One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Something I like to share.....

Have you ever regretted buying something from another company when a while later Hot Toys release their own (which is way better than the other company's)? Sad to say, I regretted very very much. For my case, it's Toy Soldier's SCARs and some previous items by the other companies. :O :sadshake :wail

Since HT's annoucement of their own SCARs, I almost cried. I had a little voice keep telling me "Wait for Hot Toys. Wait for Hot Toys" but I didn't listen then, so I hate myself for that. :sadshake

It's seems like whatever stuff that other companies churns out, Hot Toys can churn out even much better! And can you guys imagine the amount of spending money you saved if only you had waited for Hot Toys? I know now. I'm now a believer in Hot Toys. :angel
"Rewards comes to those who are Patient."
IT'S SO TRUE!! :lol

EDIT: I like to highlight to everyone that it's mainstream stuff that we should be talking about here. Like modern millitary stuff and popular movie lines. Sorry, for not stating this earlier.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I too am a big fan of Hot Toys, but I gotta say that there are a couple of benefits to having numerous companies. Primarily, I like to believe that multiple companies push one another to make better and more products. Second, if we did not have numerous companies, there would be a whole lot of bashes on here looking the same. This would certainly not make the hobby as exciting as it is for those of us who cannot custom craft weapons, and can do very little with a paint brush. Third, the price variations between the companies is helpful as well. Sometimes you are putting together a bash and need a little finishing touch. It is not the central part of your bash and only a little flash, and you dont want to buy the top of the line. This lets you look to those other companies for the piece you need.
Hot Toys is certainly at the pinnacle, and most of my top modern figure pieces are theirs, but we need as many companies as we can get and as much different equipment as we can get.

·
Bloodier than you HAHA!
529 Posts
Hot Toys is fantastic for existing items and licences (though the argument can easily be made that they're not the absolute best at everything), but what we need other companies for is ORIGINALITY. It can be said that HT has the current hold on the 1/6 military and movie license market, however, take the new World War Robot as an example: It's wildly original, well done, and not by HT.
I'm pretty sure a lot of us would get bored of 1/6 if there was only one company producing it.
Just my 2 cents

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
I think competition keeps a company, like Hot Toys, hungry. They have been steadily cranking out quality figures & gear no doubt, but is seems like they have stepped up their game even more since upstarts like A.C.E., Toy Soldier, and Soldiers Story have been putting out quality merchandise.

They're overall figures are superior hands down. But on a piece by piece basis, other companies produce better items. Take for example the boots that A.C.E., Toyrrific and Soldiers Story have out. They are far better than the vinyl ones HT have.

Hot Toys is a great company. I have a bunch of they're figures and individual items, but it would be bad if they were the only company on the market. Prices would be even higher, and what's worse is they might think they can dictate to the market rather than let us influence their decisions (i.e. see Dragon).

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I agree, Tatuuted1. We need as much companies to have a healthy variation to sustant our hobby. However, HT is really pushing the envelope.

Anyway, from now on I'll most likely be buying non-military stuff from other brands like ZC Girl or Triad Toys / Selected military stuff from the good ones like Saturday Toys-Playhouse, Soldier Story, Toyriffic and occasionally BBI**/ And strictly nudes only from Barrack Sergeant, ACE & Toy Soldier.

I apologise if I sound too opinionated, I just like to remind everybody that Hot Toys is the ultimate 1/6th brand and it would benefit the collector if he waits for them and not regret like I did if he didn't.

PS: **Why occasionally BBI? Because their own G36C didn't give me a very good impression. I hope Hot Toys will come out with a much better G36C soon.

EDIT: Of course, The World War Robot is fantastic but it's a very unique item which is more like designer stuff, not the mainstream stuff like military items. I'm talking about of mainstream stuff like military items used in modern combat.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The LOTR movies are my favorite of all time. I have 4 of the Sideshow 12" figs. Although they are pretty good I wish they were a little better. I don't have any of the POTC figs but they look damn good. I'm going to have a fit if Hot Toys would somehow acquire the license for LOTR and release figs that are as good as POTC.

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
I agree with the other posters in that competition is great and every company sometimes has unique offerings.

But the big reason I'd disagree with you is that what's "best" is highly subjective. I know that you'd find plenty of folks here who'd rather have several 21C or SOTW boxed sets over one HT set.

HT is indeed awesome but I don't want them to be my only choice.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
If you're going to eat tomorrow,why eat today?

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree with the other posters in that competition is great and every company sometimes has unique offerings.

But the big reason I'd disagree with you is that what's "best" is highly subjective. I know that you'd find plenty of folks here who'd rather have several 21C or SOTW boxed sets over one HT set.

HT is indeed awesome but I don't want them to be my only choice.
Yes, it's your choice and I respect that. But I've changed my mind since I had some bad cases with other brands (namely the one that starts with a 'T' and ends with an 'r'.)

If you're going to eat tomorrow,why eat today?
:rolling
Haha....I think I know what you mean, but food are food, toys are toys. And toys do not feed our stomachs. :lol ;)

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Hot Toys is good. no doubt especially BUT. Alot of their stuff is far from top notch, especially when it comes to Camoflage Printing, just look at their ABUs, their ACUs and MARPAT? Toy Soldier and Dragon are much better in that department. Hot Toys Weapons used to be really oversized, which has gotten better, but Dragon and BBI M4s are imho still much more spot on scalewise. Or what about their Combat Boots? Compare the Molded HT Boots to a pair of ACE Cloth Boots, they are world apart.
Im not trying to bash HT i like alot of their stuff and would consider myself a Fan of HT BUT Toy Soldier and ACE (Soldier Story, i cant really say since i dont have anything from them except for 2 M249ers) are really good at what they do, ACE's Weapons are great, the only thing TS is lacking are really good weapons.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hot Toys doesn't makes everything. We still need modern brits, canadians, Israelis, russians, australians, NAM and Cold War era gear.
Exactly, for the modern US collectors/bashers they do cover a very wide range of kit at high quality, but there is a huge gap in the market for what Ronaldo75 mentioned. Even still i cant see them changing what they produce because they are so good at their era much like twising toys prefers to produce WW2 Italians because it's what they are interested in and know most about....which is why we need other companys to fill the gap.

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've some of Hot Toys cloth boots and they great too. Only thing is Hot Toys usually make them come with exclusives (like the Wesley Snipes MEF figure HK exclusive) so it's so rare that most of time they seem non-existant.

And I heard HT haven't had very nice camoflage prints. But their size and fittings are great to me. But anyway, I bash mostly mercenaries in civil gear so it didn't really bother me much to notice I guess. ***So dear Hot Toys, if you're listening.... Please improve in this department. ;)

While their weapons scale is alright to me, but this is highly debatable so I do not wish to comment further on this so I'll leave to anyone.

You've brought some good points, Palaboon. Thanks! :)

Hot Toys is good. no doubt especially BUT. Alot of their stuff is far from top notch, especially when it comes to Camoflage Printing, just look at their ABUs, their ACUs and MARPAT? Toy Soldier and Dragon are much better in that department. Hot Toys Weapons used to be really oversized, which has gotten better, but Dragon and BBI M4s are imho still much more spot on scalewise. Or what about their Combat Boots? Compare the Molded HT Boots to a pair of ACE Cloth Boots, they are world apart.
Im not trying to bash HT i like alot of their stuff and would consider myself a Fan of HT BUT Toy Soldier and ACE (Soldier Story, i cant really say since i dont have anything from them except for 2 M249ers) are really good at what they do, ACE's Weapons are great, the only thing TS is lacking are really good weapons.

·
Hellsing Org. Mercenary
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But they make almost all the great weapons like the EBR, Socom M14s, SCAR, HK416s/417s, AKMs, etc (in random order). Only weapon that I've been waiting for ages for them to make are the G36 family. Since my regretful incident, I shall wait for only HT to come out with the best weapons. :angel

But ronaldo75 is right.... the problem is HT DOES NOT make everything, in fact it makes mainly US Spec Ops Forces... :razz but can't blame them though... think their GIGN didn't sell too well... :p

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
I know about the Exclusive Cloth Boots, but since it was a one time thing and they looked very similar to ACE's offering i leave it to speculation if they were really a hot toys product and not something HT bought from another company as a Gimmick for their Figure.
As i said about the weapons, they improved alot scalewise but there is still room to get better, same with the Camoprints.
They definetly have one of the best bodies and heads out there, no question there.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.