One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discovering the existence of the TOA synthetic human bootleg figure, i got to wondering if there was much else out there?
well i have come across quite a few figma and square enix bootlegs but sometimes it can be hard to tell if its real or not? so was curious if anyone knew of any reliable blogs of people that catalogued the chinese release copy figures? i know that this may not be completely 1/6 but i know the synthetic human is, which sparked my interest.
more than anything im just curious to know how prevalent the copying is as much as anything?
any leads will be much appreciated.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
I did start a thread about Iron Man KO's and there are a couple threads about Crazy Toys figures and statues which are KO's too but an exhaustive list of KO's would be very hard to make as there are many. If you count recast heads, recast model kits and unlicensed figures then you will have months of work ahead of you

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I think this is a really good idea actually. I'd love to see a list of all modern knockoffs with comments on them. However, I can see it not going over well with manufacturers or some people finding it upsetting.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
I don't get offended by KO's, I see them as an inevitable reality and so discussing them is fine IMO, but maybe you can draw the line at promoting the purchase of them over the real deal as that would potentially hurt the sales of the IP holders.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,873 Posts
Over the years, I’ve seen much in terms of those who are against and for bootlegs/knock offs in the 1:6 hobby ranging from black and white to shades of grey and complete indifference.

With regards to HOT TOYS, it’s usually one extreme or the other in varying degrees/nuances.

The mentality/mindset I’ve witnessed though among a prolific and vocal segment with the HOT TOYS collector community is that there is noticeable trend of how third-party knock offs and even original creations are being frowned upon by HOT TOYS sycophants claiming such offerings are devaluing the collectible price of HOT TOYS offerings, but there are those who advocate and post such a stance also privately support third-party knocks off and original offerings that HOT TOYS have not produced and will not. In other words, hypocrisy at its finest.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
but there are those who advocate and post such a stance also privately support third-party knocks off and original offerings that HOT TOYS have not produced and will not. In other words, hypocrisy at its finest.
yep. I think most know they are hypocrites but ignore it in order to virtue signal in defence of their favourite brands

·
12,873 Posts
yep. I think most know they are hypocrites but ignore it in order to virtue signal in defence of their favourite brands
--

And I call out such hypocrisy in certain online 1:6 circles and they despise me for it. That's fine. I don't have a problem with that. The hilarious thing though is that I block many of them in common online 1:6 circles, but they complain how I block them and they cannot see my comments. They're even hypocritical about that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soooo as to my original question.. i am guessing no such blog exists :(
and i DEFINITELY do not have the time to maintain such a mammoth feat. i also don't have the connections to know what would be available.
as for the questions of if people are happy about the question i posed. i think the unlicensed figures such as the jackie chan who is it are more than adequately covered on here and other forums and i think if the company making them does a good job of it, more power to them for filling in a gap that exists. i do think that the chinese cheap copy of an available expensive figure [like the 12" KAWS copies] isnt that terrible if you make sure that the customer knows its a copy. if you buy a cheap figure you can play about with in a way you wouldnt if you had spent a ton of cash on it. either sticking mods on the figure or repainting [in my case both embarrassingly badly!!]
and as for hot toys, never bought a single one, probably never will? almost bought a hulk then came to my senses haha

·
12,873 Posts
soooo as to my original question.. i am guessing no such blog exists :(
and i DEFINITELY do not have the time to maintain such a mammoth feat. i also don't have the connections to know what would be available.
as for the questions of if people are happy about the question i posed. i think the unlicensed figures such as the jackie chan who is it are more than adequately covered on here and other forums and i think if the company making them does a good job of it, more power to them for filling in a gap that exists. i do think that the chinese cheap copy of an available expensive figure [like the 12" KAWS copies] isnt that terrible if you make sure that the customer knows its a copy. if you buy a cheap figure you can play about with in a way you wouldnt if you had spent a ton of cash on it. either sticking mods on the figure or repainting [in my case both embarrassingly badly!!]
and as for hot toys, never bought a single one, probably never will? almost bought a hulk then came to my senses haha
--

No.

AFAIK there is no dedicated online blog, etc. for solely bootlegs/knock offs of all 1:6 bootlegs, copies, etc.

Such information is available in various bits and pieces online, but no one single source that covers/discuss everything based on your criteria.

If you want to pursue such an endeavor on your own, then go for it. More power and respect to you. Provided you change your mind.

:)

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,390 Posts
There's just too many to keep track of and the list will never end as I think the moment you think the list is complete, up comes 2 or 3 more and so on.
Not sure anyone has the time and resources to invest in such an extensive list.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
it is possible I think, if you focus on a narrow subject such as 1:6 Iron Man ko's or 1:6 HT ko's etc, to create a comprehensive list of the ones made. Such lists can be helpful for warning people who are buying online, such as those looking to buy the HT Iron Man mk1 figure as there is a KO one that is almost identical that they could be tricked into buying by dishonest sellers, so knowing about the KO and how to identify it is useful info.

It can also make for entertaining reading when you get into the cheesy knock off's (of which I am a fan). An example would be the 13 inch electronic Iron Man figures I bought in China/HK that are basically enlarged versions of Hasbro 4 inch figures and the sound effects are so bad it is hilarious (and the line they speak is 'lets go fingers' as far as I can tell which is innuendo fuel a'plenty)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am less interested in knock-offs (since the licensed, particularly hot toy, version is probably of much higher quality) but information about unlicensed characters that are not produced by any licensees.

I am not in this for making money (heck, there are much better ways) but for the enjoyment ... and what i wish is highly quality one-sixth figures of ALL possible sci-fi and movie characters for me to choose from. A big and selfish dream .. no doubt .. but more information about what is out there .. is a step in that direction.

·
in-the-closet lesbian
4,334 Posts
I am less interested in knock-offs (since the licensed, particularly hot toy, version is probably of much higher quality) but information about unlicensed characters that are not produced by any licensees.

I am not in this for making money (heck, there are much better ways) but for the enjoyment ... and what i wish is highly quality one-sixth figures of ALL possible sci-fi and movie characters for me to choose from. A big and selfish dream .. no doubt .. but more information about what is out there .. is a step in that direction.
in that case onesixthkit page on FB has a lot of those sorts of figures

1 - 14 of 14 Posts