One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

· Registered
439 Posts
for me it is but its not, nearly all of my family, and close family friends no about my hobby, but friends at school, i think dont need to know, but if they ask ill tell em, funny thing though, stupid, but a little while back, i had a friend from school who is like the big athlete popular kid we all know the type, but i had him over, and i putt al my 1/6th stuff away cause i didnt want him to think i was a loser, not that i cared but i did it anyways, but i forgot to put one of them away. we walked in my room and i saw him in the corner of my eye and i got a little nervous at first, and while we just hanging out, he finally got up like he had been waiting for something, went up to the shelf where he was and said, exact words "Damn dude this is F***** awesome, you got anymore" i was shocked at first that he was intrested in it, but not as shocked as i was 2 hours later when we put together about 8 fully loaded figures. my best friends know i do the hobby, and they dont really say anything about it, and sometimes they even help me put some together when were bored. so id have to say like others, i dont tell anyone, unless they ask.

· wave man TDY staff
41,730 Posts
If any non-onesixers stumble onto OSW when we de-cloak, our security systems detect them, and transport them to the Caves of Forgetfulness on Nebulon12.

· I've been Minimoyzed
14,304 Posts
I was in the closet about it in the beginning.....but I am the Rhino. No wussies here. I tell people what I do in my spare time. I almost had a convert this past summer until he heard about the costs....and he ran screaming.....right to the nearest hobby shop and picked up some SSC Bond figs and quit right after that.

My Brother gives me the hardest time about it, even if he loves those Jackie Chan figs.

· Guns, guns and more guns
1,159 Posts
Sorta for me...a few people know about it, but have never seen it. I never talk about it to anyone, and the very rare chance I have someone over they only see a portion of it since I like to only display a handful of stuff.

· In case of emergency....
1,998 Posts
Hmmm... I don't think I am. My friends back in my former home town knew I was an action figure collector but that place was Freak Central anyway so my hobby was pretty low on the weirdness scale.

I don't make an issue out of it but I don't purposely conceal it either. I keep a small, changing display of my figures on the bookshelf in the dining room so, if you visit my house, you'll see them.

· Miscreant & Ne'er-do-well
1,373 Posts
Nope. Mine are out in the open and visitors to my home comment on all the "dolls" I collect. Then, after I am finished slapping them until they start referring to them as ACTION FIGURES, they begin to appreciate the subtle majesty of the hobby.

· Perplexing!
94 Posts
I don't advertise, but I don't deny it either. I did bring one in to school as part of a project once, but since it far outclassed any other student's work, I recieved a minimal of ribbings and jokes.

I'm pretty much universally known in my classes as the crazy, scary guy; so on the extremely rare occasion I have people over, it only adds to the legend.

My close friends are all into the military stuff too, so it's all pretty cool to them. They freak out when I show them some of the pictures you guys have done and they realize that they're NOT real people.

· Registered
65 Posts
Yes.

Unfortunately. I sell a lot of stuff in EBAY, so when people ask, (friends and familes) I just say its either A. Consigment or B. Bought it off another site/store thats liquidating, good deal so didnt pass it up in order to make little bucks in EBay.

My cousins and brother are all into the "cool" stuff. They hang out with people who spend thousands of dollars to modify their cars and have hot girls riding with them every night. So telling them about my closet hobby is probably not going to mix very well.

Im not the epitome of the 40 yr old virgin though. Im not 40, actually younger and Im definitely not a virgin :D

I like to collect stuff, but im not a loser, actually i have a very active nightlife, Im pretty big on nightclubs and hooking up with chicks.

Weird really. I think if they find out im actually into stuff like this, they'll burst out laughing and ill be left with a case of blue balls.

· Registered
82 Posts
Well I have been a model builder for years so most of my friends from that hobby can appreciate it as another form of replica making , my other buddies in my guard unit really like the detail and effort put into representing soldiers like ourselves my girlfriend supports me in it she prefers I stay at home and play with mandollies than hitting up the local strip club on the weekend.

· The Blood Sword
161 Posts
I used to keep it a secret in high school and college but now I have my figures on display all over my apartment.
My friends come over and put the figures in dioramas, for example I collect Marvel Legends figures and my one friend grabbed all of my X-Men and put them in a huge battle, X-Men vs. The Brotherhood plus Cable and Bishop vs Apocalypse, giant sized.
My other friend took all the Fantastic Four figures I have and put together a diorama of the FF fighting Doom Bots with the real Dr. Doom sitting on a throne from Marvel Select.
I find that if you show respect for your hobby, others will. I live in an apartment complex near a college so there are many college females in the area. My neighbors were 4 girls aged 18 to 20 and whenever they came over they wanted to touch my figures, especially Nightcrawler.
You should where your hobby as a badge when appropriate, be proud. There are more of us out there than you know.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Man, this things are just too big to keep secret; specially if you have quite a number, with vehicles and all the accessories for bashing and dio making. I'm no american and am not in America, but I just couldn't help replying. I'm a professional, in my 40's and have a family. I love toys and have always collected all kinds since I was a kid, so I guess the people who know me know that fact. For those I meet, I think they're fascinated by the collection I have, the desktop dios and the pics I come up with. Some question why I have this hobby, but I never really had been laughed at- at least not in my face or within hearing distance from where I'm at. It's a hobby, it relaxes me and makes me happy- Peter Pan syndrome. To each his own if they don't get it.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Why would I put so much effort and care into something I'd be ashamed to share with others?

I'm not about to jump through any hoops in order to fit in with a crowd. It's the crowd that has to prove worthy of my time.

If you have to keep something as therapeutic or enjoyable (and harmless, I might add) as a hobby a secret, then it's neither therapeutic, enjoyable or harmless.

Nobody makes fun of me or my hobbies. Not to my face, at least.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.