One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Private Investigator
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so now both Medicom and Sideshow are coming out with an Indiana Jones figure, and my favourite shop has them on pre-order. now i'm wondering which one to get. and i'm quite sure i'm not alone... :blank

now i'm wondering about one thing: Sideshow and Medicom have worked together before, haven't they? are they now really coming out with separate Indy figures, or is it one and the same figure, distributed by SS in the US, by Medicom in Asia?

if they are entirely separate projects, which one is the way to go? the Medicom one is quite a bit more expensive, but doesn't look all that much better in the preview pictures. on the other hand, Medicom is also coming out with a Jones Sr. figure, which Sideshow is not, correct?

from what i've read about previous SS releases (Star Wars, John Wayne), quality varies, especially when it comes down to the likeness of the headsculpt (or the size thereof).

i'd appreciate it a lot if somebody could clear some of those questions up for me and point me in the right direction. i've been waiting a long time for an Indy figure and i want to get one this time, and do it right.

·
Music City Bacon
1,718 Posts
They are two totally different figures... yes Medicom is more expensive.. and for the price you get a really CRAPPY fedora.. as of now there is not any word of a Henry Sr by Sideshow.. but with them openly stating that this will be a LINE of figures by Sideshow, you can bet that Henry Sr is not too far behind.. its only a matter of time before we see their version... as for which one to get.. I am going with Sideshow's... the medicom headsculpt is so-so.. the fedora is pure junk... I just hope somebody casts some of the medicom artifact accessories..

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The SS is by far the best value for money and you get more. The Medicom will have the RAH body which is notoriously short and won't look right next to anything except other Medicom.

If the SS one appears tall, the Prometheus body will at least allow you to put him in a pose where this won't be noticeable.

Get the SS, end of

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I personally like the looks of the new Promethus body better than Medicom's anywho. Combine that with a hellva a lot better outfit/hat/accessories and an arguably better (or at least better painted) headsculpt. Then when you look at the prices for me, personally, Sideshow is the clear winner. That's assuming something doesn't go horribly wrong in production (as we have only seen the prototype thus far). We all remember Aragorn.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm going Sideshow.

1- the headsculpt looks much better.

2- the headsculpt w/ hat - this to me solves the hat issue once and for all. I'd much rather have 2 heads to swap then to deal with the hat coming off. Plus, even though IJ has been bashed and customized in a high-quality way for the last 10 years, i feel Lonnie the only one who's gotten it close to right.

3- The Line: SS states it's going to be a line. Medicom usually just does one or 2 figures from a series, then moves on. Medicom is just these two. So they'll be very out of scale with the rest of your collection. Even with an ongoing line, like Star Wars, Medicom can't get scale right.

4- The Price: I just can not support a company that overcharges. $150 is just not a fair price for what you're getting with that figure. $90 feels pretty fair for what's been shown.

I find it hilarious that Sideshow charges $90 for their 1st release with a 100% new body, two heads, a number of artifacts and accessories; while Medicom charges $150 for the same old body, and much less parts.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Fred DM:

Medicom = Japanese company that makes very expensive toys

Sideshow = American company that is starting to make more & more expensive toys

Relationship of Sideshow X Medicom = Sideshow act as the official agent for Medicom toys in USA

·
Private Investigator
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fred DM:

Medicom = Japanese company that makes very expensive toys

Sideshow = American company that is starting to make more & more expensive toys

Relationship of Sideshow X Medicom = Sideshow act as the official agent for Medicom toys in USA
i'm aware of where those companies are located and what they do ;) . i just thought i'd make sure i had all the information before i committed to a purchase.

thanks for the many replies. i guess i'll go with the Sideshow figure unless it turns out to be horrible. are they available in the States, yet?

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
Any comparison between the two might need to wait until both production pieces are released.

All we can do now is guess which will be "better". My guess is that Sideshow will do something better than Medicom and vice-versa. But, it'll probably come down to the sculpt for most people's final decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Medicom all the way.Sideshow figures have awful paintjobs,fat heads and dead expressions. Medicom's Star Wars line is kicking SS's Star Wars line's ass. I have seen some of Sideshow's figures (Star Wars included) in the junk/clearance/"we can't give these away" at my local Hastings. The Medicom Indy will rule as I have already invisioned what the fat head SS Indy will look like, which is pale faced and a deer in the headlights expression.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Medicom all the way.Sideshow figures have awful paintjobs,fat heads and dead expressions. Medicom's Star Wars line is kicking SS's Star Wars line's ass. I have seen some of Sideshow's figures (Star Wars included) in the junk/clearance/"we can't give these away" at my local Hastings. The Medicom Indy will rule as I have already invisioned what the fat head SS Indy will look like, which is pale faced and a deer in the headlights expression.
What an excellent way to introduce yourself to a forum.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
WTF man! 1% of the people on this board know what a Hastings is:b And how is that any kinda point?! All the toys at Hastings go on clearance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What an excellent way to introduce yourself to a forum.
I'm not introducing myself to this forum man, I'm just stating my stinking opinion like everyone else on the internet.This isn't the freaks board so let's not get in a tizzy cause I hate on Sideshow, I mean it's like there has to be some kind of politically correctness when it comes to stating a opinion especially about SS. Trevor Grove did a excellent sculpt there is no denying that,but Sideshow makes him sculpt a specific size of head for their 1/6th line and their paintwork is no where near their proto.I have seen all of the SS offerings in hand and imho they have a "cheap" look to them except for ANH Obi Wan,which I think is their best figure to date.I have Medi Boba,Jango,and Maul and they just "pop" when you open that flap.I have not seen a SS figure yet that does that.My opinion of course.Oh yeah,definately go with the Medi Indy!!

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
I will go for the SideShow Indy ( and i have already pre-ordered the SS exclusive ver ) as in my opinion, i felt Medicom products are overpriced, while their Boba and Jango are well made, i can't say the same for their Clone Trooper and Storm Trooper ( Has anyone ever noticed some discoloration on their white armour or that the cheap plastic gives u a 'Hasbro' feel ? )..I have both the SS and Medi Darth Maul and i must say i like the SS Darth Maul better..

I would get the Henry Jones from Medicom if SS is not coming out but i do worry about the height differences as SS is using a HT-made body for their Indy and Medicom bodies are shorter than HT ones..

Just my humble opinion..

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The one thing is that most of you will probably get your SS Indys at about the same time Wookster gets his, so it's too late if SS drop the ball again. I don't have one on order but can pick one up anytime whenever my retailer gets his. It's the only way I ever deal with Sideshow.

CHEERS!

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
I have seen both proto picture and I would send my money to Sideshow if I were to buy Indy.
Don't get me wrong there, I love Medicom's 1:6 and spent hundreds of dollars a month getting their Japanese heroes 1:6 action figures that nobody else is doing. The scale is right ie shorter since most Asian are about that stature. But it is easy to defect if folks like Hot Toys start getting licenses for Ultraman and Kamen Rider stuffs. So you know where I am coming from.

And Medicom is never strong on its hollywood-esque offerings. And collectors had other choices of the same genre to chose from ie Hot Toys, Sideshows etc which charge considerably cheaper (not all the time but most of the time) than a Medicom's version and at times yielded better crafted gear to top it off. However Medicom had done a freaking good job on X-Men Movie version Wolverine and Medi's Boba Fett and Sandtrooper is really hard to beat (scale aside).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.