One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HT (Update in bold), TS, ACE, MiL (by cdn rhino) & Dr. F (NEW by STALL STUFF) SCARs

HT SCAR 9/10

TS SCAR 8/10
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/IMG_0416.JPG
ACE SCAR 8/10
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/IMG_0417.JPG

Side by side comparison between TS and ACE
AB http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/medium/IMG_0419.JPG
CD http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/medium/IMG_0418.JPG

Wow again! T. R. (STALL STUFF) has written a very detail report on the Dr. Figure SCARs. You can read this at post 15 at the bottom of this post. Thanks again T. R.:thumb

Wow, cdn rhino did a very good review of the weapons. Nice work Michael!
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82188&highlight=SCAR+comparison

HT SCAR
Moving Bits
- grippod, extending stocks, cheek pads that pivot, removable mags, folding stocks, folding forward sights and folding rear Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS). The folding stock: HT does fold parallel to the receiver. The stocks are sturdy at the hinge and folded right along side the receiver.
Extending Stock Seems to be well built. Rugged and sturdy. Now as far as the folding piece goes, it "snaps" into place. This is a good thing!
The Barrels - Mine is crooked (I wonder if this is the same for everyone else?), but that is easily to fixable.
Accessories - I don't know what scope it comes with, but it's cool. It opens up on both ends.
Now the forward grippod actually work! They don't come molded! The bi-pod actually comes out! Very cool!
Grenade launcher is a piece of art! But the 40mm grenades don't fit into the grenade launcher!
Micro printing and small engraving on the HT.
PRICE - About $12~$20 for the rifle, $25+ for the grenade launcher.

HT SCAR as far as quality goes, it is on the same level as the ACE, or more so. There are only three criticism of the HT SCAR. One, is the chin guard could go up a little more. Two, the barrel fits into the slots, but it's crooked or loose. Three, and this is a BIG CRITICISM, the 40mm grenade shell does not fit into the grenade launcher!!! The retractable stock is very well built and the grippod actually WORKS! All in all, I would rate this gun 9 out of 10.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
I might get the Heavy one from TS. but the ACE SCAR-L looks way way better. The Mold is much crisper, the rail looks like a rail not like a corrugated piece of plastic. Not wanna sound too negative but TS needs still alot improvement to get on ACE's Level when it comes to Firearms. And yes i admit they look better than their previous guns.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't forget that the TS one comes with a good selection of accessories though, and the choice of long/short barrel, while the ACE has crisper mold, but more bare bone. And I do like the color on TS more. But both are nice, just in different ways. I picked the TS over ACE for the SCAR-H, and its accessories.

I wasn't a big fan of the SCAR before. But getting the gun in hand changed my opinion on it quite a bit.

·
Guns, guns and more guns
1,193 Posts
I like them both, but I wish that they were the same size...slight size difference always bothers me when different companies make the same or similar weapons. I like it when everything's standardized and that's why I sometimes just opt to stick with one brand (used to be DML) instead of getting others.

But yeah, I like both brands. You can't deny the level of detail that TS has put into theirs, even without movable parts. But the Hot Toys one will definitely blow both away lol. Can't wait for that one, and the ELGM too

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Thanks for the review of the HT SCAR. I have the ACE, Dr. Figure, and TS versions and as you have stated that all have the merits and disadvantages. I have ordered the M & L version (which comes with two rifles tan and black). and a grenade launcher. So, I have to wait and see on both the M & L and HT versions.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
MK16 MOD 0's Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR) by Dr. Figures

With all the MK16 MOD 0's Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR) coming out, I thought I would add my two cents about the product offered by Dr. Figures to this link. This is in an effort to provide assistance in helping my fellow 1:6th junkies select a product that will fit your needs. Let's start with an items list of accessories available with the Dr. Figure SCAR. The set comes with:

1 ea. Rifle: MK16 Mod 1 SOF Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)
1 ea. Scope: AimPoint Comp, ML-2C Style
1 ea. Sight: Wpn, Iron, Front (Already attached to the rifle)
2 ea. Rail Cover: FN, Picnany, Medium size
1 ea. Foregrip: SureFire M900ABL Millennium
1 ea. Foregrip: Grip Pod Systems (G.P.S.), Closed
1 ea. Foregrip: Grip Pod Systems (G.P.S.), Open
3 ea. Magazine: Box, 30 Rd, 5.56
3 ea. MagPul: SCAR. Box, 30 Rd, 5.56
1 ea Barrel: SCAR Flash Suppressor Tip
1 ea Barrel: SCAR Noise Suppressor, FN

Well, you don't need a history lesson on the evolution of this weapon. So, I will skip that part. However, let's talk about what you are getting for your money. All things being equal, my assessment of the Dr. Figure SCAR is based on the asking price as compared to like items of the same price. In the land of 1:6th scale modeling there is a high-end market which has commanded top dollar. Personally, I feel if a vendor is asking top dollar for an item, then one can expect their product will meet the high-end standard. Should the product fail in meeting this standard, it opens the door to severe criticism.

The MSRP for this item is about $12.99 plus shipping. Add in the extra five bucks I paid for shipping and you have a $17.99 weapon. This price for a single weapon puts the Dr. Figure SCAR in the high end market. When the Dr. Figure SCAR was first released there was very little competition, and thus, a seller's market. A hobbyist only other choice for a SCAR was the version made by ACE which came with the SEAL CQC in ACUs figure box set. Considering at the time, what stores were asking for the ACE version (about $25.00 plus shipping), the Dr. Figure SCAR became an appealing buy. However, there was disappointment to be had. The Dr. Figure SCAR is not a high-end product. Additionally, compared now to like items currently being release by Toy Soldier, Hot Toys, and M&L Products within the same price range; the Dr. Figures SCAR has even less appeal. And the reasons for this amount to the short cuts Dr. Figure took in trying to meet a market niche.

First the Dr. Figures SCAR is a so-so resin cast 1:6th scale item. Because of the resin cast the weapon has a heavier weight. So the figure you use it with better have tight joints. It comes in only one color, black. Not a big deal since it is ready to be painted in any color you desire. The Dr. Figure SCAR lacks the quality and detail that you would find in a Dragon Model Limited (DML) weapon and certainly that of the ACE version. The resin casting stands out to the naked eye as there is a degradation of detail. So, the look and feel of the Dr. Figure SCAR will be a bit disappointing but not devastating. Since the 1-to1 version is new to the US military inventory and has not been fully issued to SOF personnel, overly weathering the weapon is premature. The size/scale of the weapon is right on and makes it compatible to interexchange accessories belonging to BBi, DML, and Toy Soldier.

The working or functioning parts on the Dr. Figure SCAR are limited. They include only the front iron sight, which moves up and down, and the rear adjustable butt stock that slides in and out. There is no mechanism that will allow you to lock the adjustable butt stock in place, or to keep it from completely coming out of the stock, or allow it to remain stationary in one place. Additionally, the full butt stock can not be folded as with the ACE version. The Dr. Figure SCAR provides a ring and/or attaching point on one side of the weapon for a weapon's sling. However, with the version I purchased from the eBay Storerooms, there was not enough room on the ring to allow to the directly attachment of the sling. I had to make a modification to the ring to attach the sling. Other parts that are resin on the Dr. Figure SCAR are:

2 ea. Rail Cover: FN, Picnany, Medium size (?)
1 ea Barrel: SCAR Flash Suppressor Tip
1 ea Barrel: SCAR Noise Suppressor, FN

With the exception of the rail covers, the overall lines and detail of the flash and noise suppressors are ruff. No smooth lines here folks, although the parts do fit into the weapon pretty nicely. These items will require gluing to stay in place. The below listed parts on the Dr. Figure SCAR are plastic:

1 ea. Scope: AimPoint Comp, ML-2C Style
1 ea. Foregrip: SureFire M900ABL Millennium
1 ea. Foregrip: Grip Pod Systems (G.P.S.), Closed
1 ea. Foregrip: Grip Pod Systems (G.P.S.), Open

There is nothing really new about these items as they seem to be direct copies of DML and/or BBi products. There are no mounting holes that will allow you to secure the accessories to the weapon. Once again, mounting these items to the SCAR so they will stay in place will require glue. This includes the scope, two rail covers and foregrips. I would not advise drilling any whole into the weapon because of the resin casting could be a bit fragile. If you do, extra caution should be adhered to. Some painting will be required to bring the SCAR to life. The below listed items on the Dr. Figure SCAR are rubber

3 ea. Magazine: Box, 30 Rd, 5.56
3 ea. MagPul: SCAR. Box, 30 Rd, 5.56

The MagPul seem to be nock-offs from the ACE product line. The M4/M16 magazines are a strange bag. They are made of rubber and are flexible. They fit well into the magazine hosing so I have no complaints there. It was just the first time I have seen a flexible rubber mag. I did find that the DML XM177E1 Carbine 20 round magazines (from the Navy SEAL Project Delta, Ron Watkins (DR# 70101) (2001)) fits easily into the magazine housing to allow the Dr. Figure SCAR-Light to have the look of a SCAR-Heavy.

Overall I have to rate the Dr. Figure SCAR as a poor to so, so as a high end item. Compared to the new releases of the weapon by vendors, it falls further down the scale. As compared to the TS and M&L products, which are of equal price, the TS and M&L SCARs are much better then the Dr. Figure version and have more functionality. As a mid-level 1:6th scale item for the price of 7 to 8 bucks, it is a cool buy. Anything more then that may give you the feeling of being cheated.

·
Bash in my sleep.
3,023 Posts
I second the Dr.Figures SCAR review. I picked up a few of them at WoH for $10 each, and I think that may have been a bit much. It's about equal to Zacca or better 21st weapons.
Im glad I never pulled the trigger and got the DR Figure SCAR..Im really not impressed by that company..Im eargerly awaitin the MIL set.

·
Guns, guns and more guns
1,193 Posts
The Dr. Figures SCAR is garbage. I like to think of myself as lenient towards products that aren't at least DML quality, but these fall far beyond Zacca quality (though they have been getting better)

This one is molded badly, all the parts are loose and won't stay in place, and gluing anything to it is near impossible. It was the first weapon where I trashed almost immediately after inspecting it. And since the Merit SCAR comes in black, there's no poitn in even getting this one now even with the accessories they give. It's a total waste of money.

·
Guns, guns and more guns
1,193 Posts
I'm so stoked for the HT SCARs, and glad to hear it's as good as I'd thought it'd be. I've got all the SCARs from the new set on order, and two of those with the grenade launcher on the way. That makes a total of 6 HT ones along with three of the Toy Soldier ones, the two Merril International ones and the ACE version, so I'd have 12 total SCARs!

BTW, anyone know if any other 40mm grenades from other brands would fit inside the HT grenade launcher? DML, BBI, etc?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.