pass was firmly in Israeli hands.
The Mitla Pass Battle ,was risky and nearly cost the Israeli,s their entire Airborne Brigade,but they learnt from it.While senior officers ,did not come out with much glory,them troopers on the ground did.With courage,determination and skill at arms they had turned a possible defeat into a glorious victory.From that day on the Israeli Airborne ,earned its elite status.
By 1956 Israeli Paras had taken on a new look.Jump smocks,similar in style to the then current British ones, but in Olive Green .with Olive Green combat trousers were issued.High leg brown jump boots.The WW11 style Brit,jump helmet was still standard issue,albeit with cloth and netting covers,both held with a tan rubber band.Israeli manufactured and copied web gear,and the excellent 9mm Uzi SMG,seen in its first form with wooden stock

That,s him IDF Para No3 done and dusted.Thanks for looking
Cheers Gordon

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Fine fine job, Gordon. Stunning uniform and web gear, all backed up with a history to define this figure.

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
wow thaat's a great bash and history lesson to boot. i know you probably couldn't do anything about it BUT that zipper looks HUGE and def overscaled..still awesome and unique bash!!

peace
Miguel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gordon,

very nice bash.
can you explain how you made that harness? i am wondering what pouches you used from wat figures etc. especially the pouches for the uzi mags..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy,s for the comments.Sadly the pictures of this figure are not as good as I would have liked.It was a bad day for light and everything came out too yellow sheesh.
badass
The harness is built from various sizes of painted cotton tape,with U.S adjustment buckles at the front,with WW11 British type brass strap end taps .British WW11,buckles at the rear,all held to the belt with U.S snap hooks.
The belt is a modern two grommet style,with British belt buckle added,the small belt on the rear ,to hold the entrenching tool handle,again painted tape and a brass buckle solved this.
The first aid pouch and canteen came from DID,just been repainted,the knife an old BBi version with new canvas straps.All these hung on the belt with homemade wire hangers.The Uzi mag pouches ,start with a painted balsa core,the top of this cut to look like individual mags.The pouches get built around these,once again with painted tape of various sizes.The snap fasteners are ,made with plastic discs,made with a punch and die set,painted and added,thin foil supplies the metal tab ends.These two pouches get fixed to a much wider backing piece off cotton tape,on which is added belt support hooks and straps.I have ended up with both pouches as one complete unit as per original.The twin grenade pouches ,get the same build system.
Its not too clear ,but I went for an empty look to some of the pouches for this fellow,awkward to do but managed this part.
Thanks again for asking

·
Loser 6
618 Posts
Gordon, excellent figure- inspiring as other's here have stated. I would like to try my hand at one after seeing this........Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts