Votes: 8 40.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 4 20.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is TBLeague equal to Hot Toys, or better, or worse? i feel like i asked this before...but still, what do you think.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
No....but they Have Hot Toys and every other companies beat as far as 1/6th bodies goes....anything else they have yet to prove they are even equal to HT let alone bettet.....

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I don't think the poll provided enough options. It is comparing apples and oranges. As they said in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, they are both fruit, yet that does not mean they are entirely comparable. So there should have been a Non Applicable (or similar) category (in lieu of which I answered I don't know). And several of the answers above already indicate this. Hard as it might be for some to believe, TBLeague bodies are indeed better in almost every way (and certainly in every way that makes a difference to me). On the other hand, Hot Toys head sculpts are still clearly the best in the industry. Hot Toys makes numerous licensed characters from major brands and franchises, while TBLeague is, all puns intended, in a different league. The technical execution is probably more comparable, but again may be subject to different priorities -- more of Hot Toys' work needs to match a well-established film-accurate look, while TBLeague may have (or take) much more leeway with fantasy or comic characters (like their so-called Athena and Crusader). Both companies have their strengths, and one of the ironies is that probably (given current practice) "never the two shall meet" in a single product.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Phicen/TBLeague full figure sets, like with outfits, a head, and maybe a base stand, are not nearly as good as Hot Toys figures. In fact, they are cheap crap by comparison in most cases. There are some excellent Phicen/TBL figures but compared to the best HT has come out with, even TBL's best isn't all that great. Hot Toys brings great likeness of actors and characters and overall great quality. In fact, Phicen/TBL uses copies of some Hot Toys parts such as head sculpts for their figures.
That said, what Phicen/TBL is really about is seamless bodies, and they make the best of those you can get for the price, with lots of selections as far as skin tones and body types.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They're totally different animals, aimed at different markets, with the quality varying form product to product.

For example, I really love the Phicen red Sonja/Arhian and Vampirella figures among others, but some others leave me cold.

IN the same way, I LOVE Hot toys headsculpts and accesories, but the bodies on some (the wonder woman for example) were to me a let down.

Perhaps the phicen figures are sturdier. Ive less worry about something breaking from them that I would have a Hot Toys.

In the end, does it matter? The two aren't in competition with each other. Both companies enjoy dominance in their chosen fields.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I always find this emphasis on competitive brand loyalty in the hobby to be odd because I pluck from what I like with any brand.

Both these companies are 1/6, but like andrew and gubernator said very well, they are different players. HT is the market leader and is set up to a completely different marketing paradigm that P/TBL which is more niche. For instance, HT is doing Disney licensing whereas P/TBL is picking up more dated and obscure material. I don’t ever see them officially mixing as HT has gone big time and really doesn’t need P/TBL. Besides, once you’re working with the likes of Disney, you’re not going to (can’t) market alongside a company that’s put their name on adult film industry figures. Don’t get me wrong, I love the AF figures, but P/TBL chose a pernmanent fork in the road on those decisions.

I have many of both, and there are aspects of each that are superior imo. Typically, I’m more inclined to want a P/TBL body with HT parts (especially male HSs). But, it varies depending on intent, male versus female, etc. If I need to kit out a fully clothed figure, I’d rather have a TTM-type body because it’s easier. P/TBL also have a degradation issue based on their silicone construction. They are almost ephemeral in my mind. Based on the current rates of tearing, peeling, joint problems, etc., I don’t foresee any of my current P/TBL figures to be in good condition 10 years from now unless they remain unused. HT will have a better lifespan based on material stability alone.

It’s good to have options.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I agree with the comments above, having myself posted something similar recently (as below); I agree with "Apples to Oranges"; and I agree the survey options don't leave enough room for nuances that recognize HT and TBL parallel in some ways but diverge in others. But I think CobraTrooper11 is genuinely onto something with the spirit of the question, in that TBL have "come from behind" to arguably surpass HT in the one specific respect of female seamless bodies. Hot Toys Wonder Woman is a figure that falls squarely in the "area of overlap" between HT and TBL and arguably it's a compliment to TBL that industry leader HT outright screwed up the body on HT WW just to make sure they differentiated it (unnecessarily) from a TBL body.

Well, arguably P/TBL has certainly surpassed HT on seamless bodies; and arguably the P/TBL female body is just a better body than HT's (seamless or not). Lots of differences go far in HT's favor though. HT has far better and more sophisticated gear. The P/TBL sculpts have improved astronomically but they're still nowhere near HT's general level of quality, plus P/TBL hasn't really even tried to make one that actually resembles the real person. Also TBL only actually overlap/compete with a very small fraction of HT's output -- not only are they not going to give us a Robert Downey or a Gal Gadot head but they wouldn't even think of engineering an Iron Man armor, diecast or otherwise, a DeLorean, a Hulkbuster etc etc etc So I agree P/TBL deserves praise, but respectfully CobraTrooper11 I think that statement is overreaching way too far.

·
Registered
565 Posts
two very different companies, producing very different products...

On what can be compared TBL/phicen wins on the seamless body, which sounds logical since it's their market from day one. Even HT cannot compete with a company 100% dedicated to seamless body design and development.
That being said they are still very cheap on all the rest, the headsculpts are far from competing with hot toys or some other brands, same goes for the clothing, the molded plastic bits like weapons or accesorizes... When I see some brands rise the bar like damtoys did, TBLeague still has a very long way to go before reaching hot toys level (and putting a 2kg diorama piece or stand inside the box won't change anything to that lol)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts