One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I can't figure this one out...
Some of the Ignite Roman shields have developed large cracks in the metal bossing at the center as you can see in the picture below.

The metal piece not only cracked but has pulled away (buckled?) from the plastic shield. The plastic shield however doesn't appear to have distorted.

The cracks along the center bossing are not superficial, they go all the way through the metal.

Other shields remain unaffected.

I'll have to figure out a way to repair this but was wondering - has anyone else had the same problem? Any ideas what may be causing this? These were on display in my home office library shelf, not dropped or exposed to rough handling or direct sunlight. At this point I'm guessing it may be due to inconsistent factory production controls and I just had the bad luck on the the shields that cracked.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Judging from the cracks and the way the base pulled away from the shield proper, it looks like the hole for the dome was a shade too small, but the dome was forced in anyhow.

Over time, the stress has found a way to relieve itself.

I've never seen it before. Rather odd.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently also this happened to two other collectors I know in my area. The metal bossing is brittle and crumbles apart. My guess is Ignite used a cheap 'pot metal' for their 'die cast metal' parts.

From Wikipedia:
...Depending on the exact metals "thrown into the pot," pot metal can become unstable over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age. The low boiling point of zinc and fast cooling of newly cast parts often trap air bubbles within the cast part, weakening it. Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off. Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered or welded.

Oh well...
Not much left to do but figure out how to salvage these :sadshake

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Oh well... Not much left to do but figure out how to salvage these :sadshake
Sadly, it's not even a kind of deterioration you can pass off as battle damage...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts