One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pose this question to fellow OSW members.

I always hear people say how expensive this hobby is. But is it really?

Let's take for instance stamp collecting. A boy can go into his local stamp store and buy several hundred stamps for $2~3. On the other hand, a man can go to the same store and buy one stamp worth several hundred dollars.
My point is this, it's the level of sophistication. Do you want "molded pouches" (worth 10 cents) or "life like pouches" that open (worth several dollars)?

I think most here want the "life like pouches" and "real lace up shoes" just because they are "LIFE LIKE" and are willing to pay the extra dollars for this. Do you want Action Man, or figures like it, for $5? Or do you want Hot Toys GIGN Leader which went for $100 when they first came out? It's all indicative to the level of sophistication.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Its expensive, Period!

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
Every hobby is only as expensive as someone wants it to be. The thing about a hobby is that it's not mandatory, so you don't HAVE to spend anything really. If your hobby was something like paintball then you really do have to spend money to participate in the game. In 1/6 you can spend money or you can take up a craft to make your own stuff or actually fund (or at least subsidize) the hobby with another hobby.

The nice thing about 1/6 also is that when you buy a boxed figure, most times that figure doesn't have to STAY that figure. There's tremendous reuse possibilities in the hobby. Even if you DO reuse the same figure in photo stories, making new stories and taking new pictures really doesn't have any tangible costs beyond whatever you spent on the camera (and that may not necessarily be a direct 1/6 cost).

It is what you make it. It's all relative unless you have no self control or other life priorities. :-D

·
uber noob assembler
5,022 Posts
For me, yes it is. I don't know how much i've spent since coming back to the hobby in full force in 2006, i enjoy the TUS and BBi elite force days around the late 90's, but then again, quality has much improved in all aspects of the figure and its gear, that the prices would normally increase. It only took one kitbashed figure (which was comprised of cloth gear, a nice M4, and a nice HS) that a friend gave me, and my jaw dropped because it was teh first time i've seen anther figure for like 8 years, and comparing it to my old BBi Sharks, Delta, and Force Recon, i was instantly sold to go back and start collecting/bashing again. Looking back, i have no regrets about spending so much, as its something i sincerely enjoy doing. You just have to make adjustments to fulfill both 1:6 and especially 1:1 needs.:)

·
frustrated hobbiest
1,602 Posts
I pose this question to fellow OSW members.

I always hear people say how expensive this hobby is. But is it really?

Let's take for instance stamp collecting. A boy can go into his local stamp store and buy several hundred stamps for $2~3. On the other hand, a man can go to the same store and buy one stamp worth several hundred dollars.
My point is this, it's the level of sophistication. Do you want "molded pouches" (worth 10 cents) or "life like pouches" that open (worth several dollars)?

I think most here want the "life like pouches" and "real lace up shoes" just because they are "LIFE LIKE" and are willing to pay the extra dollars for this. Do you want Action Man, or figures like it, for $5? Or do you want Hot Toys GIGN Leader which went for $100 when they first came out? It's all indicative to the level of sophistication.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.
I bash within my means. Personally, I like to use SA Joe's, and loose kit. I do not generally buy boxed figures, especially not the high end stuff.

My hobby knows its place behind groceries, gas, & my kids education...but I always mange to enjoy myself

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
It depends. I bash and custom and I can buy a lot of spare parts for the price of one regular release. If you collect straight boxed figures (weres the fun in that?) youll probably spend less if you collect WWII figures (Dragon, DID) than if you collect Modern and movie figs (Hot Toys, Takara)Of course if your into vehicles, you can easilly spend over $2000.00 customizing a 1/6 WWII tank. And thats all I got to say about that.

·
How did I get into this?
296 Posts
Expensive? Let's just say I got a Hot Toys Navy Seal VBSS and a US Army 10th Mountain Division Sniper for my wife. Now, where can you find a trade like that? :lol

Seriously, any hobby that requires the services of a financial planner is expensive.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Its expensive, Period!
There are more expensive hobbies and there are cheaper ones. It always depends on the level and how deep your into it, the more "professional" a hobby gets the more expensive does it get.

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Yes, it can be expensive but I don't know of many hobbies that aren't. I was pricing 1/35 scale armor models this week and was kind of shocked at how much some of them are nowadays. Miniature wargaming armies aren't cheap to build either.

By the same token, I've seen some brilliant figures posted here that were created from some fairly humble parts. If you don't have to have the "latest and greatest", it can be relatively inexpensive. Heck, some of my most fun has come from doing "nothing over $5 bashes" where the major components (uniform, body armor, head gear, weapon) had to be $5 or less.

·
Bash in my sleep.
3,023 Posts
I bash within my means. Personally, I like to use SA Joe's, and loose kit. I do not generally buy boxed figures, especially not the high end stuff.

My hobby knows its place behind groceries, gas, & my kids education...but I always mange to enjoy myself
I agree a 100%.. I really like to use PT bodies and kit them out with losse gear from all the "major" compaines (HT,SS, and so on). I only bash on what I can afford. I do admit I would like to have some box figures but I keep it with in my means but not to say that buying loose is cheap because sometimes its really not!!

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
It's getting way too expensive. Each new figure from Sideshow and Hot Toys is more than the last, and eBay automatically doubles and triples the price if you didn't get in on the pre-orders directly. I have dropped some serious cash for this stuff, and I really feel like an idiot when I look back at all the money I might have now for the finer things in life. I am totally and my means limit and beyond for this crap, and if it gets a little more expensive, I may end up washing my hands of it all. I would be living very well, with little financial stress if not for this hobby, but i am so deeply into now, that there really is no way but forward.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts