One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Most of you likely have no idea who I am. Some of the old timers may recognize the name.

With the goal of promoting the hobby, a group of us recently tossed a number of ideas around. Essentially, nothing can happen without a united front. We all have to work together to keep this hobby going, and we'll be doing our part from Southern California at a grassroots level....like the old days.

If you're interested, we'll be setting up a FB page as a source of info for ideas and upcoming meets. Hopefully we can kick 'er in the pants and get things rolling again.

Post here if this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Wish I was in SoCal...

·
Professional nerd
91 Posts
Adding on to laughinggravy2 had said: we're looking to get a regular thing going again in SoCal after a few years of wandering around doing other stuff. Customizers, collectors, all are welcome.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey LG, good to see you kicking about again. The AZ Joeheads are always game for a good battle royale. How about Blithe in August? HA HA HA
Keep us posted if you get something brewin and I will see if I can talk a couple of the local fellows into a road trip.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hey Armand! Good to see you back! I do miss the So Cal road trips. I'd love to see something getting going again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on, buds.

The FB page is Southern California One-Sixth Scale Action Figure Group. Find it and comment, or whatever, and you'll get added.

We talked over some cool ideas the other day, and as soon as schedules allow we'll be setting some in motion.

Thanks to you old to timers for the kind words. Was beginning to think I was forgotten. Lol

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Welcome LG!! Great to have you back, amigo!! :notworthy

This board could use your brand of wisdom and logic. For those that don't know, LG is a member from WAY back and was very active locally and on the board.

Now as far as bringing the hobby back or having stuff to do in SoCal, there have been MANY shows in SoCal over the last 3-5 years; DeSimone show in Burbank (now Pasadena), Brewer Bros in Huntington Beach, Chino and San Pedro, Socal Joe Show in Temecula and occasional 1/6 Shows at Frank & Sons. I posted/post about nearly all of them here on the board.

Plenty of 1/6 dealers have been at these (with one notable exception), but I can count on one hand the number of guys from this board or Weekend of Heroes that came in to help keep the hobby alive.
Even guys from AZ attended some of these, but most local OSW old timers were MIA.

If 1/6 collectors won't support shows, 1/6 sellers will soon drop out, and more shows will just be for the 3 3/4" Joe crowd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JB is right.

There are several shows in SoCal throughout the year. However, they often piggyback onto other shows or in conjunction with (hey, sometimes you gotta take it where you can get it, right?).

The idea is, again at a grassroots level to begin with, to re-establish that sense of 1/6 first. If we can start with the occasional regular meeting, showcasing local talent and getting back to that "club" feel, encouraging new and old fans to just enjoy the hobby rather than make it a race, then we're halfway there. Can we hope to bring back a 1/6 show? Let's not put the cart before the horse just yet. We gotta learn to stand again before running.

Of course, it all comes down to numbers. "If you build IT, they will come." Sure, but if IT is caca, whether a so-so show, or politics, or a sense of superiority/inferiority, whatever, people won't want to play.

The idea is to remind everyone that, at it's core, this is supposed to be fun. It's even more fun when you can share it. Participation, affirmation, it all comes together.

The plan is to build a ballpark in an Iowa cornfield. Then, they'll come.....or at least be inspired to build their own in their areas. If we build a landfill instead, well, that won't end as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts