One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello every one.
I need help finding historically correct 1/6 leather Civil War Brogans for my Confederate soldiers, what they have been wearing for the past few year are leather brogans from BattleGearToys.
The brogans they make are good BUT they are done wrong, they have the rough side of the leather on the inside of the shoe, when the rough side of the leather should be on the outside of the shoe, smooth side on the inside, I know this because I am a Civil War Reenactor, anyway I have looked online for years for someone or company that makes the correct shoe with no luck.
Does anyone know of a company or know of a person who sells/makes 1/6 leather shoes or could make the shoes I need for me?
Footwear Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey
Brown Shoe Beige Fashion design Font
Footwear Shoe Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey
Brown Shoe Beige Fashion design Font

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FunGuy , but no, same as Battlegeartoys brogans, rough leather on the inside, smooth on the outside.
Maybe I will have to find someone that makes 1/6th scale leather shoes and get them to make them, IDK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello every one.
I need help finding historically correct 1/6 leather Civil War Brogans for my Confederate soldiers, what they have been wearing for the past few year are leather brogans from BattleGearToys.
The brogans they make are good BUT they are done wrong, they have the rough side of the leather on the inside of the shoe, when the rough side of the leather should be on the outside of the shoe, smooth side on the inside, I know this because I am a Civil War Reenactor, anyway I have looked online for years for someone or company that makes the correct shoe with no luck.
Does anyone know of a company or know of a person who sells/makes 1/6 leather shoes or could make the shoes I need for me? View attachment 492895 View attachment 492896 View attachment 492895 View attachment 492896
Our Brogans are based on historical photos and actual museum pieces. In the photos it's very clearly shown that there is an obvious sheen of varying degrees. Leather boots/shoes that are made with the leather rough out and worn constantly, day after day in all kinds of weather quickly results in them becoming quite smooth. To say ours are historically incorrect is not quite accurate. Our brogans can be roughed up with sand paper and dyed to give a different appearance.
Auggie BattleGear Toys

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks FunGuy , but no, same as Battlegeartoys brogans, rough leather on the inside, smooth on the outside.
Maybe I will have to find someone that makes 1/6th scale leather shoes and get them to make them, IDK
There was a boot and shoe making tutorial on here at one point. I can try and look for it, if you want?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Augieromero, but I as a Civil War Reenactor I will have to disagree with you on the BattleGearToys Civil War Brogans, don't get me wrong they are made great, look great, but are not like the brogans that me and other civil war reenactors wear which are based on museum pieces also, everything we wear, and carry is based on museum pieces
When I say that they are historically incorrect I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean they are not made like my brogans smooth side in, rough side out, BGT brogans are rough side in, smooth side out.
Another reason for the smooth side of the leather being inside the shoe, is that it helps to get them on easy.
Again, don't get me wrong, not making fun of your company, or your products, but as a Civil War Reenactor and Living Historian and others like me, we know our stuff.
There are others like me that are reenactors that buy your civil war items, and most of what we get we have to alter to make historically correct for our figures.
You say your items are historically correct, but where are the two pockets for your civil war trousers?, why no inside pocket on your great coats? I could go on and on but I will not do that here.

See Fall Creek Suttlery.com or Blockaderunner.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
The first one is the tutorial and second one is something that I thought might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You can also sand the leather to get a rougher surface on existing footwear.
As for Battlegear, no, most of their items would not pass muster for a lot of reenactors if they were 1:1 scale. What you have to consider is that without Battlegear, we would have just about NOTHING to even modify. And they produce hundreds of items for different countries and eras. I've watched Auggie upgrade many of his items over the years as he is able. Examples are - CW sack coats were originally closed with snaps, and now they actually button, and a whole new line of Winchesters to make them more realistic. People who want perfect items simply could not afford them if they were produced to specs - it's just not feasible. This is a business and if it doesn't make money, it won't exist and minute and expensive details are often the first to go. And when you get right down to it, these are toys. You can't expect details like inside pockets on an item that is affordable. And who else has even made a greatcoat that looks like wool? NO ONE. And when reenactors or 1:6 hobbyists can't find what they want, they develop the skills to make them or pay outrageous prices to people willing and able to make customs. Those are the realities of this HOBBY.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had luck making my own using Tony Barton’s tutorial on shoe making. And you can use glue if you’re not too good with a needle.

I’ve bought a lot of things from BGT and I absolutely love them. For me it’s just a money thing. I’d rather spend that money on a uniform from them, then spend it on something I can make at home. I can make shoes, but uniforms, hats and guns is a whole other ball game.

·
Sir Lurksalot
673 Posts
There are also scale limitations to consider. I would imagine that if BGT did their brogans with the rough side out, how big and chunky looking would that rough out be? And how many would be complaing about that? It sounds like just lightly sanding BGTs brogans would give you the look you want, so just grab an emery board and scuff them up to your standards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I will try making my own, need to find a company that sell thin black leather, one side smooth, one side rough, don't what to use for the soul and heel, or type of glue for that matter.
I`m pretty good at hand sewing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can also sand the leather to get a rougher surface on existing footwear.
As for Battlegear, no, most of their items would not pass muster for a lot of reenactors if they were 1:1 scale. What you have to consider is that without Battlegear, we would have just about NOTHING to even modify. And they produce hundreds of items for different countries and eras. I've watched Auggie upgrade many of his items over the years as he is able. Examples are - CW sack coats were originally closed with snaps, and now they actually button, and a whole new line of Winchesters to make them more realistic. People who want perfect items simply could not afford them if they were produced to specs - it's just not feasible. This is a business and if it doesn't make money, it won't exist and minute and expensive details are often the first to go. And when you get right down to it, these are toys. You can't expect details like inside pockets on an item that is affordable. And who else has even made a greatcoat that looks like wool? NO ONE. And when reenactors or 1:6 hobbyists can't find what they want, they develop the skills to make them or pay outrageous prices to people willing and able to make customs. Those are the realities of this HOBBY.
Markh166....I once made and sold a few ,1/6 scale civil war bowie knives, and some CSA short artillery swords, on ebay, never over charged, bowies mostly $20-25, artillery swords $27, small knives $6, may seem silly, but I never charged by the hour, I charged on how aggravating each one was to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve had luck making my own using Tony Barton’s tutorial on shoe making. And you can use glue if you’re not too good with a needle.

I’ve bought a lot of things from BGT and I absolutely love them. For me it’s just a money thing. I’d rather spend that money on a uniform from them, then spend it on something I can make at home. I can make shoes, but uniforms, hats and guns is a whole other ball game.
I have made 1/6th scale US Civil War shovel out of aluminum and on CS 1/6 shovel out of aluminum and one period steel ax with ash handle, and made 2 hats, I just made a 1/6th scale hat mold just like an antique one, used a mix of water and glue, coat it real good both sides, put it in the mold and let sit in the sun outside till dry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Markh166....I once made and sold a few ,1/6 scale civil war bowie knives, and some CSA short artillery swords, on ebay, never over charged, bowies mostly $20-25, artillery swords $27, small knives $6, may seem silly, but I never charged by the hour, I charged on how aggravating each one was to make.
I’m also working on some confederate Bowie knives. So far I’ve mad a lot of bad ones haha. Yours look great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m also working on some confederate Bowie knives. So far I’ve mad a lot of bad ones haha. Yours look great!
If you need any advice or help in making your Confederate D-guard bowie knives, I will be glad to help, just ask.
All my knives I are from period photos of knives I find online, and from pics of knives on ebay, and pics of knives on online auctions

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts