One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And he commented how much it has changed.

And how many people post their work,and how many don't.Alot of the members have moved on from this place it seems.Not many people post their work as before..

He had different opinions on what it could be..

A lack of product on the modern front from Dragon and BBi and the prices that they had sold at was one of the major ones...But the stuff out now is selling pretty well it seems,so who is buying it?And what are they doing with it?

I post my work pretty regularly,as do a few others,but not like before...

Remember Fujicco,Crisibabe,EagleMP....and there are alot of others that have just stopped.Now I know there are more,but those are some of the notable.I also know that 1/1 plays a factor,so there's part of it.

It just seems the lurkers have taken over the largest 1/6 board in the world...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Post as in Pics? or bashes?.....I wish I had everyday to be able to go out and snap some photo's to post on the board. The people who do show their work...we here at the OSW board really enjoy viewing your work so keep them coming!

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bashes is what I was referring to.

·
Devils and Dust
2,040 Posts
I dunno. Seems to me the opposite. I see many new "faces" posting their work, and the daily threads with new bashes cycling through so quick it is hard to keep up with sometimes.

Granted, some of the names you mentioned haven't shown their faces lately, but I don't think it indicates a lesser 1/6 base. Just like real life, sometimes old familiars kinda fade to the periphery of our daily grind.

To me, all the "how do I , where do I " type posts and questions , while aggrevating sometimes to one who has been in the hobby for years, indicates the influx of new peeps into our niche.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
I was here for quite a long time (as evidenced by over 1,600 posts). But I stopped coming around when I started getting exclusively into WWII. While OSW welcomes all work, the enthusiasm and information here for WWII is not what it is elsewhere. Now that I have moved into the Vietnam arena, I am back and will probably post some bashes when they reach a level where I am somewhat satisfied.

I think most forums have a certain personality that encourages certain types of hobbyists to be more active. Although OSW's admins and regulars have created a great community, it is really hard to be all things to all genres of the hobby.

Just relating my own experience as it relates to the topic.

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
I haven't posted any bashes because I haven't bashed anything in like 5-6 months, and my pics SUCK.....LOL!

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
There are those members where you always think: "what ever happened to.......?"

Some people get into this hobby for a short time-- and kick ass-- but it's not their only creative outlet, so they disappear for long periods of time, busy with other things.

But, there are new members joining every day. The boards are probably more full with bashes than ever. The only difference from the days that you're talking about Aaron is that they are also more diverse than ever.

Like me, you're a modern military basher-- so that's what you like to mostly look at. True, the modern playing field has dropped off quite a bit, but there are many other amazing works in other areas that I see here on a daily basis.

As for the members, I guess some just.... get over the hobby. One day they say "I'm done."

I've collected and bought things my whole life. Everything from GI Joe to Transformers to He-Man to LEGOS to Thundercats and, well-- trust me-- EVERYTHING.

Right now, I'm collecting GI Joe again. A few years ago, I spent thousands of dollars buying old 80's Transformers. Before that, I was doing the same with Mego stuff.

It all comes and goes, comes and goes. Everything but 1/6.

And, if I didn't bash my own stuff-- if I didn't paint and weather and make my own figures-- I might have grown bored with buying stuff, opening it and just sticking it on a shelf. I know I get bored with everything else. So, I can see why, to some, this can just be a passing hobby.

But for me-- and many, many others-- it's here to stay.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The various replies here pretty much cover the subject. Many of us find ourselves wondering where guys are sometimes. At the same time, we interact with long-standing members, new guys, and guys returning after long periods gone. RL does effect members, sometimes it's the individual, other times those others or the events around them.

OSW used to be alledged to be Modern-driven, and indeed there was a lot of that. It's also been open to most every other period and subject. There are specific boards that cover their chosen area with more ready detail, but it's not too hard to get answers or sources here about most areas.
December was a busy month, and Kitbash of the Month nominations numbered eight total. Of those, half are WW2 (I'm counting Cap, tho some would say he's sci-fi/fantasy). The other four are modern.
KotM is by no means an absolute gauge of how things are here, however. Nominators do so for their own reasons, as do those who vote in the polls. They represent an active, and yet fairly small percent of the member body. Everyone at OSW has their motivation for being here.

The basic ideas that took form as OSW remain, but change is part of existance. It's a bit fancier-looking, has more advertising than I care for, but the core remains: a good place for individuals to show up, share information and enjoyment of the hobby, and not have to experience constant bouts of conflict.
From the simplest figure to the grandest construction, it's all part of onesix and OSW. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

·
Running from explosions
2,315 Posts
I am along the lines of what GrenadierStinny said, with switching back and forth between 1/6, GIJoe, videogames, and of course work and kid. I at least try to skim over the new posts when I am busiest, and be more active when I am not. I admit I haven't posted a bash yet and I am intimidated somewhat by the work I see here, but it is always an inspiration and a honor to come here.

On the note of members leaving here, weren't we at 8,000+ members over the summer and I see now that we are at 6,500+. What happened? I could see people not posting, but deleting their accounts?

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Grunt1162 said:
On the note of members leaving here, weren't we at 8,000+ members over the summer and I see now that we are at 6,500+. What happened? I could see people not posting, but deleting their accounts?
We cleared away many abandoned or unused accounts. House cleaning needs be done every now and again.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Hardcase01 said:
People come, People go.

Clay
Why do I have the song "Dust in the Wind" going through my head now....

·
Alba Supporter! (Staff)
2,555 Posts
You should see Clay's backyard from all the "house cleaning" he does. It looks like a lot full of dirt speed bumps

·
Super Moderator
9,154 Posts
Also for the most part, a variation of the 80/20 rule applies here as with nearly ALL online communities... where the most active 20% of members account for 80% of the activity.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I echo what Grunt1162 said. My stuff pales in comparison to what I see posted here, so until I get a bash just right, (to my specifications) I won't post it.

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
I visit the OSW many times a day and have stuck with the hobby for about ten years now. I love the info provided, the ideas passed around, and knowing that many others share my interest(s).

The two BIG reasons I do not post more of my work are:

1. My camera skills really suck and my pics are usually pretty crappy.
2. My bashing skills are not great. I have to work really hard just to pose a freakin' figure.

Compared to others, my work is sub-par.

One interesting phenomenon--or trend, maybe--over the past few years, is the "scale model" type treatment of the 1/6 hobby. It used to be that just bashing was cool, but now the real work that stands out is weathered, dremeled, painted, modified with a chopped up body and has some custom, "homemade" work on it. Just yesterday I saw a really cool bash and everyone replied that it looked great but should be "dirtied up." I thought it looked awesome as is.

I have always thought that most bashers who create those awesome materpieces are or were really good plastic scale model builders and/or had a general or specific artistic talent.

As silly as it sounds, I feel almost intimidated and embarrassed to show off my meager skills. I am working on my camera and bashing skills, however, always trying to get it right.

So, in a nutshell, I am certain this is a lifetime hobby. However, even though I love this place and my fellow hobbyists, I mostly contribute opinions and ideas with only an occasional bash posted because I am severely camera and bash-challenged but I welcome and enjoy the fantastic work I see here everyday.

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
Longhorn92 said:
So, in a nutshell, I am certain this is a lifetime hobby. However, even though I love this place and my fellow hobbyists, I mostly contribute opinions and ideas with only an occasional bash posted because I am severely camera and bash-challenged but I welcome and enjoy the fantastic work I see here everyday.
Ditto! Your post sums up quite nicely my situation as well Longhorn, so don't mind that I borrow it! :lol

·
S o u l
150 Posts
No time.....

I don't have time....I have an intensive job.I'm NEW and only posted 3 photos here, and that'll probably be it. I have only the weekends(if I'm lucky) to sculpt or paint(mostly paint)that's not a lot of time to do anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts