One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
it's a fairly neat figure to say the least, great resemblence.
but i still find something sad about saying goodbye to my lovingly made custom Indy with the DML Kurz head and relic hunter gear, and all the loads of others that other collectors have made, in favour of a mass market product:D
There was so much passion etc put into all the customs of indy produced that there's something almost defeatist about buying the sideshow one.
But on the more positive note, fair play to sideshow for finally taking the plunge and doing a great job!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Don't go chucking out your custom Indys yet! SS prototypes always look good, it's their way of sucking in pre-orders. I'd hold off, wait till Wookster or Michael Crawford has one, then, if they like it, get one on eBay. You really should wait till you truly see what you're getting before going overboard. I still think that the SS one will only be an alternative starting point for a custom, just as the Relic Hunter was.

CHEERS!

·
Plastic Alchemist
1,111 Posts
Got mine, too! Picked up the exclusive, even though it wasn't what I was expecting....
As for the custom Indy's, I hear what you're saying; yeah, it may lessen the fever that drove many a hunt to search for parts to make an Indy at all, but I think it may open the door for using the Sideshow Indy as the base for making the "ultimate" Indy custom. I love the custom Indy I have now, have plans (and parts) for another, and am going to try and make that "ultimate" custom Indy once I have Sideshow's figure. Probably add some new boots, either weather or replace the jacket, more than likely do a face repaint (although that may take a bit, I wanna be able to play with the figure before I turn it into a showpiece... ;) ), and dirty him up in general to get the right look. Bottom line: I can't wait for this guy to arrive!!!

·
S o u l
150 Posts
I will definitely customize my Sideshow Indy, or at the very least use it for parts to complete my other Indy customs.

There is NO comparison from a mass produced figure to a custom figure.The love, detail & care put into each custom makes each one a work of art.

Anyone agree???

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
absolutely!
It was different before though, this is the first [excluding toys mccoy which is an elite] mass produced official Indiana Jones figure.
The relic hunter was great for the jacket and the parts. a crap Ford headsculpt, but an excellent Dennis Quaid one:p the hat was dire, and the body was crap so that required the need for further customizing!
i think people were mainly making customs 'cos an official one didn't exist so now that it does a whole lot of people will be buying the sideshow one and leaving it at that.
It's almost like the end of a creative stem of very original Indy customs. Or else the beginning of another one

I have really overanalysed this situation:p

·
The Man of Steel
130 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...just ordered the Exclusive Indy. I guess were going to be seeing a hell of alot more Indy Customs going on sale on eBay in the next cuple of days...I for one will be holding on to mine till I get the sideshow one and compare.

·
S o u l
150 Posts
I guess were going to be seeing a hell of alot more Indy Customs going on sale on eBay in the next cuple of days...I for one will be holding on to mine till I get the sideshow one and compare.
I'm holding on to my custom Indys......Unless Sideshow comes up with one that can walk, talk and do general housecleaning chores.

·
Registered
220 Posts
my wife convinced me to order it, despite it being $90 (!!!) Exclusive or not... Torch and Dart are pretty cool but not worth the price increase.

I'll probably be buying a bunch of the cheaper Indy customs out there. Already i'm seeing i'll need a new jacket and new boots, as well as Gas Mask Bag (the strap looks very flimsy, i'm sure it'll break)- nice to see the "hi-powered revolver" was included, a minor detail that many people overlook in RAIDERS.

Did anyone see GENTLE GIANT'S "desktop diorama" for Indy? it looks like it may be resin, 1/6... looks like it comes with tons of great little props from the other films.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good news...I noticed it comes with four sets of hands, two gloved and two bare.

Bad news...two separate heads. One Head with hat permanently attached and one separate loose head and hat. I was kind of hoping the hat could be removed. By the sounds of it maybe the loose hat is just for looks and doesn't go on and off the extra head. This might be their solution for the big hair. Anyone know for sure if the loose hat is able to go on and off the extra head?

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Bad news...two separate heads. One Head with hat permanently attached and one separate loose head and hat. I was kind of hoping the hat could be removed. By the sounds of it maybe the loose hat is just for looks and doesn't go on and off the extra head. This might be their solution for the big hair. Anyone know for sure if the loose hat is able to go on and off the extra head?
I doubt the extra hat fits or they wouldn't have made the extra head with hat on, but I've seen plenty of customs with amazing handmade hats that can be removed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is this a first?! I've never heard of a wife convincing anyone to order something, usually the other way around! Good score on the Indy and the wife!
ha! thanks man. she is the best. she likes the Indy movies, she likes RAIDERS the best, and we saw the picture the other day here on OSW and thought it was great except the jacket. Plus despite thousands of robots, monsters, and other crazy things i collect, i have nothing from Indiana Jones. I had the Kenner figures as a kid, but nothing as an adult. I've been hoping for a Toys McCoy or a really nice bash one day. SS Indy seems like an excellent starting point.

I am glad they did a removable head. This way both sculpts are excellent.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts