One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... First off I want to state that if anyone is coming in to just say "Vista Sucks go back to (Enter Windows OS or other OS)" then bugger off because i need help... I don't need douche bags.

Okay so I've had a PC with Windows Vista Premium since May... and Everything has been fine! I was able to stream music and vids to my Xbox 360 and all was awesome. Now however... For the past month and a half... Apparently at this moment I'm not truly online. My computer thinks that there is not internet connection. On my task bar it shows that it is not online. A little picture of two computers with a Red X. Now I can't stream to my 360.. I can't attempt to set up my sharing without my WMP Saying F you!! .. sooo... help? I use FireFox 2.whatever for my browser.. someone said that may be the problem but... I don't believe them. Either way.. help!

·
Spiritual Advisor
236 Posts
More data needed: What kind of net link do you have? Router, modem? Are the cables properly set? Is the network hard receiving power?

... and no, I promise I won't tell you what a happy couple my Kubuntu and me are... :-D

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep your kubuntu to yourself... and I have no clue what your talking about. My internet is not wireless... Hard line from a SysLink Router. Network Hard? Erm... Que?

Also when I highlight the Network Icon it says:

Connection Status: Unknown

Server execution failed

·
Spiritual Advisor
236 Posts
Try talking to the router.

Open the network connections by right-clicking the two computers little picture / selecting the net interface / Properties / TCPIP settings, and find the IP address of the router (under Preferred Gateway, or something like that). While you're at it, check that the interface is not disabled (you won't believe how many times I've seen that!); if this is the case, reenable it (right-click, enable) and skip the rest of the post.

Open Firefox (won't even mention IE) and write the router's ip address at the address box - and then check the status of the line (I think that in LinkSys routers is filed under the WAN folder) to see if the router does see the 'net (you'll need the administrator sername and password that came with your router - with LinkSys it's usually "admin" and "12345"). If you can't reach the router (you don't even see the user/password screen), then the problem is probably the RJ cable (or, God forbid, that the router is not plugged in - are the lights on?). If you can, and the router doesn't see the WAN, then drop a call to your ISP's help desk to check if there's a problem with the line or your account, and ask for help reconfiguring your connection.

(breath)

If you can reach the router, the WAN connection is OK, your ISP swears that your account has no problems, and you still can't see the 'net, try remembering if you've installed some new software lately - a virus / malware check would be in order.

Another thing you can try is to disable the Firewall - go to Control Panel / Classic / Administrative Tools / Services / Firewall and stop it by (you'll have guessed) right-clicking on the service name and selecting Stop.

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright cool.. i'll try that.

On a side note the Firewall is disabled... and as far as new programs go that's a negative... however my Norton Security did expire a couple weeks before it started to happen.. could be coincidence though.

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tried it... still have no internet.

EDIT

Okay so my Network Indicator is still saying "What's a Network?" But my Xbox 360 now picks up my PC... However it picked it up after I unhooked it from my Belkin wireless Router. :banana No help is needed now.

·
Lurker .... or somefin
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hollowpoint said:
If that is the case, try resetting the router.
Actually i'm just going to **** can the router. I don't really need it. We have two wireless routers in the house... one hooked up to the hardline... with a line running from it to the back of my PC. Then I have the one from when I lived out of the house... so. I only really need one of the two in there. Only had the Belkin hooked up because I could.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.