One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's an old kitbash I'd like to share from years ago that never saw the light of day. I thought I'd post it while waiting for my Tarawa USMC Machinegunner.
The black land combat boots and leather leggings are scratch-built. His submachine-gun is MP28, widely used by SNLF troops since the China campaigns.

This sailor is a member of the 7TH Sasebo Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF). He represents one of the crack force 1,500 SNLF defenders of Tarawa Atoll, the first major objective of the U.S. island-hopping campaign in November 1943. Along with 1,000 sailors of the 3rd Special Base Force, the Rikusentai, known in the West as "Japanese Marines", inflicted the U.S. 2nd Marine Div. 1,000 killed and missing, 2,300 wounded during the 3-day assault- one of the bloodiest in the battle history of the U.S. Marine Corps. With their backs to the sea, and re-embarkation out of the question, only the raw courage and resiliency of individual Marines saved the operation from near-disaster. When the chips are down, the Marines won the battle old fashioned style- squad level, officers in front. At the end of the battle, only 17 men of the garrison surrendered- mostly Korean laborers caught in the fighting- grim preview of things to come. Tarawa was a major lesson in amphibious warfare, learned the hard way.

·
OSW Pug Warrior
5,658 Posts
Re: Imperial Japanese Navy Special Naval Landing Force "Riku Sen Tai" Tarawa 1

:wideyes Wow, that is just pro custom work! Luvv the detailing there. Now can't wait to see what you do with your Marine.

Cheers!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the comments lads.
Ha-ha, yes, I'm trying to save money for that Soldier Story Marine!:wink

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,306 Posts

I'm actually building a MP28 for my Japanese 1:1 Reenactment loadout. ANYWAYS! Getting back to the subject.

Great job on your Japanese IJN.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

excellent job from another IJA/IJN enthusiast. Always good to see others posting their works.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

Very fine workover of Ichiro. He was a good figure, now made great by your bash. Man oh man, I miss bbi.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'm actually building a MP28 for my Japanese 1:1 Reenactment loadout. ANYWAYS! Getting back to the subject.

Great job on your Japanese IJN.
Cool! Share us some photos of the reenactment if you can next time, that'll be good reference for all. Quite an expensive hobby you got there, but surely awesome!

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts

Nice bash! Didn't know the Japanese used German SMG's and stick grenades...................

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice bash! Didn't know the Japanese used German SMG's and stick grenades...................
Me neither, at that time I made this.
MP18/ MP28 are designated as Type BE (for Bergmann) which are Swiss imports, according to my reference.:think

Here's a few references I used, could be useful if anyone's interested.
The book page was one I found at the local library, a USMC history book I think.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts