One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
A bash is a finished WIP(work in progress)

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
Are you referring to me? Just joking :)

A bash is supposed to be one that is ready for the display space in the shelf and a Work In Progress is supposed to be one that is still on the work desk..

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
It seems that the term has evolved a little since I got into the hobby 6 years ago.

Back then, the term "bash" ( short for "kit bash" or "kit bashing") meant that the item in question was made using stock parts - you took stock figure "kit" from multiple figures and "bashed" those parts into a non-stock figure. It could also be a WIP (work in progress) if you were waiting for some parts. Some included head sculpt (HS) repainting in this category, others did not.

There was another term "custom" that was used to signify that parts on the item have been scratch made - custom built. It could also have signified that you modified parts or both. Many may argue over percentages of custom work before something moved from a "bash" to a "custom". Some may say that simply modifications of one or two items doesn't make it a "custom".

It seems that now "bash" means both a "kit bash" and/or a "custom" piece. I think this is unfortunate. I prefer the more "traditional" usage. When someone said "kit bash" or "bash" you did not expect to see scratch built items. When "custom" was used you did expect to see such items.

The more tradition sense is how I use the words. I still think it's important to make a distinction between "bash" and "custom".

Peace out!

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
The more tradition sense is how I use the words. I still think it's important to make a distinction between "bash" and "custom".
I think the two are difficult to reconcile. Some work is a combination of stock and custom parts. There are few few completely custom, completed figures. So I think that adds to the "misuse."

But words and terms evolve over time... good or bad, its the way language works. And as I am fond of saying, "Its all semantics."

;)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Often WIP ends up meaning Wildly outta control Insane Project....

.....my hobby area is full of WIPs, a.k.a. stuff that may or may not ever be completed. In wargaming, there's a similar situ, the "great white armies".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.