One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There've been a few deliveries to the FashionForce HQ this past couple of weeks, all of which are pre-ordered products. So here's another pictorial review.

Azami (the honey blonde in black leather) and Shimei (the brunette in electric blue leather) are the latest additions to ZCWO's ZC Girl line. They are a couple of biker gals (sorry, no motorcycles this time), and they are typical of the figures we've come to expect from ZCWO.

Both gals are packaged in the ZCWO wrap-around archive box with a magnetic closure.

What you get in the box for each figure is:

• Nicely detailed head sculpt for each, though both are from previously released molds with different hair and paint
  • ZC Pale Female body with long torsos and full back tattoos
  • Motorcycle helmet -- Black for Azami, Blue for Shimei
  • Leather-like (likely textured vinyl) motorcycle jacket -- black for Azami, blue for Shimei. The styling of these jackets is quite different. Azami's jacket is belted and has silver ring zipper pulls. Shimei's is not belted and has lanyard zipper pulls.
  • Leather-like motorcycle pants with one real and three false pockets -- again, black for Azami, blue for Shimei
  • "SPEAR" branded motorcycle boots. (Rubber, but finished to look like patent leather.)
  • Halter-top cotton shirt with an open back (for showing off the tattoo.)
  • Gloved grip-style hands
  • Long-blade knife

In addition, Azami has:
  • Three additional gloved hands (shotgun grip, karate flat and fist)
  • Pistol with custom handle and (over-sized) silencer
  • Pistol light
  • Shotgun with shell holder and six shells
  • Canvas shotgun holster

Note that the shotgun shell holder is intended to be mounted to the holster, but has no clips. You will need to use an adhesive. (I used cyanocrylate.)

Shimei comes with:
  • Leather-like belt with ammo holsters and two D-rings
  • Škorpion-style SMG with three different-sized clips, slide-on light, forward grip and silencer
  • Two white canister grenades. (Willy Petes?)

The clothes are vinyl, but are top-notch. Well-designed and well-fitted. All of the zippers work smoothly and it takes only a little effort to get the bottom of the jacket zippers unhooked and re-hooked. There's been some effort to "brand" the clothing so that we lose the generic faux pas of the Rosanna motorcycle that actually said "Motorcycle" on one of the exhaust guards where there normally would have been some form of branding.

The helmets are very nice. They fit well on the heads, tending slightly toward being loose rather than ridiculously tight. The visor flips up in standard fashion, but these helmets also have face guards that can be pulled all the way to the rear of the helmet, fully exposing the face. (The Azami photos show how this works.) You can even, with a bit of care, remove the faceguard and visor assembly, turning the helmet into a bicycle helmet.

The only clothing complaint I have is that Shimei's utility belt was not designed to go through the belt loops on her pants. I chose to use one front belt loop and then use her D-rings to keep the belt properly suspended.

The weapons are nothing to write home about -- typical single-cast plastic weapons with no moving parts. They look decent, but could definitely be improved with paint and weathering. The exception here is Azami's pistol. It's a classic butt-clip pistol with an "ivory" grip. A dragon design has been painted to appear as if it has been inlaid into the grip. It's a nice detail.

With a particular exception, the bodies are standard ZC Girl pale bodies. They pose as well as any other long-torso ZC Girl, which means they have a good range of motion everywhere except the waist and they can hold a pose well. With the boots on, they are a little hard to get to stand on their own, though, since the boots are stiff rubber -- they tend to fight any pose you are imposing on the figure's ankles. You can get a standing pose to work without a stand, (see the photos), but you do have to deal with the boots attempting to pull the ankles to a neutral position.

The big exception to these bodies is that they have some incredibly detailed tattoos covering their entire backs. These are single-color (green) tattoos, but the detail is incredible. Azami has an eight-armed rendition of Kali, the Hindu Death goddess; Shimei has a beautiful blonde woman in a diaphanous gown, chained to an ornate cross, posed in a crucifixion stance. I should note that both images display an exposed breast, so depending on your company's policies, the tattoo detail photos below and in the galleries may be considered NSFW.

Unlike many ZCWO character figures, these do not come with a half-torso, which allows for a greater range of motion at the waist. The tattoos were a big deal for these two biker babes, so the omission was intentional and is somewhat forgivable.

The headsculpts, while very attractive and well-rooted, are from the ZCWO cookie-cutter factory. I could awear that I've seen both sculpts before on other ZCWO figures with different hair colors, styles and makeup. (You can easily find a tan version of the Azami sculpt on eBay.) The paint is good down to the eyes, though the eyes have been cheated a bit by asterizing the pupils to simulate iris texturing. After seeing what Triad has done with their new paint process on their eyes, the ZC Girl eyes are a bit of a let down. But they are still well-done and only seem sub-par in close-up photos.

The heads also do not feature ERT (Eye Rotation Technique.) I've been really pleased with this feature and it's one I've come to expect from ZCWO. This will dock a few points from the scorecard.

I do have a real complaint about the head sculpts, though -- they have not been properly color matched to the pale bodies. They are significantly darker and have more of a brown tone. You can see this clearly in the photos below. They probably actually work better on the normal Caucasian bodies. Given the level of detail seen everywhere else, this is a gross oversight.

SCORECARD
Figure: B+ Standard ZCWO, but extra points for the amazing tattoos, even without the short torso.
Head Sculpt: B- Nothing new to see here. And no ERT? Tsk! Tsk! Plus Triad is now giving everyone a new standard to live up to for mass-produced heads.
Clothes: A+ Great clothes, great fit, great styling. Excellent complement to the theme and the figures.
Weapons & Accessories: C+ Ho-hum single-cast plastic and a WTF utility belt. Props for the ivory-handled pistol, though.

Azami's Gallery: ZCWO Azami -- Review Pix - Sixth Scale Action Figure Gallery
Shimei's Gallery: ZCWO Shimei -- Review Pix - Sixth Scale Action Figure Gallery

AZAMI'S PIX

Note that there are additional pix in Azami's Gallery.

SHIMEI'S PIX

There are more pix in Shimei's Gallery.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Re: IN HAND: ZCWO Biker Girls Azami and Shimei

Thanks for the review - loving the helmets:)

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: IN HAND: ZCWO Biker Girls Azami and Shimei

Great review! I have Azami, and I like her, with the caveats you mentioned.
Thanks, gunm. It's easy to overlook the faults in these figures. If it wasn't clear from the review, I'm enjoying them as well.

Thanks for the review - loving the helmets:)
Your welcome! And yes, the helmets rock. Let me know if you'd like to see some more detailed photos of them.

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
Nicely done friend. I dont have a single female figure. But I must admit these are impressive. I especially like the accessories. I would love to get my hands on the Boots [assuming they fit male figs] and the shot gun holder. Thanks for taking the time to give an solid review

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great review! Answered all the questions I could possibly have about these two, and I've been very curious about them since seeing previews. Now I have to decide which one I'll get! (although I'm leaning more towards Shimei...)
Thanks phantom11! I started to worry that the review was too long, but couldn't figure out what to cut. Caveats noted, I'm sure you will enjoy whichever one you choose.

Nicely done friend. I dont have a single female figure. But I must admit these are impressive. I especially like the accessories. I would love to get my hands on the Boots [assuming they fit male figs] and the shot gun holder. Thanks for taking the time to give an solid review
Thanks for your kind comments. It takes several hours to put together a review like this one, so I'm glad folks are finding it helpful.

There are normal female pegs and feet in the boots, though you will need needle nose pliers to get them out. I'll try putting the boots on one of my male figures tonight and reply back here on whether or not they are compatible.

·
1:6 Junkie/Kitbashin noob
241 Posts
Argh my eyes!! I really dislike figures like this. They scream Barbie to me sorry. Plus its the eternal argument in my mind - which is better rooted or sculpted hair!. Cool review however. The weapons look ok - I might try and pick some up off evil bay or something. For some reason I can't resist a 1/6 shotgun haha.

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the preview of the two figures, I like both, but for ninety dollars I will pass.
I agree that it's a bit on the steep side, but that's the general neighborhood for mass-produced female boxed figures these days. :( Depending on the manufacturer and costuming/accessories, you are looking at US$65 - $120 for most character sets.

Argh my eyes!! I really dislike figures like this. They scream Barbie to me sorry. Plus its the eternal argument in my mind - which is better rooted or sculpted hair!. Cool review however. The weapons look ok - I might try and pick some up off evil bay or something. For some reason I can't resist a 1/6 shotgun haha.
A lot of personal taste goes into people's view of these figures. I don't see Barbie when I look at these figures since the proportions are anatomically correct and the range of motion and articulation goes way beyond Mattel's ridiculously long-legged fashion dolls. Perhaps the industry needs to bring yet more reality to the female faces. Or maybe some folks just can't get past the belief that a female figure has to be a Doll, not an Action Figure. That's an argument way beyond the scope of this thread. :)

On the hair argument, I will generally prefer real hair that can be styled and has a realistic texture -- to me it adds value to the figure. Sculpted hair has to be really well done, and short, for me to take the plunge in that direction. Triad's Abigail Van Helsing is an acceptable exception in my eyes. (Though I hope they thin her eyebrows in the production version. Can you say "caterpillars"?) Again, this is a potential holy war that goes beyond the scope of this review.

Another excellent review, thank you Cold Justice. I will be seriously considering one of these two !!
Thanks, unklian! I'm sure you'll be very happy if you take the plunge.

blackops4free wondered aloud whether or not the boots would work on a male figure. I said I would take a look and, well, here's what I discovered:

I took Shimei and Agent Crimson into the FashionForce Labs. Crimson is a Triad Toys' Omega figure. You can see that Crimson is almost a head taller than Shimei.

I removed Shimei's boot (and her foot in the boot) and then extracted her foot using needle-nose pliers.

One odd thing to note is that her feet were medium/tan colored, like her head -- not pale like the rest of the body and the foot peg. Interesting... but irrelevant.

I then removed Crimson's foot from his body and then pulled it out of his sock and shoe. You'll notice that Crimson's foot is thicker than Shimei's.

The male foot is also a bit longer and wider:

I then took off Shimei's other boot and put the bare foot against the sole to get an idea of how much room there is in the shoe when the foot is inserted. As you can see, it's a close fit, width-wise:

And finally I did the same with Crimson's foot. There's no room here at all.

At this point, I terminated the experiment. Since the boots are rubber (or, more likely, vinyl), I could have forced the larger foot into the boot, but since getting a properly-sized foot out of the boot took considerable effort (about two minutes of tugging, twisting and deforming the boot) I didn't want to risk it.

So, assuming that the feet of the Omega are typical, I cannot recommend using male feet in these boots, unless you are willing to possibly sacrifice a foot and possibly commit to only using the boot with male figures.

Attachments

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Nice photo review -- thanks! Unfortunately, I think it has also confirmed my decision to skip out on these figs. I'm not crazy about the headsculpts and there doesn't seem to be much else I'm that interested in other than maybe the black biker outfit and the shotgun.

Also, minor correction: Shimei is carrying a Skorpion-style SMG, not an Uzi. It's the same SMG that came with Rosanna and a few other figures. Definitely one of their nicer pieces, IMO.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice photo review -- thanks! Unfortunately, I think it has also confirmed my decision to skip out on these figs. I'm not crazy about the headsculpts and there doesn't seem to be much else I'm that interested in other than maybe the black biker outfit and the shotgun.

Also, minor correction: Shimei is carrying a Skorpion-style SMG, not an Uzi. It's the same SMG that came with Rosanna and a few other figures. Definitely one of their nicer pieces, IMO.
i agree. the head is just :X and it doesnt match the body AT ALL. it's such a glaring difference with an orangish skin and a pale body. and those coked out expression in the eyes are just too funny :lol

all the weapons are rehashes from their previous figures and even the outfit looks like just a variation on the roseanna figure

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
Awsome!!!! Completely clear. Now thats a tutorial..But now I have a complex.. you did all that way too easy...Tell me you pinched your finger with those plyers at least once...Hahaha just kidding.. Man..#[email protected]!* I really dig the boots.. That style works well with Civi bashes. I may opt for the latter suggestion..Wait.. I have a few old schools G 3.5 bods and feet. They are small compared to most... If necessary I can narrow them enough to fit.. May have to heat the boots...But in any event... High Five and a Cyber Pound.. its this kind of info that some times saves members a lil money and helps us make informed decisions...Thanks again

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Thanks again for this great review! Nice clear photos along with your impressions are a real help.

I kind of like the blue outfit; it's a nice break from all of my black "biker chick" outfits. Besides, now she would be color coordinated with my BMW sport bike (and we know how important that is). I like the boots that come with the blue outfit as well- the blue portions kind of break up the all black look. The new boots look to be completely different from Rosanna's as hers were molded to work on a the bike and made standing almost impossible. The new molds look to be a nice improvement.

Have you tried to pose these figures on a bike? I realize the one-piece torso was chosen as a canvas for the tattoos, but it severely limits how the figures can be posed. ZC started to delete the short torso with their sniper, Muriel, and it ruined the figure for me (I had to buy a short torso for her from eBay). A short torso would have been a nice option to have for these bikers.

Your photos of the boots in comparison to the Triad Omega's foot is very interesting. Thanks for the extra effort to show that they would be a very difficult fit.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Can you try to put the clothes and boot set onto a Takara/BBI Cygirl 2.0 Body and see how it fits? I may want to try to get the clothes loose instead.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I like the boots that come with the blue outfit as well- the blue portions kind of break up the all black look. The new boots look to be completely different from Rosanna's as hers were molded to work on a the bike and made standing almost impossible. The new molds look to be a nice improvement.
Just curious... what do you mean "hers were molded to work on the bike?"
Aren't they the same mold? Just repainted?

Thanks for the review, CJ!

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awsome!!!! Completely clear. Now thats a tutorial..But now I have a complex.. you did all that way too easy...Tell me you pinched your finger with those plyers at least once...Hahaha just kidding.. Man..#[email protected]!* I really dig the boots.. That style works well with Civi bashes. I may opt for the latter suggestion..Wait.. I have a few old schools G 3.5 bods and feet. They are small compared to most... If necessary I can narrow them enough to fit.. May have to heat the boots...But in any event... High Five and a Cyber Pound.. its this kind of info that some times saves members a lil money and helps us make informed decisions...Thanks again
Modifying a male foot to fit is a simple and brilliant solution. It should only take a bit if shaving and sanding to make it work.

Thanks again for this great review! Nice clear photos along with your impressions are a real help.

I kind of like the blue outfit; it's a nice break from all of my black "biker chick" outfits. Besides, now she would be color coordinated with my BMW sport bike (and we know how important that is). I like the boots that come with the blue outfit as well- the blue portions kind of break up the all black look. The new boots look to be completely different from Rosanna's as hers were molded to work on a the bike and made standing almost impossible. The new molds look to be a nice improvement.

Have you tried to pose these figures on a bike? I realize the one-piece torso was chosen as a canvas for the tattoos, but it severely limits how the figures can be posed. ZC started to delete the short torso with their sniper, Muriel, and it ruined the figure for me (I had to buy a short torso for her from eBay). A short torso would have been a nice option to have for these bikers.

Your photos of the boots in comparison to the Triad Omega's foot is very interesting. Thanks for the extra effort to show that they would be a very difficult fit.
You're welcome, OSW! I should have some time this evening to get a few poses in showing one of the girls on the Rosanna motorcycle. It would be nice to get a side-by-side with Rosanna to compare outfits, too.

The boot mold is better for standing -- it has a flat bottom instead of the curved "rocker" bottom that Rosanna has.

Thanks for the review.

Can you try to put the clothes and boot set onto a Takara/BBI Cygirl 2.0 Body and see how it fits? I may want to try to get the clothes loose instead.
That's a great idea, Valken. I'll add that to the photo request queue.

Just curious... what do you mean "hers were molded to work on the bike?"
Aren't they the same mold? Just repainted?

Thanks for the review, CJ!
You are very welcome, rollo! As I mentioned above to OSW, the Rosanna boot was not flat, but kind of curved like the feet of a rocking chair! Almost impossible to get her to free stand (though I've been able to do it with some quirky poses.)

·
Home of the FashionForce
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I put Azami on the Rosanna Pale motorcycle, which is a crotch-rocket wannabe. This bike really wants the rider to almost lay flat against the gas tank to ride it.

With Azami there were some limitations to her range of motion for getting a proper pose on this bike. Between the torso articulation and the thigh articulation at the pelvis you just can't get her to lean forward enough to get all five of the following in position:

• Left hand on the grip
  • Right hand on the grip
  • Butt firmly in the seat
  • Left foot on the foot pegs
  • Right foot on the foot pegs.

You can, however, get three and even four of the above going at one time, which means that you can still get good photos -- you just have to live with your guilt over knowing that one of the legs or hands that is off-camera is not in its proper place.

Here are some really quick pix I got off a few minutes ago while the sunlight was good:

Different bikes will probably yield different results. But in these photos, the long torso EVE body is at its limit for raising the knee toward the chest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts