One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
All Decade's Fault
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I should ask this:

How often does inter-service transfer of personnel occur between units? I was just wondering that, given certain circumstances, if Marines get assigned to Army/Air Force units or likewise? That, and other than the obvious (need for a particular specialty or skill), what other reasons are there for these 'lendings' of personnel?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
We always have a Marine pilot assigned to us. It is an exchange program set up. They spend two years with us and learn our mission.

·
Gunslinger, chef, guitars
2,132 Posts
In Marcinko's book "Rogue Warrior", he talks about a Marine or two that came over to the Navy to become SEALs. I would imagine that isn't that hard given that the Marines is under the Dept of the Navy. But, how easy is it if you were in say the Army and wanted to permanently transfer to another branch?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
To go to the Army and become a Warrant Officer Helo pilot is not to hard. It is just some paperwork and then passing the test. I applied but my eyesight wasn't good enough. We have a lot of ex-Army pilots flying Paves now and they transferred as well but when the Army saw how many were going they kinda stopped that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm a former Marine and I was temporarily assigned to an Army unit for three months in Hawaii back in 1985. It happens quite a bit. The Dept. of Defense also trains as many personel together as possible to save money. For exemple parachute training. The Army trains everyone's jumpers. The Army and Marine Corps also have the same artillery doctrine(which is good) and are all trained by the Army at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. I think all of the Armed Force's medics are trained together as well but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

·
All Decade's Fault
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys (especially you, Pave). But all of this is by service or officers ruling, right? No cases of personal requested assignments (i.e. a Marine volunteering or requesting to be assigned to a particular Army or Air Force operation outside his jurisdiction--as mentioned the Marines operate under the Navy ruling), right?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Australian Transfers

MY mate joined the Royal Australian Navy, expressly to fly helicopters, after 2.5 years he had still not gone through training. Worked at Defence Department in Canberra (similar to pentagon in US, just way way way smaller ;) ) for a while and spoke to an army officer.

He requested a transfer, it was granted, and he is now done his flying, flew front seat in a Marine AH-1 at exercise Croc '03 and is waiting for a slot to open in france to train to fly the Australian Army's new Armed Recon Helicopter, the Eurocopter Tiger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts