One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of 1:6 outfit sets . . . the term 1:6 "cosplay" is being used . . .

Over the past year, I'm noticing a trend where in the past various 1:6 brands have advertised/announced 1:6 outfit sets as basically outfit sets and such, but now I'm noticing a brand or more are using the term "cosplay" for 1:6 outfits and head sculpt w/ outfit combo sets.

When I hear of or think of cosplay, I think of the many different costume players seen at various anime/comic/pop culture conventions and don't necessarily associate it with the 1:6 hobby, but that line is possibly starting to perhaps . . . blend?

Not that is makes a difference, but it is interesting/noticeable one or more 1:6 brand/manufacturer/studio are using the term "cosplay" for 1:6 outfit sets, etc. lately.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Re: Instead of 1:6 outfit sets . . . the term 1:6 "cosplay" is being used . . .

I'm not sure that's true. I think we're seeing it a lot just very specifically because every time PopToys shows another in its "cosplay" series, it gets its own new thread. I'm not taking issue with that but it gives them way disproportionate attention here. The items in that PopToys series really are "cosplay" of a kind, in that they don't represent the actual thing itself (like say a "Policewoman" or "Soldier") but clearly someone wearing a exaggerated costume, stripper, or Halloween Party version of the thing -- like "Sexy Policewoman." Hence the "cosplay" aspect. They're not a 1/6 woman being the thing represented, but rather a 1/6 woman who is playing at dressing up as that role. Other than that, I haven't actually ever seen the term "cosplay" used instead of generic "outfit" or "accessory," have you?

Now in my mind "cosplay" should be reserved for someone dressing as a specific costumed character, like say "Harley Quinn Cosplay" rather than these costumes like Sexy Policewoman, Soldier, Lion, Sexy Panda, etc. but PopToys is probably finding it a useful if inaccurate broad marketing term.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

Not that is makes a difference, but it is interesting/noticeable one or more 1:6 brand/manufacturer/studio are using the term "cosplay" for 1:6 outfit sets, etc. lately.
My thought would be they are trying to narrow further in on a specific niche to target. I can see this creating a headache for retailers who already have to deal with consumers who can't tell a toy from a tank.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Better than the label Miniaturism imo... Which makes me feel like one of those taxidermy nerds... ;) Jk! No offense, but seriously.

Straight from the most credible source ever, Wikipedia:

"Playscale miniaturism (with emphasis on articulated figures) emerged as a hobby in 1964 when the toy company Hasbro introduced the first fully articulated action figure: G.I. Joe."

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
694 Posts

It is just a way of maximising search engine hits. Cosplay is trendy at the moment. Anything that uses this word is going to attract more hits/interest.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Its also another way to make 1/6 scale figure collecting stand out and appear distinguished. "Cosplay" rather than "outfit/clothing set" pulls one's mind away from action figures and dolls. It's manipulating.

·
Registered
604 Posts

It makes me think of the BJD hobby because many who collect those have their dolls cosplay different characters and they do refer to it as cosplay.

·
blistering barnacles
600 Posts

I think they're doing it for legal reasons. "Oh, I wasn't ripping off your licensed character, I was doing a figure of someone cosplaying as your character..."

Which sounds like it would get shot down in court in a flat second but the reluctance of IP holders to go after people who cosplay as their characters might create a bit of wiggle room. Since you have to actively protect trademarks(which is why Disney does things like sending cease & desist orders to schools making murals with their characters) if you don't regularly go after a big group of potential offenders(in that some cosplayers are pros who make money without usually getting any sort of license from the IP holder) that creates the potential for a legal argument that might help out down the line if you are actively infringing on the same IP. It's not a far leap to say "well you didn't go after this girl who made money dressing as Chun Li so why are you going after me for making a figure of a girl dressed like Chun Li."

But then again I'm not a lawyer so I'm probably wrong.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts

Here's your answer:

It is just a way of maximising search engine hits. Cosplay is trendy at the moment. Anything that uses this word is going to attract more hits/interest.
Just another popular buzzword because folks are lazy and can't be bothered to enunciate (or can't spell well enough to write) "impersonate," or "masquerade."

...plus it generates search engine hits.

·
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I think they're doing it for legal reasons. "Oh, I wasn't ripping off your licensed character, I was doing a figure of someone cosplaying as your character..."

Which sounds like it would get shot down in court in a flat second but the reluctance of IP holders to go after people who cosplay as their characters might create a bit of wiggle room. Since you have to actively protect trademarks(which is why Disney does things like sending cease & desist orders to schools making murals with their characters) if you don't regularly go after a big group of potential offenders(in that some cosplayers are pros who make money without usually getting any sort of license from the IP holder) that creates the potential for a legal argument that might help out down the line if you are actively infringing on the same IP. It's not a far leap to say "well you didn't go after this girl who made money dressing as Chun Li so why are you going after me for making a figure of a girl dressed like Chun Li."

But then again I'm not a lawyer so I'm probably wrong.
--

From a business/legal perspective, I find it plausible.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

Technically, even cosplayers are libel for copyright infringement, but it sort of falls into the fan-art/fan-fiction realm, and most IP holders don't really want to go after their fans (many see it as harmless, not canon, and free advertising) -- unless your talking about Disney. Cosplayers are a whole legal nightmare that most lawyers cringe over having to deal with, since most of them do it for fun and not profit (although I'm curious how the site Leiasmetalbikini stays in operation since they make 1:1 replicas of her slave outfit).

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
694 Posts

(although I'm curious how the site Leiasmetalbikini stays in operation since they make 1:1 replicas of her slave outfit).
Disney likely doesn't know about it. Send them an email drawing it to their attention and see how long it stays up.

·
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Disney likely doesn't know about it. Send them an email drawing it to their attention and see how long it stays up.
--

I'm sure some upright/uptight @$$hole will do precisely that.

"OH! OH! OH! HOT TOYS? Such and such is copying your head sculpt! I don't want to see my HT item devalued by bootlegs and I love/support you guys so much!"

"OH! OH! OH! Disney? Such and such is copying your IP!"

·
Registered
565 Posts

Not sure the term would protect a manufacturer in case of copyright infringement... there is a great difference between a cosplayer that built a unique "fanmade" outfit and a brand making commercial profit with a "mass prod" manufactured item.
For now I find the term quite legitimate as most of these sets depict generic unlicensed fantasies, themes from angels n demons to animals... I can only think about the recent harley quinn set that was crossing the line and trying to hide behind the "cosplay" thing, there are surely others, but not a great majority yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts