One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roman heads & helmets (II)

This is a mini-review done in haste as I have many fish to fry today, as the saying goes. The subject is the new Roman Legionary w/ Attic helmet. The figure and all his gear, save one piece, are rehashed from earlier releases, so forgive me if I brush past those with only that comment, for now at least.

The helmet is the only new piece - the Greek-inspired officer's Attic helmet. I've commented before that I have no earthly idea what possessed them to release this piece on a legionary figure, as apart from POSSIBLY the Praetorian Guard, no self-respecting legionary would be caught dead wearing one after about 250BC!!!

The piece is nicely made, a real beauty in fact, which is all the more depressing considering what it is NOT… It is made so small I half-jokingly refer to it to myself as being 1:7 scale!!! This is a real crime IMNSHO. It fits more or less well on the supplied head - a curious goateed fellow who looks more at home in a late-20C business suit or in a bad "B" Movie as a villain than he does as a Roman - especially as a Roman legionary!! It will fit any "pin heads" you can round up. I quickly tried it on the head supplied with the IGNITE gladiator "net man" and that head is such a "pin head" it almost falls off!! I also tried it on two DML sculpts that seem to work more or less OK. Then I tried it out on a DML sculpt I REALLY wanted to use - "no joy." OK, I can't blame IGNITE for that. It's not their job to fit their helmet to another company's' sculpts, and the fact the one I wanted to use was DML and doesn't work is just "hard cheese." BUT then I tried it out on the ONE HEAD of all the IGNITE releases you would THINK they sure as heck would have made sure it would fit - Gaius Iulius Caesar!!! The result???

:rant
It doesn't feckin' fit!!!!!! Caesar's head is too BIG!!! Or more to the point, this helmet is too small for the one figure that for all they were worth you would have thought they would be sure the helmet was able to be retrofitted to. If this were Gordon Ramsey talking about a head chef somewhere in the UK (or the British Coast of Spain), he would surely say that IGNITE had lost its passion for its business - after calming down from uttering a long stream of invective punctuated by numerous Brit' and Glaswegian swear words!!!!!

I mean for crying-out-loud PEOPLE. You issue an officer figure, one of Rome's and the world's greatest military geniuses EVER, with no helmet (a trophy Gallic chief's helmet doesn't count!!), and then you belatedly issue an officer's helmet he could wear, which is a real work of art in certain respects, and your benighted loyal customer base is unable to retrofit the friggin' thing to Caesar's feckin' head!!!!!!!! :sadshake

Somebody at IGNITE needs to be castrated!!!!!! :mad :sadpace

Here are too hasty snaps using my cell phone - apologies, I'll do it right later and retrofit this rant.

You can see the helmet and how it perches on Caesar's head. What bollox.

Oh, and did I mention that whatever rat or cat or dog they snared in the back ally to cut hair from its tail for the "horsehair crest," the damn thing must have had mange!!?????? Look at the one element of the otherwise excellent helmet (apart from being tooooo feckin' small!!) that is TRULY pathetic…. The "horsehair" in the box crest… Scheesh! :mad

:nerd

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Now put the gun down and take some deep breathes."
---- As I have already been chastised on another board :knock for my intemperate rant, let me add to the above before anything else... --------------------------

As I said; a QUICK commentary!!!! When I have time to take better pix, I will (or at least I hope I will) also have had time to consider "fixes" to some of the more glaring issues. E.G., I plan to post a pix or two with some of the head-sculpts it DOES work with; let other folks know what they can do in simple terms about it. I'd also already thought about paying a nearby hobby store a visit to see about some sort of rat- or rabbit-tail or bristle-stuff to replace the crest. I might also consider short fluffy (i.e. down) feathers, if I can find any --- usually, modern artistic drawings rendered from surviving stone monuments often interpret the crests on these as being very fluffy feathers vice horsehair... :rolleyes

I don't have a spare Caesar sculpt right now to give a [acetone] "bath" to [alleged elsewhere to shrink these heads down?], but I may try it... It sounds an interesting SHORT-term fix. What are the LONG-term repercussions for the figure from such a procedure?? Will he develop cancer (i.e. will the vinyl deteriorate more quickly and shred, or crumble, or what)? :fit

·
Registered
258 Posts
:grinroll You got the NEW one?
i haven't got it yet. By the way, IGNITE always change different Head on different items.
For the helmet and head problems, i think in the real world, different people will have different size of head and different size of helmet, RIGHT?
We can't be ask the BIG size of head to wear the SMALL size of helmet.
:ninja

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bluesparrow said:
I'll take the helmet if you don't want it! It resembles the helmet Maximus wears when he's a general in Gladiator.
Good one Centurion!!!! :lol

Been a rotten week, so I have not yet had time to take proper pix (vice what I had taken with my cell phone). I still feel that IGNITE really "mucked" this one up by making the helmet so small. When I have a chance to take better pix, you'll see that the fancy visor actually has a larger "virtual" diameter than the front of the helmet, so there is a gap between them of a few millimeters. Thus, in my opinion they could have made the helmet itself just that few mms "larger" ("frontal lobe" as it were), and this could have made it fit a few more sculpts better.

No, I don't want to get rid of it. Setting the "size" of the helmet aside for a moment, the only real thing that I dislike is that mangy rat-tail of a crest. When I get a second one I am going to take tools and take one apart (I am loathe to rip into one until I have a second in "reserve"). Once I have it deconstructed I will sort out a better crest for it.

BTW, I quite agree that it is exactly the sort of helmet that almost every senior officer has worn in any film representation from "Cabiria" (Italy, 1914), through "Scipio Africanus" (Italy, 1937) and "Spartacus" (USA, 1960), to "Gladiator" (USA, 2000). The Romanized Attic helmet was the archetypal officer's helmet in surviving 2000 year-old monumental representations we see in our museums today. It is exactly the sort of helmet worn by Christopher Plummer as "Commodus" and Stephen Boyd as "Lucius" in the military scenes in "The Fall of the Roman Empire" (1964). That is why I am so disappointed.

The size makes it so limited in its usefulness to us. I don't have a micrometer but this makes me tempted to go to Home Depot and GET one!! Without a doubt this is the smallest ancient helmet IGNITE has made yet. Placed on a scale from smallest (1) to largest (5 or greater), just using an unscientific sampling by trying to fit these to the same small select set of heads, they range as follows as I see it:

1) The Roman Attic officer's helmet...
2) The Roman Centurion's helmet*
3) The Roman Republican "Montefortino" helmet
4) The Greek "Corinthian" helmet

[* including the helmet without crest issued with the various legionary and standard bearer figures.]

I have not included the gladiator "Myrmillo" helmet in this list. TTBOMK the Roman army never sent troops out equipped with "gladiator" equipment** -- indeed the use of gladiators AS troops by the state was so rare as to basically amount to all but zero. Also, the face plate of the helmet limits the ability to fit it to certain sculpts that might otherwise wear it as its difficult to get the helmet onto the sculpt -- I know this as I have more than one and so have been able (and willing) to deconstruct one and see how big the "basin" of the helmet itself is.

[** This is excepting the use of the arm guards used on the right (sword) arm by the legionaries in the Dacian Wars.]

Well, anyway. Clearly the helmet WILL fit some sculpts. Its just its small size relative to all the other IGNITE ancient helmets really limits its utility. :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
abake said:
How odd that Ignite would make such a small helmet.
The Knights and one roman I have (battle scared legionary) all have huge helmets!
The "battle scared legionary" helmet is the same as my #2) The Roman Centurion's helmet* [* including the helmet without crest issued with the various legionary and standard bearer figures.]

My #3) The Roman Republican "Montefortino" helmet, and #4) The Greek "Corinthian" helmet, are both even larger than that by small/increasing increments. But obviously you take my point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Come In Nighthawk, thanks for the review.

I got the Attic helmet the other day, and am using it for a bash i'm doing of a Roman Legate (general). I've discarded the Ignite body and am using a DML body with an older looking headsculpt. I don't remember the name of the figure but he's bald with a grey fringe of hair around the sides, the helmet fits fine.

A couple of things you might consider to replace the ridiculous crest on your Attic helmet are using the feathers from the crest of Ignite's Centurion helmet, or colored "pipe cleaners", the large ones from a craft store, looks like the bushy type crest you see on statues or in old Roman movies. I'm using the muscle cuirass from Ignite's Myrmillo figure. The hard part will be the boots or calceus worn by the Senatorial class. I'm working on it though.

I'm almost done with my gladiators now that i have the "myrmillo" helmet. I'll post pictures of them and Legate soon.

Bill

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
majorl said:
Come In Nighthawk, thanks for the review.

I got the Attic helmet the other day... The hard part will be the boots or calceus worn by the Senatorial class. I'm working on it though.

I'm almost done with my gladiators now that i have the "myrmillo" helmet. I'll post pictures of them and Legate soon.

Bill
Had thought about feathers as I have some left from where I replaced the 2nd centurion's white version to make my "red" centurion, but hadn't thought about the "bushy" pipe cleaners... Thanks, I'll give that a "think!"

The "boots" have been plaguing me too (for a proper "Legate" I mean). Will look forward eagerly to see what you devise! Might steal your idea if I can replicate it! :thumb Looking forward to seeing your pix --- a deadline to work on an article for publication and a very pressing deadline for a chapter of my dissertation are keeping me from "playing" right now! :( :lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Come In Nighthawk,
For now i think i've solved the calceus problem. I've tried and rejected the various boots that come with Ignite's vikings and then found a pair of boots from DML's "Alexander the Great" figure. I cut about 1/2" off the top and filed off the molded laces. I painted them red , using acrylic paint and painted the soles black. I'm going to get some thin black leather laces and try to wrap them around the boots in the Roman fashion. Should work ok. One problem tho, the boots are narrow and i had to cut the heels off the figure to get them on

I forgot to mention that i'm using the white pteruges from Ignite's Caesar. I have two sets so am doing a double row over the "skirt" of the tunic. I cut the "leather" strips off the subarmalis and glued most of them to a strip of cloth, wrapped around the waist under the armor, much less bulky and they lay flat. Did the same to the ones on the shoulder also.

I plan to do General Gaius Suetonius Paulinus of Boudicca fame, 60 AD Britain.

Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also forgot to mention that i got some narrow red silk for a sash to go around the the waist of the curiass to denote general's rank.

I reshaped a black "pipecleaner" and added it to the attic helmet crest, actually looks pretty good.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts