One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

is your hobby a secret

4K views 89 replies 79 participants last post by  Kuroi 
#1 ·
Hi Guys
Thus topic was posted in a British forum and Im just curious to see weather fellow American collectors are as in the closet as British collectors are

Cheers

Paul

#3 ·
Yes. There has been times I was supposed to hang out with friends and I got a box in the mail that day. I'd tell them something came up with my son. The only person besides my son who knows is my mom, who only knows because I had boxes sent to her house while I lived in an apartment. I sometimes make reference to working on "models" to some people I work with.

#9 ·
Nope, no secret here. I am a member of another forum that is comprised of past/present Cav Scouts, and they all seem to get a kick out the work that I show there. The last tour I did in Germany, I had some fig's in the window overlooking the street , and it lead to a couple good German friends after they worked up the courage to address me about them. One was younger, and became a 1/6 recruit. He most certainly hated it when I returned to the states, as I would have his stuff sent to my APO to cut down on shipping costs and BS. One was a WW2 vet with the Gross Deutschland, and became like a Grandad to my kids while there. Many a good nights drinking, and boy , could he still pour them down, uggghhhh.

Of course, they have been known as unsettling to some of the female variety that I have had visit. One thinks they are cool, but gives me good natured ribbing about then, and another stopped in the middle of things and said " omg, they are staring at me, I can't do this here !! ", bwahahahahahahahaha :rolling :rolling :rolling

#16 ·
Nope, got a room full of them on display, i show them proudly to anyone who even walks into the house. I have a display case in my office at work, just so i can rotate two figures through my office, and have something for the guys to see and ask about.

#18 ·
i neither advertise nor hide.if someone has a problem with it...then they have the problem. if anyone busts wise...tell them you are perfectly comfortable with your masculinity and they can always knock back a few and drive their car into a tree if they need to assert theirs.rugby?..skydiving? wrestling sharks? oh please...that is soo weak. real men play with toys.(i apologize to any female OSWers out there..but i think only men catch heat over this)(do any of you ladies get the hairy eyeball over this hobby?)

#19 ·
I advertise Peril Unlimited and all my co-workers know what I do... and the debate about whether they are "action figures" or "dolls" lasted months across three diffrent shifts. In fact the debate would undoubtedly still continue if Websters Dictionary hadn't "settled" the debate.

#20 ·
Lazerbeak said:
I advertise Peril Unlimited and all my co-workers know what I do... and the debate about whether they are "action figures" or "dolls" lasted months across three diffrent shifts. In fact the debate would undoubtedly still continue if Websters Dictionary hadn't "settled" the debate.
Oh, man don't leave us hanging!!! How did Websters answer the debate - or am I gunna have to get off my lazy keester and check for myself?!!

#21 ·
for me it is but its not, nearly all of my family, and close family friends no about my hobby, but friends at school, i think dont need to know, but if they ask ill tell em, funny thing though, stupid, but a little while back, i had a friend from school who is like the big athlete popular kid we all know the type, but i had him over, and i putt al my 1/6th stuff away cause i didnt want him to think i was a loser, not that i cared but i did it anyways, but i forgot to put one of them away. we walked in my room and i saw him in the corner of my eye and i got a little nervous at first, and while we just hanging out, he finally got up like he had been waiting for something, went up to the shelf where he was and said, exact words "Damn dude this is F***** awesome, you got anymore" i was shocked at first that he was intrested in it, but not as shocked as i was 2 hours later when we put together about 8 fully loaded figures. my best friends know i do the hobby, and they dont really say anything about it, and sometimes they even help me put some together when were bored. so id have to say like others, i dont tell anyone, unless they ask.

#26 ·
I was in the closet about it in the beginning.....but I am the Rhino. No wussies here. I tell people what I do in my spare time. I almost had a convert this past summer until he heard about the costs....and he ran screaming.....right to the nearest hobby shop and picked up some SSC Bond figs and quit right after that.

My Brother gives me the hardest time about it, even if he loves those Jackie Chan figs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.