One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw it today, and while it wasn't a bad movie at all, especially in comparison to Ang Lee's travesty, it still felt like it was missing something.

Maybe I'm stuck on an actual guy being the Hulk instead of a 12-foot CGI monster, I dunno...

I tend to like Ed Norton in anything he's in, and Liv Tyler was a much better Betty Ross than that other broad (anyone notice she's a dead ringer for a Gil Elvgren pin-up????) but it's hard to beat Sam Elliot as General Ross, especially if you're William Hurt.

The Stark cameo felt forced, and Robert Downey Jr. had a five o' clock shadow above his mustache, which was just weird...

I loved the nods to the original series...they certainly should've had more of that...but I'm not big on turning the Hulk into one of the Bourne movies, which was the obvious aim toward the beginning of the film.

I'm personally dreading the Avengers thing...I could see this getting way out of hand and I see a clash of egos so mighty that Eric Roberts and some misc. soap opera actor end up playing Bruce Banner & Iron Man respectively.

The action was great, but still a little too few and far between in my opinion. The fight with Abomination started out spectacularly, but it ended with what seemed to be a sheer loss of creative ideas, until they were just choking and pounding one another into the ground in a flurry of average-looking CGI.

I know it sounds like I'm being hard on the film, but it's really worth seeing. It just still wasn't quite enough to thrill me.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Anyone else seen it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
My fiance and I saw an advance screening on Tuesday as a radio station contest prize. While the fact that we saw it for free might bias my opinion, I think it was a pretty good film; (definitely better than Ang Lee's version!) The funny thing is that the screening was primarily for the local TV and newspaper critics; and many of them liked the Lee version better. The Stan Lee and Lou Ferigno cameos were definitely better in this version. There was something missing though, and the last scene with Tony Stark seemed like an add-on (like they didn't want to risk waiting until after the end credits as in "Ironman.") Sam Elliot did portray a better General Ross than William Hurt; (not to mention a higher ranking one. Elliot's Ross was a full General, while Hurt's was a Lieutenant General, who wore his shoulderboards upside down in his Class A's!!) I'm primarily a DC-Comics fan, so as long as "The Dark Knight" is good, I'll consider this a successful comic book summer; (I did like Ironman, as well.)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
the Marvel films are very much like AM radio... verse / chorus / verse / chorus / bridge / chorus... aside from Spider-Man 2, i don't think they capture the heart and soul of the stories presented in the monthlies... as with THE HULK, there are moments, but these glimpses lack followthrough... go to the source! why not get comic writers involved?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
the Marvel films are very much like AM radio... verse / chorus / verse / chorus / bridge / chorus... aside from Spider-Man 2, i don't think they capture the heart and soul of the stories presented in the monthlies... as with THE HULK, there are moments, but these glimpses lack followthrough... go to the source! why not get comic writers involved?
The Hulk and Ironman were made within Marvels own production company. So if anything sucks the blame goes directly to Marvel.

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any good previews? I was hoping for something on Punisher: Warzone. Originaly slated for Sept., is now on for Dec. 5.
Nah just the Clone Wars cartoon that Lucas is milking...but I think that whole thing has pretty much run it's course. :rolleyes

·
Registered
118 Posts
i saw it today with a friend and her brother. TO me it was best sterotypical hero movie. I like Ironman but this one blew me away. I laughed my ass off when the Hulk kicked that SpecOps guy into the tree! Anyone see the previews? I got late to the movie missed them.

·
The Blood Sword
165 Posts
Loved this film. I loved that the Hulk spoke somewhat, I loved the Lonely Man sequence and I loved that in this one Banner becomes the Hulk trying to make a Super Soldier unknowingly. What I loved the most were the fights. This action in this one was much better IMHO than Iron Man, even though Iron Man had a better story. I will definitely buy this on DVD.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
The scoop mongers at Latinoreview have covertly discovered who Marvel wants to pick up Steve Rogers shield last seen on Tony Stark’s workbench!

Marvel has been having one hell of a week. First the Jon Favreau controversy, then we have a he said/ she said argument brewing over Captain America’s cameo, oh and tomorrow THE INCREDIBLE HULK opens which kicked all sorts of ass.

Well, speaking of CAPTAIN AMERICA, I have myself a trusted source internally over at Marvel and they are now starting to toss names for the role of Steve Rogers.

The name at the top of the list?

LEONARDO DICAPRIO

Now before some loser film website goes out there and tries to debunk me let’s get it straight. Don’t expect Marvel to go on the record and say “Yes it’s true, we are looking at so and so.” Hollywood doesn’t work like that. Studios and production companies only go on the record to announce the casting of a role when it’s official. I announced the lead in the upcoming Prince of Persia. It took the trades weeks later to make it official. That being said…

NO OFFERS HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY MADE! NOBODY HAS BEEN CAST YET! DICAPRIO IS PROBABLY CLUELESS AT THIS POINT!

Just because Marvel wants him, doesn’t mean they are going to get him. Studios and production companies put together their wish lists when they are casting and work their way down the list. I personally believe DiCaprio is an odd choice. To me, Leo’s tall and lanky figure is perfect for Steve Rogers pre-super soldier serum but I wonder how they are going to make Leo look like a bulked up super soldier. Don’t get me wrong, he has the chops for the role but DiCaprio is awfully busy these days developing ATARI, FLEMING and a host of other projects over at Appian way.

Marvel is aiming real high when it comes to talent and rightfully so, it has paid off for them tremendously. I believe to get DiCaprio, they’re gonna have to nail down a kick ass script and a director first.

You know who else is also on the list in case they don’t get DiCaprio?

BRAD PITT

Marvel wants to be in the Brad Pitt business. They are willing to cast him either as THOR or CAPTAIN AMERICA. Now Brad Pitt as Captain America would be bad ass but as it stands right now…

…Marvel wants Leonardo DiCaprio as Captain America! (Blech)

and this.........

The hottest news is that on the eve of The Incredible Hulk's release, fans are in a frenzy over rumors regarding a cameo appearance by Captain America. Despite Leterrier's statements that Cap was cut from an artic sequence, Hurd personally told us he was never in the film.

"He didn't really mean the character of Captain America, unless there's something that I don't know...Captain America was not visible in that scene."

Who are you gonna believe, the director of the film or the big boss herself?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
3rd choice for Capn America is Gene Wilder (my personal favorite).....

About Incredible Hulk - I went in with somewhat lowered expectations (the CGI) - liked the movie. CGI was better than I expected, tho the Tim Roth early body work was poor, imo. Definitely an entertaining movie, at times both emotional and humorous, as well as actioned-up. I missed the shoulder boards, but think they took liberties with Roth's cartridges in the early black ops team sequence (which was still very good).
Does it seem like they spooled down the Hulk's strength just a bit, from the other movie?

"Don't make me Ang Lee, you wouldn't like me if I'm Ang Lee..."

·
Bash in my sleep.
3,023 Posts
Any good previews? I was hoping for something on Punisher: Warzone. Originaly slated for Sept., is now on for Dec. 5.
I cant wait for the new punisher..Even though Thomas Jane left the project after a rewrite in the script. Punisher is my favorite marvel character and its my second favorite marvel movie after spiderman 2

As for the hulk..I liked it but not as much as ironman..Ironman had more of a dark sense of humor throughout.Im looking forward to the next 2 Ironmans and then the avengers and so on..

·
Part-Time Action Hero
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant wait for the new punisher..Even though Thomas Jane left the project after a rewrite in the script. Punisher is my favorite marvel character and its my second favorite marvel movie after spiderman 2
Man I was the exact same way until I saw the trailer for the new Punisher.

:razz

Looks worse than the Dolph Lundgren trainwreck....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really liked the Incredible Hulk, just as much as I liked Iron Man. So far Marvel is on a 2-0 winning streak, and hopefully they continue the trend.

I'm assuming the Punisher movie is from Marvel Studios as well? It looks like it might be pretty good, and I definitely like the guys voice who's playing the Punisher.

Even if all these other movies sucked, the Dark Knight would still more than make up for them.

·
Bash in my sleep.
3,023 Posts
Man I was the exact same way until I saw the trailer for the new Punisher.

:razz

Looks worse than the Dolph Lundgren trainwreck....
ohh goodness lets hope not..Im going to try to find the trailer on YT now..I didnt know there was one out

I really liked the Incredible Hulk, just as much as I liked Iron Man. So far Marvel is on a 2-0 winning streak, and hopefully they continue the trend.

I'm assuming the Punisher movie is from Marvel Studios as well? It looks like it might be pretty good, and I definitely like the guys voice who's playing the Punisher.

Even if all these other movies sucked, the Dark Knight would still more than make up for them.
the dark knigth is going to be good..but I have not reallly been a DC fan..Marvel all the way

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
I just saw HULK.MAN IT ROCKED!!!

At first I didn't want to see it because Ed Norton isn't nerdy enough,but neither was Toby.But I heard a radio commercial,and I thought it sounded like the ultimate Fight Club.It wasn't but it was still great.

And I saw Cap.He was that guy who was running.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Ok, I finally saw it last night. I really enjoyed it, hell even the GF enjoyed it. It's no award winner but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

The last Hulk was such a let down. I didn't expect to much from this one.

Of all the recent Marvel super hero films this is up in my top 4.

Iron Man
Blade
X-Men
Hulk

If anyone is sitting on the fence on this one, get off and go see the movie.:devilhnd

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts