One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
College finally gave me a brief moment to breathe, and I've finally got some time to get back to my 1/6 addiction!

I've honed my 1/6 focus on modding my zy ATV before my other humvee projects. I've got a ton of reference pictures, I'm just stuck on tearing this thing apart! I've gotten a few things apart, but man this glue is a pain when disassembling!

Are there any tips, tricks, or methods that would make tearing this ATV down slightly easier?

So far I've used my x-acto kit, hot water, and small flatheads with slow progress, and I've had a few minor breaks with the pieces. (Thankfully nothing huge or highly visible!)

I've researched all kinds of debonder and glue remover, but the glue on this thing is not visible or accessible. Would a dremel help?

Any disassembly tips or tricks would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advanced for any guidance you may have to offer.

Mike

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
If you're sure it's glued, get after it with a Dremel tool and the narrowest cutting wheel they make. That technique will widen your gaps a skosh, but it beats broken pieces..

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,930 Posts
Can you take a pic of the joint in question?

If we can see the area that is stuck, we can give better advice for disassembly. I have a bunch of tools that can be used for assembly/disassembly, but some are better than others for the chosen task.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dadrab,

It's gotta be glue or another simile clear adhesive agent. It was slopped on pretty badly. That's what I was thinking as well. The gaps aren't too big of a deal as I intend on making a few things more like the 1:1 Polaris mv7 ATV.

Cdn, I will definitely try to get some pics up shortly.

Tiger and trnswrp10, I can't tell you how many hours I've soent drooling over that piece of artwork PG made! I'd love to find out how he did the lights and all.
But I'm also thinking I'm going to completely disassemble and then build it to be functional and have working features as well as more realistic. I wish the guys that have modded theirs would share their disassembly secrets! Haha

I'll hopefully have pics up momentarily.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's how she sits as of now:

It's tough to get a pic of them all clearly. The lines blend together and are sandwiched with all the doggone glue :doh:doh

Thank you again,

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crusader,

Right on, yeah acetone's some pretty potent stuff! What sucks is how tight these gaps are between each joint/section, makes it tough to apply it to where the glue is placed. Know what I mean?

I wonder if diluting it a bit with water would help?

Mike

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,930 Posts
First thing I would try is to figure out the glue/solvent used, then apply it along the seam to soften up the existing joint. You would still need some of that glue to attach everything when you need to assemble it again. Or some kind of 5 minute epoxy.

Next I would try a razor saw or finishing saw. Nice thin blade, with fine teeth. Like the ones on the link below. Even the mini hack saw blade would work if you use it by itself without the handle. The blade would be thicker though, so more material loss.

Maybe some type of small chisel. It can cut and handle light prying.

Shop Mini Miter Saws & Boxes, Jewelers Saw from Micro Mark

This site has some excellent stuff. All kinds of hobby tool gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crusader,

Touche my friend, I may give that a go. I just had the brakes go out on my truck today, and we're supposed to be getting a decent amount of snow here, so I've got to get my truck up and running now. It'd be a pain to ride my snowmobile to the store for acetone, plus I'm in the market for a Dremel as well.

CDN,

Right on. Any way to figure out the type of glue without contacting ZY?
That's one nifty site and tool! Added to my favorites for sure! I'm not too worried about material loss or gaps, since those are fairly easy to address. I was kicking an idea similar to yours around prior to posting my initial debacle. Even one of those nifty survival saws crossed my mind, and use it in a similar manner that wire is used to cut clay.

Tank Mechanic,

NICE! I shall look into that as well, especially since they just put up a new HF closer to me! I can think of about 100 different things off the top of my head I could use that for in 1:6 and other!

I appreciate all the intel mates!

I'll scrounge around the house tonight to see what I've got laying around that you guys have mentioned! If I wasn't grounded by my trucks brake issues, I'd be headed to HF and HD now!

I'll see what I can find and accomplish tonight and report back as soon as I can!

Mike

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,930 Posts
If you can find out the plastic, finding the proper glue is easy. You just need to know the material at the start, and a quick net search should yield the glue.

Or if you have any shops that deal ing plastic manufacturing or wholesale, take it to them and ask what it is, they may even have the glue right there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts