One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently with Brit-Crazy and picked up a bunch of Dragons modern Brits...Mel, the Sniper, and the standard trooper with the camo-covered modern brit helmet.

However, I didn't care for the look of Aaron (I think thats his name) his camo-colored bodyarmor makes him look awfully underequipped.

I wound up giving him a spare SAS Vest I had from one of Dragons SAS sets. Its a snug fit over that somewhat puffy body-armor and I'm curious, would that even happen in the field? I'm not sure whats appropriate there.

Oh yes, and one last incredibly dumb question that has bothered me since the first modern Brit I purchased many a year ago: Where the hell do the Brit canteens go....did Dragon give us a ton of canteens and no canteen carriers? Do these things magically attach somehow, perhaps by sheer force of will, do modern Brit webbing?

·
Registered
632 Posts
the modern British canteen carrier is a largish rectangular pouch on the back of the web belt. Most soldiers have two. The few british figures I have came with them.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
In lieu of the assault vest, you could equip Aaron with Personal Load Bearing Equipment, PLCE from a combination of DML Evan and Colin's webgear, or BBi's version from their Allen figure, or Armoury's version from their accessory carded sets.

The vest probably could be used, but you know how items and cloth items at our scale work. Big and poofy items or the fitting often throw things off.
You can remove the foam pads from the body armour's plate pouches if you want, it'll thin it down a bit. I thought of removing the stuffing from inside the sewn vest panels as well but never got around to it.

As Bull noted you can pouch it using the big ones that come on DML's Colin figure. I don't remember if they made other pouches at a suitable size. I weaved it through the belt a few times using the silver metal handle parts, but I't turned out top-heavy and probably wasn't right.

Or, you could make an Osprey BA like Lucas and the other fellow and just add molle pouches in Brit Arid DPM. :p

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bull, Saiko..........all wonderful ideas, I'm going to give this some thought. I kinda like the body armor, as its unique, but I agree with you Saiko, it really needs to be brought down a few mm to make it look right.

Bull, I dont know if its in your power or not, but of all the DML brits I've ever bought, I have never once seen a canteen pouch.....maybe I'm using it for something else but every set that comes with that black canteen.....I never find a holder for it :p

·
Unkempt
403 Posts
Have a read of this on Wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Load_Carrying_Equipment

It'll tell you how the PLCE goes together (follow the links on Wiki too for more info). Armoury did a set in one of their temperate uniform carded sets, and BBI did a set with Allen. DML's Roger comes with the belt and ammo pouches, together with a utility pouch (put the canteen in there), and the bergan side pouches used as a daysack (the yoke is the daysack yoke and NOT a PLCE yoke). DML's OP Telic figures, Mel, AAron and Evan all come with the ammo pouches and a utility pouch, but no yoke. If you have a look here for the components of the PLCE:
www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr457.html You'll notice that the waterbottle pouch is virtually identical to the utility pouch.
DML's Colin came with a set of fictional pouches on a '58 pattern belt, none of which are suitable for an accurate modern British 'bash.

Edit: Here's a couple of pics of a set I made from DML and BBI parts a few years ago.

Hope that helps!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The design of the Brit utility pouch can confuse those of us who are used to canteens having a pouch that's shaped like the canteen itself.

MisterscruffUK, is this the fictional rig you describe?

Given the available issue pouches, I dunno why it'd be necessary, but could the Colin pouches be private purchase, or "rigger" types?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok I did use those pouches correctly then......that looks like Colin's rig in that last photo above, I think, I'll read up on some of the modern LBE setups on that Wikipedia page.

Thanks all for the input!.

PS: Do the brits "kneepad up" the way our boys are doing now? :)

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Just search out all of John(One Bravo four) and Al's(All Mighty one) British posts.They are pretty much responsible for 99 percent of the Brit bashes on the OSW.

·
Unkempt
403 Posts
pukingdog said:
The design of the Brit utility pouch can confuse those of us who are used to canteens having a pouch that's shaped like the canteen itself.

MisterscruffUK, is this the fictional rig you describe?

Given the available issue pouches, I dunno why it'd be necessary, but could the Colin pouches be private purchase, or "rigger" types?
Yea that's the one. None of those conform to regular issue equipment that I'm aware of, thought I think some SAS units in the 1991 Gulf War used custom made pouches. They look more like an ill researched set of '58 pattern pouches, though the the '58 set never came in DPM. There are a couple of people on OSS who would know for sure.

You're right about the waterbottle pouch; it's not shaped like the waterbottle at all and is certainly very different to the US pouches.

·
WIP Basher =0)
4,802 Posts
DML, Armoury, BBI, Hot Toys, Custom Craft are good sources for parts
but now a days it is getting harder to get parts
so you have to be creative when bashing Brits
always remember to have fun and let your ideas flow :)
here's a few of my bashes to get u in that bashing idea mood

vest
DML SAS Evan, carded set version with minor custom change

DML Mel's vest

Hot Toys vest

chest rig
Armoury first version

Hot Toys

BBI

Armoury first version with fastex added

DML Colin's rig

Armoury second version

and various PLCE set ups that i use
BBI yoke with DML Aaron utility pouches used for canteen pouches, and large DML Colin pouch for utility pouch

molded BBI Brit canteen pouches, DML Roger's yoke customed for harness

Armoury PLCE version with DML Aaron web belt

and my Osprey wip

the Archives is full of Brit bashes from many outstanding OSW members like One Bravo Four, lucas, MisterscruffUK, Broadsword, Bravo_2_Zero, Cpl Ho, and many others in all eras so make sure to check them out ;)

another post about Brits from various members
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72390&highlight=British

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow...just..

Wow...seriously, you guys are great, thanks for all the great ideas. When I get my guys squared away I'll snap some pics and hopefully add to this thread.

Tiger, did you weather those with chalk or with paint? I haven't "weathered" anything since drybrushing back in my 21st days....I'd love to take the time to do stuff like that, makes them look "fresh from the field" :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts