One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I rool da puny Kalifonian
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow collectors and bashers, I have been away for a very long time due to circumstances I will explain in time. It's good to be back again. I will have a poke around and generally make my presence known, in a non-irritating way of course. I'm surprised my login still works and the fact I even remebered my password is astonishing in itself Just like I never left.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Nice to see people return. Sadly the forum has been through a bunch of troubles. Many of the old names and faces are no longer around, or can't access the site anymore. A shame. I'll be honest, this is as close as I've ever seen OSW come to... well...

Good to have you back!

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a real pity.What sort of "troubles" may I ask? Thing is, in cyberspace, if people stop posting, you just don't know what happened. Glad to be back. OSW was my first and favourite forum. Is pukingdog still posting?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Nice to see people return. Sadly the forum has been through a bunch of troubles. Many of the old names and faces are no longer around, or can't access the site anymore. A shame. I'll be honest, this is as close as I've ever seen OSW come to... well...

Good to have you back!
Totally agree. It's a shadow of what it once was.:(

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Welcome back brother. It's good to see you here again.

·
Feel Good User Title
215 Posts
ive been lurking this site for years, always watched with much pleasure, the kitbashes, new products etc. but the forum seems to be dead....or am i looking at the wrong place?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Why? Has social media platforms hurt this forum?
Social media has a part in it. New owners took over and didn't do anything about some glitches happening here. All passwords were lost. Try to contact the owners and they never got back. Reset your password and it would work until you signed off. Try to sign on again with password and it didn't recognize it. People were having problems posting images. A lot of members have left. Just look at the main page. Hardly anyone posts images anymore. Prett6 sure most of the original site staff has left.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
That's a real pity.What sort of "troubles" may I ask? Thing is, in cyberspace, if people stop posting, you just don't know what happened. Glad to be back. OSW was my first and favourite forum. Is pukingdog still posting?
PD is gone. He's one of the guys that left because of the forum issues. He can be found on FB though. You can PM me for his info there if you want.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,958 Posts
Welcome back. A few of us keep the fires lit, but yes, OSW is a shadow of what it was. It's not just OSW though, most of the other forums have seen a drop in activity, and a few have just appeared to have stopped all together.

As mentioned above, the new owners have neglected the site, and have little concern over members accessing the site, and user support. Even more glitchy than it once was, and complete areas have been shut down or are not accessable. And with the closing of some of the "darker corners" of the site, a number of members have left too. Those areas were a bit controversial to begin with, but still brought folks in. Many of them have just left because they can't use those areas.

Different social media platforms have also stolen members away. Ease of use, fewer password issues. Ease of posting pictures. Larger captive audiences, or ways to show off you stuff. The easier it is to use, the more likely it is to get used. And OSW hasn't seen those kinds of updates to keep it's users.

Costs of figures now have driven a lot of people out of the hobby too. Gone are the days of $50 figures, now its $50 rifles. Full figures average $150USD now at a start. Then if you go into movie licensed figures, well that's a new dimension of expensive.

Even changes in personal habits and situations are drivers right now. I used to be able to get on 3 or 4 times a week. I am lucky if I can get on site once a week due to schedules and other factors right now.

That being said, it's still a place to come and participate, even if those folks are fewer in number. A lot of the folks that lurked, still lurk, but a bunch of the active members don't get in. Folks are watching and reading, but not as many are posting. That's a big thing too. It was always an issue, more watchers than posters. Less people posting makes it appear like less is going on, but there is still a fair amount of people coming in and looking around. As an example, I posted a rifle review a few weeks back, and there were a few hundred views, but no comments. The traffic is there, but not the participation. And each to their own in that regard.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a bummer. Well this was my first forum and has always been my favorite. I'm not going anyplace.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Welcome back knuckles1970!

Times have changed... between people losing interest, or being priced out of the hobby, I’ve always found that “life intrudes”. While in the past OSW had a fair contingent of people that seemed to be able to start threads, post, and reply seemingly non-stop over the course of a day (DFC springs to mind), most of us muddle thru the day dealing with real lifes hopes, joys, and aggravations, before spending a little quality time catching up on online passtimes.

I try to come on every few days or so, send birthday wishes and check out whatever catches my eye, but it’s gotten harder lately. There is a LOT of stuff to ogle online! However, tastes also change. Modern military is so much differently equipped then when I was in, that there’s not the connection that there might be. Everything is so much more expensive, that honestly, I can’t justify spending money on it anymore.

There’s my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
You look familiar.

Who are you again?

;)

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
I am by no means an expert or have any credibility to comment and reflect upon the trials and tribulations experienced here during the past two to three years.

Then again . . . lack of expertise and credibility never stopped anyone from posting.

SO . . .

The OSW right, wrong, and indifferent eventually or is it inevitably was affected by social media and all the ramifications that some feared and warned about.

The fallout was felt by all and its consequences/ramifications are still being felt.

Many long time and respected members simply left/moved on.

Niches and splinter cells formed and carry on through social media channels and elsewhere.

The powers that be have changed as well.

SO . . .

What's the good news you may ask (or some may wonder)?

The OSW is still here. Battle scarred significantly, heavily damaged, a shell of its former glory and respect. A few old timers are around somewhere. I suspect it's mostly the enlisted staff with some NCOs and some new recruits. Many are AWOL and MIA depending on the perspective. We don't discuss about the upper echelon much for a number of reasons. Me? I'm just a cook in the galley. Don't ask for extra shrimp with your shrimp fried rice. Or is it shrimp flied lice? I can't remember.

With that said . . . welcome back . . . for what it's worth.

When you start perusing through how much loose parts cost nowadays . . . including the crappy stuff from way back when . . . you'll probably say to yourself . . . "WTF?!"

Welcome to the new 1:6 reality.

Why the <CENSORED> am I still here? I don't know. Probably because I'm the only <CENSORED> who'll take the time to post something like this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts