One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Humvee Madman
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been playing about with a new modular shelving system from IKEA called LAXVIK. Thought you guys might like to take a look.

Starts as a metal base unit 15" x 18" x 31" (W/H/L) with add ons for height or length. The two bays shown here. Base plus one height add on cost $70 australian (base =$25 Height add on =$15 and 3x clear glass shelves $10 each) Pretty good value around these parts. The Humvee just fits on the top but its plenty big enough for a Kubel or some jeeps. We've been using them in my wifes' shop for some time now and they work great. She has a whole wall done( five bays wide by four bays high and it looks smashing.) Sturdy and strong I can easily move the big unit without the glass in it without much flex or twist. I just thought if you are looking for some low cost glass shelving this might help.

Dan

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree with Dandid, enclosed glass still better - less dusty. I have lots of them and they look great!

IKEA also produced very nice CD racks which I use to put my figures. IKEA stuff is cheap and good :) just thot i'll share.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a good heads-up, Dan. Sturdy and stout are the key. Now, show a pic of the wife. ;) ;)

I find it funny how people can go through all the effort of weathering a fig, but think that a bit of dust is going to hurt it. :lol

I've got an enclosed glass cabinet for figs in suits, etc., but everybody else, the fighting men, goes on open shelves..bring on the dust. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
In case anyone is asking, the enclosed glass cabinets look like the IKEA "Detolf" model. I have a few of them myself - they're currently around $60, and you can fit 5 figures on each level fairly easily. There are small gaps on the edges of the front door, so dust can get in, but it'd be a lot less than an open shelf. The "Detolf" model also stands on 4 small plastic feet, and the top has a pre-drilled hole in case you want to install a light. If you try to fit 5 figures on a shelf, a good idea might be to get plastic risers at the Container Store to elevate the figures in the back.

·
Humvee Madman
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HP-- Sadly no HP not finished just dusted and moved once again. One day ...

Justin_g -- Thanks, for more pics take a look in my member gallery as I have almost all my figs in there.

LG--Hmmmmm sturdy and stout she may be but she's a goer and has put up with this old mans ****e for 20+years. Afraid only pic would be the smack up side my head.:eek

trident-- Take a look at my post about sealing the door with weather striping. It works a treat.

Kinster-- Such a cool looking display. Where did you get the glass box for the top it looks killer!

Doc--Metal work looks to be powdercoated steel in a silver gray color. Nice not too shiny.

Dan

·
Kinetics in One Sixth
570 Posts
Kinster-- Such a cool looking display. Where did you get the glass box for the top it looks killer!

Dan
I thought the original cabinet wasn't tall enough and I could use the roof as an extra shelf. I had the glass box custom made at my local picture-framing shop. Gave them exact measurements so the box will fit in with the cabinet. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's another simple idea if you want to display your figures in a Detolf cabinet or similar cabinet. Using the "table" function on a standard word processing system (such as Word), you can generate boxes that have a consistent size, and you can type within the boxes any identifying information you'd like to label your figures. (Leave alternate rows blank so you can use the blank rows as the base for your labels.) For example, I display mostly WWII and modern figures representing multiple countries, so I identify each figure either by type (ex. "Paratrooper" for an 82nd Airborne figure), service branch, country, and approximate year being represented (such as "c. 1944").

ScanmanDan - thanks for the tip about weatherstripping. I thought about using the clear plastic edge guards for car doors, myself, but they're not long enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts