One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

· A Shadow in the Light
1,277 Posts
I don't brodcast it but don't hide it either. Family & Friends mostly nieces & nephews love the Star Wars, Zombies, and Predator figs while my brothers & friends like the various military & law enforcement figs. I also get a lot of "playing with dolls" lines all in good nature though.

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi my name is Paul and I'm an action figure plastic crack addict. Heck no I do'nt hide anything about my hobby. People ask me what I do for a living. I tell them "I make toys". That opens a whole conversation about the hobby. I end up giving them a business card. When I see them again They always comment on how kewl our figs and dolls are.
Last few times I've been in the hospital for surgery the wife has always sent one of my Cy girls with me. She says, "to keep you company and watch you while I'm gone". Kinda strange but I think it's her way of coping because she ca'nt take time off of work or our children to sit in a hospital with me. It is kinda cool cause I end up being the center of attention while I'm there. I almost always end up with Nurses and CNA's coming in to show the other Nurses and such my girl. I did have one ditz call her a Barbie last time I was in the Hospital. I was still out of it from the drugs and called her a few choice words. Needless to say she did'nt come back in my room all night. If and when I have to go back to the Hospital I am gonna take one of my guys. After that one I think I need someone to stand guard. ;)
Paul

· Registered
3,539 Posts
Nope. It's not like I go around telling everyone I meet about it, but when it has come up in conversation I tell people I collect and customize "the big Joes" and other military type figures. I've had a positive reaction from everyone whose learned about it. My neighbours from next door and across the street were tripped out over my bashes and boxed figures when I showed them off at a house warming a few years back. At one point I even had a Tank Commander on my desk at work at my previous job, and more of my coworkers played with posing it than I ever did. (Now my desk is too cluttered with work for any figures.)

· Registered
345 Posts
This is always in interesting topic for me. While I'm not ashamed of the hobby, I'm pretty particular about who I may let know. This is also the case for several hobbies that I participate in (comics, garage kits, collectibles). I know that it's easy for people to say screw whoever can't accept it, but that's not always the easiest to do.

I almost always fall back to the whole "Scale Model" thing with most people and that usually works pretty well. I've had the Spec Figures book at work with me several times and I'll show it to co-workers that I am friendly with and they accept it pretty well and they are generally pretty impressed with the talent.

But there are people out there that will never see it as anything but playing with dolls. That is what makes me particular about who I let know. If there is anything that derails the whole "Scale Model" defense, it's when they're flipping through the Spec Figures book and they happen to land on the one Female Figure in the whole book that has nothing to do with the theme of the rest of the book. With real hair, makeup, lipstick and big boobs there is no argument in the world that is going to hold water against the whole playing with Barbies stigma.

While I am not trying to push this discussion into another topic, I'm just laying out my thoughts on why I may keep the hobby secret from someone. Like it or not there are people that you interact with in your life (bosses, coworkers, etc.) that will never see the hobby for what it is and while I'm proud of the hobby, I sometimes am forced to leave it hidden.

· I'm BACK!!
22,103 Posts
My hobby isn't a secret, but the amount I spend on it is! When you still live with your folks like I do (Yeah, yeah, I know, but I will get out one day!), your Mum likes to get nosy when you spend more on yourself than you give her for housekeeping.

CHEERS!

· Registered
539 Posts
tigerstripeblue said:
.rugby?..skydiving? wrestling sharks? oh please...that is soo weak. real men play with toys.
Never wrestled sharks but I'm very familiar with rugby and skydiving and in my opinion are poor choices for proving manhood. I played rugby for years and it's a sport that requires a lot of dedication, and yea a little toughness however it also required, in my case anyway, a lot of money for medical bills. Ditto skydiving as you can quickly go broke (and many people have) jumpin' out of airplanes. Again, poor choices for trying to prove manhood. Also, some of the best jumpers in the world are women. As an aside, not sure what's up with women from Brazil but many have become instructors with less than a hundred jumps under their belt (and, um, they don't look like any men I know).

As for the hobby, I expect to get the most heat from my now 5-year old in about 2 years or so. I say this as it's about then that he'll realize the time (and money) required to put his (and my) figures together. Not sure how he'll word it but I'm guessing he'll question why perhaps I spent more time "with his army guys" than he or his friends have.

Another thing to consider is perspective. For those members here that serve/served in the military, and perhaps more so those who served in combat, a quick "F-you" to anyone who questions them might be a proper response. Like members in my family, somewhere on a wall in the house is a picture with them in harms way. When the guy/gal who gives them s**t about their hobby can match that then maybe then they can make comments. Until then, a quick "kiss-my-a**" would again be a proper response.

· Banned
1,105 Posts
well here where i live in England i think your seen as a geek,nerd,dweeb etc... etc... There is also real joke to being a soldier in this day and age. When i wore uniform either nipping into a shop or stuff like that 9/10 you'd get local tosspots laugh at you and sing the status quo song ' your in the army now' like it was a public joke to serve the country.
I think that Idiotic attitude extends down the military collectors to either figures or clothing/guns and such.

· Speed Thrills
3,756 Posts
Nope, not a secret but people are usually floored once they realize my interest in the hobby and how deep it goes... I guess people expect us look nerdy[no offence intended] or something.. I'm Hep cat in that wears Nat Nast shirts and single pleat gab trausers [Ricky Ricardo style] and Dobb's hats. I once told one of my friends who coaches with me How much I spend on certain pieces and figures he looked at me like I had two heads or something...LOL,LOL... Naahh Its no secret but it all ways seems to surprise People....

G

·
Man my buds come over and I sell figures to them all the time..I even put together a fire fighter for my Shift Manager at My Ambulance station. My Girlfriend even buys me 1/6th stuff all the time that I'm not expecting..So my Hobby is no way a secret.

· NM156
799 Posts
naughtyboyben said:
I have another question...

How many of you make machine gun noises when you play with your toys... I mean set up your one sixth models?

:)
I do and I go the extra step and have them talking to each other. But little does my wife know I would be doing it even if I didn't have a 2 year old to play with them with.

· Rogue Trader
1,183 Posts
As 1/6th isn't my only hobby I make no bones about my interest! It makes for a laugh when you mention you're into Airsoft, 1/6th "War figures" and Warhammer 40K!...yes, I AM the WAR MONGER!!!

People are completely thrown when I say I meditate, enjoy hiking, and art! They soon get back on track when I tell them I'm into Kali Eskrima and Ba Gua! :) :)

· Registered
989 Posts
Every one who knows me knows that I have tons of toys...all kinds of toys from Hot Wheels to Wrestling figures and tons of "GI Joes". My friends, family and co-workers love it and can't get enough of my collection. I just brought in my new HT Jack Sparrow today!!!! They love it.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.