One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

START RANT . . .

It's probably me, but . . . IMHO . . . and I'm just saying . . .

I believe the perception is growing more than usual that some of us being more price conscientious than normal as of late ranging from looking for HT compatible bodies or the real deal as cheap as possible and other difficult or hard to obtain items that are commanding worthy prices, but some are not receipt and quite frankly will not pay accordingly for them because of $ limitations and/or demands/expectations equating demanding/wanting a filet mignon at the price of a dollar value menu item.

Price is continuing to be a sore & touchy subject for virtually all of us . . . and many here are always empathetic & sympathetic to lend a ear and help out, but maybe . . . just maybe . . . it's becoming a bit too common and possibly overused as of late?

Dare I say . . . some come off as demanding/expecting fellow collectors to "subsidize" their demanding/exacting 1:6 wants for certain items? Perhaps, I'm reading it all wrong? I believe in karma as much as the next person, but I have an issue with demanding/expecting karma as a default.

Back in the day when I was active in WW II 1:6 collecting and I acquired those DML Cyber-Hobby.com exclusives . . . I remember every now and then being asked by some @ $ $ hat fellow collector asking quite bluntly if I would trade them a certain item from the figure ranging from the head sculpt, a medal, an accessory, whatever on the cheap or for inferior items that I have no need or want for. I always politely declined or not bothered to respond. Call me callous and rude . . . but given what was asked and/or the way I was approached . . .

I probably may have done the same thing back then, but nowadays I know better than to ask . . . because to me it's just plain discourteous & wrong unless the collector offers to break down a figure and offers certain items on their terms.

The same goes for recommendations about this item and this type of body . . . many chime in with assistance on comparisons and where to find it, but in some instances . . . it comes off as if the person looking for the difficult to procure item is either indifferent or just quite oblivious to the same type of answers and looking for something different or if the item is found . . . then it boils to price and availability and they can't pull the trigger and then lament about it when it's gone or post again about where else to look for it, etc.?

This post/thread is not directed at anyone in particular as of late and I'm not calling anyone out, but it's something I've seen here and elsewhere as of late. Maybe . . . it's just business as usual and I'm noticing these types of instances more so than usual or there really is an unsaid and unwillingness to confront the price conscientious mindset as collectors given increasing prices and how some unfortunately are being priced out of the hobby and generally speaking fewer collectors in the hobby can very likely translate into eventually the death or a hobby in one form or another.

Again . . . I know this is a sensitive subject for some/many . . . I'm not one necessarily to back away from a controversial discussion, but I felt the need to rant today.

If you disagree with what I posted/said, then by all means . . . please disagree. If you feel the need & validation to insult me for my posting, then go ahead. We're among fellow 1:6 collectors and not necessarily friends, so speak your 1:6 mind.

END RANT . . .

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I'm not really sure what the hell you're driving at.

Certainly, I'm not paying HT prices...plain and simple. I've written it on many occasions. I think their stuff is nice, but it costs too damn much money for what you get.

I know all these figures will pass me by, and that may be where I'm losing what you're alluding to.

Perhaps I'm one of the few, but I don't give a damn. They're just too expensive.

Now, having said that, I'm all about getting HT knock offs or other quality items that look to be of value to me.

I don't know anything about asking folks to break down kits. I've never done that. If there's a specific item I want, I find it. And, if I don't, the world ain't gonna end.

Which is a nice segue into my favorite rant about a hobby becoming an obsession.

:wink

·
Life is tough then u die
966 Posts
Just asking aloud. When did OSW become Facebook? Each day I get on I see another thread of complaints about the hobby and the people in it or some random junk that later gets shutdown. I get on to enjoy the works that others have done. Not see what the newest whine session is all about. Because frankly I could get on Facebook to see that. I tend to avoid these because all of the sudden it becomes a whole well that offends me. But I feel that if we keep feeding into any posts like these, they will just keep coming. This next comment is not directed towards anyone and should not be read into to start any fights because or how its read. If you don't like the prices, sellers, buyers... then leave the hobby or just do the figures for yourself. Like others, I do feel as if prices are very high. I also have to agree with dadrab, if I want a piece I will buy it. If I can't find it well then I guess I didn't really need it. So now that my "rant" is done I will just read what others have to say and try not to comment anymore.

·
1:1 Humanoid Automaton
284 Posts
I know what you mean, I sell a variety of 1/6 to 1/8 stuff on ebay and ever now and then someone asks me for only a certain part of an item in the listing. I have sold a lot of what would be considered hard to find items, most of them listed at prices lower than even the original retail price and still some people try to offer 1/3 the price or just want parts from a complete figure.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Don't have a clue as to what you're on about as usual but as far as prices go and killing the hobby etc.. that's never going to happen when we have so many great builders here, sure I love to splash some cash on an Iron Man figure now and again to treat myself but mostly if I see something I like or even just imagine it and can't get it due to cost or availability I just do my best to make my own. To me that's what this hobby is all about, construction and creativity not just taking a figure out of a cardboard box and putting it in a glass one. With that said, price becomes less of an issue, it doesn't break the bank to make an IM HAMMER Drone out of an old 2nd hand Hasbro IM figure and a broken printer.

·
Hi, I'm an addict!
3,470 Posts
I know in your rant you said you're not intending to call anyone out, but I can't help but feel this is directed at me in some part. I still don't get why you came out all judgmental because I'm looking to save a buck or two. Now there's this rant about it. Dude, I don't see why it bothers you how and what others buy. I have ht bodies, as well as other brands, and yes knock offs as well. So what? I asked about a body, I got answers, then made a comment about getting one for a fair price. Where is the crime in that? I'm not going to pay $80 for a base body. I have paid as much as $60. Is that wrong of me?

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Ok first off lets keep this thread on an even keel...if at any point it starts into insinuating, inflammatory or derogatory comments I will shut it down and those involved...will be dealt with. OK Mod off

Numerous threads have been written about the price of this hobby. Many people chimed in, arguments ensued..etc etc

I will say this, Hobbies are as cheap or as expensive as you want them to be.

If you are going broke, can't pay your bills, have the collection agency after you because of this hobby ...you have a problem and should really seek help.

If you can pay your bills and are doing ok generally then spend as much as you want.

Believe it no not, some people work two jobs, one just to have money for this hobby.

I don't smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol... so this is my fix, I call it therapy. :bag

·
11,540 Posts
Did you just tell us to "mod off" after saying we shouldn't be inflammatory?! :lol (joke).

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
OPPL

you got it...some times being a moderator on this forum I have to be careful what and how I say things...but as a regular member i am allowed to comment on threads as well, I usually try and let it be known when I am in Moderator mode and when i am not...:popcorn

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know in your rant you said you're not intending to call anyone out, but I can't help but feel this is directed at me in some part. I still don't get why you came out all judgmental because I'm looking to save a buck or two. Now there's this rant about it. Dude, I don't see why it bothers you how and what others buy. I have ht bodies, as well as other brands, and yes knock offs as well. So what? I asked about a body, I got answers, then made a comment about getting one for a fair price. Where is the crime in that? I'm not going to pay $80 for a base body. I have paid as much as $60. Is that wrong of me?
--

You can choose to believe me or not, but honestly & truthfully . . . it's not aimed or directed . . . not even indirectly at you. Your inquiry earlier today happened to be coincidental and/or coincide with what I wanted to pay/say for a while. Granted, the tone & words may lead to you believe otherwise, but that's not the case. I already addressed this with you in your thread. If you still feel otherwise . . . I'm sorry.

With regards to what crusader1xxx posted . . .

I am not going to boast or claim to make a lot of $. I live comfortably and within means & reasons. I experienced pretty much all of what I posted and then some from both sides of the 1:6 fence.

My hobby is my fix . . . therapy . . . whatever. I don't do any illegal drugs other than what I'm legally prescribed by my physician due to medical necessity.

Yes. I get worked up . . . furious . . . outspoken . . . crazy . . . about the hobby at times. The few who personally know & met me in person can & will attest to that. crusader1xxx never met me in person, but he's known me long enough through the years online that I can & will get worked up at times . . . rightly & wrongly.

I experienced similar instances back in the day when I used to collect comic books.

I believe every hobby experiences all of what we see when it comes to "price" of the hobby itself . . . ranging from comic books, model trains, coins, stamps, beanie babies, whatever. Don't get me started on how much a single comic book costs nowadays compared when I was actively collecting from 1985 to 1998 and the collectible & demand aspect of back issues and grading guidelines.

I ranted. I got it out of my system. The hobby continues. I don't see myself not discussing/posting about the 1:6 hobby . . . the good . . . and the bad . . . and the irritating . . . here & elsewhere . . . anytime soon short of just quitting and/or doing something so unforgivable that will have my @ $ $ shown the door and slammed shut. I don't see myself doing that anytime soon (hopefully) . . . short of my premature demise, but given my disposition . . . I'll probably find a way to post from the grave.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
i was going to say something but when i do i all ways get banned thats why im drinking my DOSS XX WITH A STEAK :bag

·
11,540 Posts
I took it to mean the Mod cap was being taken off and regular member cap being put on.
OPPL

you got it...some times being a moderator on this forum I have to be careful what and how I say things...but as a regular member i am allowed to comment on threads as well, I usually try and let it be known when I am in Moderator mode and when i am not...:popcorn
I know, I was just being silly, in the UK "sod off" is akin to "F-off" in the USA and it just sounded too close and appropriately funny where you had said it too.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't like these long philosophical discussions about the 1/6 Hobby, most often they seem to focus on worrying about other collectors in the hobby.

I should just skip these threads, but it's like a car crash I have to look :dunno

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I don't like these long philosophical discussions about the 1/6 Hobby, most often they seem to focus on worrying about other collectors in the hobby.

I should just skip these threads, but it's like a car crash I have to look :dunno
oo so your the one doing all the traffic jams on the freeways huh

1 - 20 of 44 Posts