One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a lot of new 1:12 models such as seen in the 1999.co.jp (I keep getting their emails) website and phicen who has 2 (pale/tan) models. Is that the future on the same lines of when GI Joes were sold in the 3.5 inch version? I can see the reasoning -- take less space, cheaper, better technology, etc -- but I am wondering if it is just me.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There does seem to be a lot of it lately. The sad thing is the quality isn’t all that great, and the asking prices are what we used to pay for 1/6 just a few years ago (not counting HT or Sideshow). I imagine it’s infinitely cheaper to produce, and there’s a lot more stuff for dioramas (not to mention room) made in 1/12 than even 1/6. 1/6 itself is pricing itself out of more and more collectors’ hands, but it won’t be long and 1/12 will do the same. The recent Terminator figure (which I’ve seen in-hand pics of) goes for almost $130, and it honestly looks bad. There’s no way in hell I’ll be going all in on 1/12 when the quality is marginal to mediocre at best, and the prices aren’t much lower than the average 1/6 - - which looks ten times better. If this is the future of 1/6 — I’ll gladly call it a day and leave the hobby.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,873 Posts
Let's see.

1. 1:12 is not the same scale as the 3.75" GI JOE figures. The 3.75" GI JOE figures are approximately 1:18 scale.

2. 1:12 scale IMHO is still an emerging and growing scale that is very popular with collectors. MEZCO IMHO is pretty much at the top in terms of design and quality. PHICEN/TBLEAGUE got into the act with a few 1:12 offerings and building a niche for themselves as they did with their seamless 1:6 female and male offerings. Super Duck is complementing PHICEN/TBLEAGUE with a couple of 1:12 female sets.

3. 1:12 is just another scale like 1:6, 1:4, and 1:18.

Personally speaking, I have not jumped on the 1:12 bandwagon . . . yet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
For me I collect 1:6 weapons only because the great detail is there. I also have a collection of 1/12 figures because they take up less space but accept they won't pose as well and be less detailed. I think both will coexist. 1/12 may be a stepping stone to 1/6 since it's cheaper to get in.

·
Modern Junkie
195 Posts
imo, until the posability and selection can compete with 1/6...1/12 won't be the new 1/6. More like the new 1/18.(even 1/18 is going thru a renaissance right now with Marauder, Joy Toy, Boss Fight, and Greenvalley) However, its kinda new and still emerging...so we may yet be surprised. I was eyeing a 1/12 mogadishu Army Ranger, and an SAS, and they're not too shabby...just a bit pricey(1/6 pricey! maybe a tad higher). Real cloth bdu's; scale-wise the visible stitches appear large. (even tho star wars black series is 1/12 and is some years old now, I'm refering to real cloth 1/12 military). I am seeing more pickins for 1/12 weapons coming out; just very few affordable figures to wield the weapons. I'm actually getting back into 1/18, especially since I hit the ceiling with 1/6(and downsizing too), plus I can do vehicles with room to spare(shelf-wise). On the flip side, I do admit to picking up a few Mythic Legions knights; but if they did those same figures in 1/6...I would not get them, I'm done with losing so much shelf space.

Wow, its been awhile since visiting this forum, but this subject hit a cord with me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The two 1:12 figures from Phicen look good in the promo photos but who knows if the actual figures will look that good.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I'm surprised that this doesn't really seem to get much attention, but the big problem with so-called "1/12" currently having a boom is that there are really two different and incompatible scales. Roughly speaking they break down between Asian 1/12 and North American 1/12. The figures that Asian manufactures call 1/12 such as 1000 Toys Synthetic Human, and now the Phicen/TBL figures, are roughly 10-15% smaller than what North America calls 1/12, such as Mezco One:12 or Marvel Legends. I haven't done the math but I suspect that strictly by the measuring tape, it is the Asian 1/12s that are "correct."

Very frustrating. Totally disappointed that I couldn't possibly use my new TBL 1/12 ladies with my Mezco One:12s. Absent some special problem cases (like "How tall is Darth Vader actually supposed to be?") I can't remember the last time two figures labeled as 1/6 differed so much as to be incompatible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Going by their descriptions on Cotswold Collectables the 1:12 figures are apparently less detailed in...certain regards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1/4-->Very few instances of action figures at this scale. From 1/4 upwards it is all statues, which are a completely different beast. Great looks, no articulation, like a piece of furniture. No dioramas at all.

1/6-->Highest quality action figures as of these days. You can't do dioramas with lots of people and vehicles without having to live in the garage (if you own one). You can do small dioramas with a bunch of people, with 1 vehicle at most......

1/12-->Less quality figures, everything smaller, more complex dioramas w/ more vehicles become possible.

1/18-->Lowest quality, even more complex dioramas, even more vehicles but less good looking.

Gents, choose your playground.

For me it is 1/6 for simple ultrarrealistic dioramas and 1/18 for complex dioramas with a nice bunch of vehicles, accessories around these, and lots of people populating those. At 1/12 vehicles look nicer, but at 1/18, after all these years of development, they look nice enough to me. Because of some restraints, though (I have a MR Snowspeeder, which is more or less 1/12), I have a bunch of 1/12 stuff, but not a lot.

You can even consider mixing scales: for a Hoth diorama I have envisioned, I have that MR Snowspeeder, plus a beautiful VC 1/18 Snowspeeder. If I have my way, I will be able to compose with them a forced perspective of a line of defense in front of Echo Base's main door. I have 1/18 and 1/12 tauntaun, and 1/18 cannons to put in the background as the überflashy MR Snowie takes the foreground. I am eyeing ways to combine 1/18 and 1/12 with 1/6 too. I am still in the scheming/sourcing phase of this, though. It will take me some time yet to have something tangible, but this idea gives you a nice and creative pattern for putting all current scales to good use, in harmony with each other and taking the best of all worlds, maybe even producing synergies.

RfC
m.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the Great Twins Arnie is one of my favorite figures of the year so far. I bought him loose from Monkey Depot for around $80 and kind of regret not splurging on the complete box. My only real gripe are the pants which sit very high on the waist. The leather jacket is outstanding. The magnetic head to neck connection works way better than I thought. Overall, he's probably better than any of the Mezco figures I own (I'm closing in on thirty).

I'm surprised that this doesn't really seem to get much attention, but the big problem with so-called "1/12" currently having a boom is that there are really two different and incompatible scales. Roughly speaking they break down between Asian 1/12 and North American 1/12. The figures that Asian manufactures call 1/12 such as 1000 Toys Synthetic Human, and now the Phicen/TBL figures, are roughly 10-15% smaller than what North America calls 1/12, such as Mezco One:12 or Marvel Legends. I haven't done the math but I suspect that strictly by the measuring tape, it is the Asian 1/12s that are "correct."

Very frustrating. Totally disappointed that I couldn't possibly use my new TBL 1/12 ladies with my Mezco One:12s. Absent some special problem cases (like "How tall is Darth Vader actually supposed to be?") I can't remember the last time two figures labeled as 1/6 differed so much as to be incompatible.
This isn't my photo, but I was surprised by the size difference between two DamToys figures.

9d06f621947be3ad7d14ca740dcc8034.jpg

·
12,873 Posts
Collectors like us whether we admit it or not will buy whatever we deem the next greatest must have/own thing since sliced bread.

This is the blunt ****ing fact and truth that has not changed at all. The only thing that changed is there is always new $%^& to buy/collect that we willingly convince ourselves to buy, our bank account gets less, our credit card limit gets used up, and we run out of space to display and store all that $%*& regardless of scale along with many of us being none the wiser, older, and still buying/collecting all this $%&*.

·
12,873 Posts
Some of you believe 1:6 and 1:12 is bad?

There are niche . . . fetish is more like it . . . collectors who collect 1:1 female seamless dolls.

Yes.

No joke.

Yep. All for the obvious reasons and surprisingly there are those who just collect and display them. I kid you not.

How the **** I know? There are online discussion groups like ours for that stuff.

No. I'm not a member because I haven't gone off the ****ing deep end yet.

·
The Don
271 Posts
1/12 are made for hobbyists who don't have enough room for the hobby. Comparing to 1/6, details on 1/12 are miserable and harder to DIY. My opion is that, In time ,1/12 and 1/6 will co-exist and not replaced one another.

·
...down the rabbit hole
59 Posts
I love the 1:12 scale, but I wouldn't want to work with it. Putting on tights on a 1:6 is tedious enough.
Also, the seams are sometimes abnormally big on 1:6. That'll be worse for 1:12, and I'm not a fan of sculpted clothes.

If they were to release a box set like Painkiller Jane as 1:12 I'd be on that, just because: price and space.
I do love the Phicen 1:12, which feel and pose exactly like their 1:6 counterparts, except I didn't like the head sculpt of the base figure much. Super Duck's head sculpt doesn't look much better to me. Too doll-like. Wonder whether Arkhalla's head sculpt will look better...
Already pre-ordered both Phicen 1:12 male bodies and I really like the look of the OSK 1:12 head sculpts. Might have to buy that Punisher...

So I'd say they'll exist side by side. They certainly will on my shelves.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
1:12 is a very common scale in the dollhouse world, with a huge choice of scale furniture and accessories.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a few 1/12 scale figures, I am interested to see where the price point for these settle at.

Already see future releases reaching the 99.99 and up range..

At these prices probably stick with Mezco, ThreeA etc. Noticed the new German releases coming out?

Regards.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I grew up playing with Gi Joes in the '90s and early '00s. Nothing compares to the enjoyment I got out of those figures. 1/6 till the day I die.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Late to this thread, but it's an interesting topic. As a die-hard pre-Disney era Star Wars fan, I will always prefer either 3.75" or 1/6 scale. To be honest, I rather resent the addition of the 1/12 scale, for a lot of reasons. Despite it's currently huge popularity, it does absolutely nothing for me. The Figuarts stuff is hit and miss when it comes to likenesses, and while the overall quality tends to be fairly good, the figures themselves are kind of under-sized. The Black Series is frustrating. While strides have been made to improve certain aspects, such as the digital printing on the faces, much of the quality on the mass-produced Hasbro figures is still only so-so. They still have that shiny plastic playline quality to the finish, which makes them tough to photograph. If I want a figure with a shiny, all-plastic body with visible joints, I'd rather have the traditional little 3.75" figures which I love so much. Additionally, since I am a fan of a certain time period in the SW 'verse that doesn't get a ton of attention compared to the more recent material [which I loathe], very few of the Black Series figures appeal to me in the first place.

When it comes to non-SW figures in 1/12 scale, I much prefer the types of figures that have a bit more realism and 'real' clothing. But, as Stryker noted, I find most of them really overpriced for what they actually are. Not to mention the clothing often looks wonky at that scale...too bulky. It's hard enough to get fabric to look right at 1/6 scale, ffs. Customizing them in any way is a huge pain in the arse and not worth the time. I tried to customize some figures in that scale over the summer and just gave up after a while as the actual results were simply not worth the time and effort for me personally -- especially not compared to the results I could have gotten from putting the same effort into my 1/6 scale WIPs. So ....ehhh. Since customizing is my biggest focus these days, I'm not super enthused to dive into smaller scales.

If there are any 1/12 figures that I do have a soft spot for atm, it's the recent tbleague ones. But sadly I cannot use them as bases for custom figures to be displayed alongside any of the existing SW figures, as they are wayyyy too tall compared to the Black Series/Figuarts stuff. So that puts a damper on my enthusiasm about purchasing all that many of those, even if I do think they are super cute.

I will also agree that dioramas are immensely easier to do in 1/12 scale, since there is already so much dollhouse stuff around. But the frustrating thing about 1/12.... is that not all figures are consistently scaled! As noted above, there are certain lines that are much smaller and/or larger than others, so it limits inter-brand compatibility. While 1/6 scale is not perfect in that regard either, I find the variation is much less noticeable, unless you're talking about super old, oversized Sideshow stuff, but then those were never really truly 1:6, but were rather '12" figures'.

To sum up, I have given 1/12 a go and found it lacking for my purposes. Others may have different mileage, and it's great if that scale works for some people. But for now I'm happy to continue enjoying my old 3.75" figs, and to focus my customizing energy on 1/6 scale. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts