One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kitbasher
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all your 1:6th lovers out there!
I want a SWAT figure but I just can't decide which one it'll going to be?

I boiled it down to three figs; the HT SWAT 3.0 (male), the Art Figures SWAT and the DiD LAPD SWAT. Now, which one of these is going to get me most bang for the buck so to say? Which one is the most price friendly and/or giving me most bang for the buck so to say? Or is it all personal preference?
I did some home work and understand, for example, that the carbines (M4) is pretty outdated for the SWAT teams and I should replace that with the H&K 416 (?) But not in the case with the DiD 'cause it obviously already include the 416. Is all of these figs accurate?
Hit me with pros, cons, personal opinions etc.
And "no" buying all three just don't going to happen...;)

Cheers
TSG

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
DID LAPD SWAT hands down, but then again . . . are you going for most bang for your buck or aesthetics and nuances as well?

Overall, DID LAPD SWAT in terms of accuracy and completeness is your best bet.

If price is an issue, then consider the ART FIGURES SWAT figure. It's not fully loaded as the one from DID, but still a very good representation of a basic SWAT operator.

I'd skip the HT one purely due to $.

A budgeted approach is for you find a good reliable 1:6 body and head sculpt and then consider this set.

VERYHOT SWAT 2.0

http://veryhot.com.cn/SWAT-20-p67.html

It's not 100% perfect and has a few quibbles, but overall it's a good budget set that can be futzed and tweaked.

·
Kit-Bash Krazy!
2,980 Posts
Well, I've done a review of the AF one on my site if that is a help point for you? Plus they are CHEAP, Collectable Kitbash has that figure for £74.99 at the mo. It's a great starting point, but it's more of a 'movie' SWAT figure than an accurate representation, in which case the DID version is more realistic...

SWAT teams do vary however. I've got both the Soldier Story CIRG and FBI HRT figures too, and both of those also amazing!

·
Kitbasher
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DID LAPD SWAT hands down, but then again . . . are you going for most bang for your buck or aesthetics and nuances as well?

Overall, DID LAPD SWAT in terms of accuracy and completeness is your best bet.

If price is an issue, then consider the ART FIGURES SWAT figure. It's not fully loaded as the one from DID, but still a very good representation of a basic SWAT operator.

I'd skip the HT one purely due to $.

A budgeted approach is for you find a good reliable 1:6 body and head sculpt and then consider this set.

VERYHOT SWAT 2.0

It's not 100% perfect and has a few quibbles, but overall it's a good budget set that can be futzed and tweaked.
Thanks for your input, mate!
I looked at the VHT SWAT 2.0 but I also read a lot of bad things of VHTas well; poor QC, bad velcro and things like that:eek I recently bought a VHT PMC 3.0 set (just for fun and random kitbashing) but I didn't experienced any quality issues at all:thumb Of course; not super quality but pretty ok for my purposes.

Anyways, thanks again for your input!
Well, I've done a review of the AF one on my site if that is a help point for you? Plus they are CHEAP, Collectable Kitbash has that figure for £74.99 at the mo. It's a great starting point, but it's more of a 'movie' SWAT figure than an accurate representation, in which case the DID version is more realistic...

SWAT teams do vary however. I've got both the Soldier Story CIRG and FBI HRT figures too, and both of those also amazing!
Yep'r I saw that very reasonable price over at CK as well and I read your review for the AF fig (you have a ton of good review I must say. Your VTS Revenger review pretty much sold it to me right away:clap)
I'm planning to get the SS FBI CIRG in a near future as well being more and more interested in US domestic forces.

I'm aiming for the "most" accurate SWAT representation here so just as DeltaForceChung you're recommending the DiD, yeah?
Thanks for your your reply!

Cheers!

·
12,821 Posts
I looked at the VHT SWAT 2.0 but I also read a lot of bad things of VHTas well; poor QC, bad velcro and things like that:eek I recently bought a VHT PMC 3.0 set (just for fun and random kitbashing) but I didn't experienced any quality issues at all:thumb Of course; not super quality but pretty ok for my purposes.
--

VHT has faults and known for consistent inconsistency regarding the design and quality of their products, but in all fairness and objectivity they have improved their offerings over the past couple of years. Their quality has improved, but some feel not enough. The fact is that they're still around and making improvements while offering sets beyond what they were doing previously which was producing affordable versions of military sets from HT, but they moved a bit beyond that with past offerings.

Not every set is going to be 100% perfect, but I prefer to see VHT nowadays as a troop builder resource overall as a "B"/"C" offering that will get the job done.

They just expanded into offering a full figure offering with their upcoming "SPY" and "UDT" offering.

I see VHT as an underdog so to speak and hope they'll continue the trend of improvements with future offerings while maintaining an affordable price range.

I was not necessarily a fan of their products, but what I have purchased impressed me to re-evaluate my opinion of them.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
SWAT teams seem to vary in terms of what kit and uniforms they wear, depending on which department they belong to. I know they're not all quite as tricked-out as DiD's depiction, sporting FAST helmets and HK416s, but if you're looking for a representation of the 'best' equipped SWAT guys out there today then it's the one to go for for sure.

Personally, I prefer the more classic look of SWAT, which Art Figures captured with their version. I agree with DFC with regards to the Hot Toys version - give it a pass.

Overall, I'd say it depends on which type of SWAT operator you prefer the look of. Both are 'accurate' depictions of two different operators in two different time periods so really personal taste. As mentioned, the AF one is cheaper but I believe you get more 'bang for your buck' so to speak with the DiD release. It also has a very nice-looking taser!

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,779 Posts
Thanks for your input, mate!

Anyways, thanks again for your input!

Yep'r I saw that very reasonable price over at CK as well and I read your review for the AF fig (you have a ton of good review I must say. Your VTS Revenger review pretty much sold it to me right away:clap)
I'm planning to get the SS FBI CIRG in a near future as well being more and more interested in US domestic forces.

I'm aiming for the "most" accurate SWAT representation here so just as DeltaForceChung you're recommending the DiD, yeah?
Thanks for your your reply!

Cheers!
so you looking to do LAPD swat???? i have done one!!!! and i need to post about him here! so i will! that being said.... good luck, and def don't go HT as theirs will easily cost you 300! and be aware DID is Doing a SPEED Jack Traven figure, so he may be of interest to you!

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
I have both Male and Femalt HT SWAT 3.0, they are more of an oldschool style of SWAT, gear wise is well balance and quality is great. But given it has been released for a long time, some parts are degrading, for example, the goggles would be all sticky and has yellow residue on the lens which could be clean off easily with some alcohol wipes. The gas mask is a tight fit and the rubber straps degradation isn't helping so have to be careful to put on (I left them in carry bag on the figure instead of fitting). And then there's the LAPD SWAT patches, they are glued onto the velcro patch, and the glue is degraded so it's starting to peel off and curl up like an armadillo... very hard to get it flatten out and stay on the uniform nicely.

I don't have neither of AF or DiD versions, AF ver is pretty much the same era of HT SWAT, an oldschool style. I'd rather go with DiD version instead due to it's modern gears and new style body.

·
firefighterUK
7,025 Posts
I am with Crushader and oppl on this. I have all the SWAT figures Hot Toys have released and they where and still are great for the most part but my money would be with the DiD LAPD SWAT now without doubt. Don't have the Art Figures figure but as Steve said it cheap. Just depends what era of SWAT you want to display.

·
Kitbasher
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for all your input, you guys! I kinda made my decision and I plan to go with the DiD LAPD SWAT:hifive
I did some minor research on general SWAT-members and discovered that the DiD SWAT guy will be the best one for me. Perhaps I pick up the AF SWAT fig later (and bash it with the VHT SWAT 2.0) but for now I feel that the DiD fig will do:clap
Once again; MANY thanks, my friends!

Cheers!
TAG

·
Registered
578 Posts
In case you buy DID SWAT, do be careful with the earphones, it's prone to break, very very brittle. There are loads of such cases were reported.

·
Watching
894 Posts
The main thing I don't like about the DiD SWAT is the massively oversized vest. The rest of the gear is great though.

·
its time to musk up...
1,021 Posts
Another great thing about the DID one is those bendy arms, that body along is fetching £30 on ebay.

As a side note I was told some of the original Hot toys Military designers worked on the DiD figure.

If you ever fancy something closer to home (and for some reason its always cheaper than the other HT figures of that time was) the Hot toys GIGN figures, I still got mine and on display and with a bit of work they look awesome and show no signs of age

·
Kitbasher
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In case you buy DID SWAT, do be careful with the earphones, it's prone to break, very very brittle. There are loads of such cases were reported.
The main thing I don't like about the DiD SWAT is the massively oversized vest. The rest of the gear is great though.
Hey thanks a bunch for the heads up, guys! I appreciate it:thanks
Cheers!

·
12,821 Posts
TSG:

If you're willing to compromise "authenticity" and "detail" under a budget where you may get an edge on "quantity", then you may want to search eBay for 21STCT ULTIMATE SOLDIER SWAT carded uniform sets and boxed figures. They came out around 1999/2000/2001.

There are four versions.

SWAT COMMANDER (Black SWAT Uniform)
SWAT TEAM LEADER (Blue SWAT Uniform)
SWAT URBAN CAMO
SWAT SHERIFF (Brown/OD Uniform)

Each set has basic weapons and accessories, but they're very dated compared to nowadays, but still a good source for troop builder where you may want to replace/upgrade certain pieces.

The sets usually fetched around $10.00 to $15.00, but prices increased where they usually go for $20.00 and up, but shop around.

SATURDAY TOYS also produced a SWAT uniform set for male and female figures that is reminiscent of the offerings from 21STCT, but just a tad more detailed. The sets pop up on eBay every now and then usually go for around $30.00 to $50.00.

Just mentioning some options.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,779 Posts
TSG:

If you're willing to compromise "authenticity" and "detail" under a budget where you may get an edge on "quantity", then you may want to search eBay for 21STCT ULTIMATE SOLDIER SWAT carded uniform sets and boxed figures. They came out around 1999/2000/2001.

There are four versions.

SWAT COMMANDER (Black SWAT Uniform)
SWAT TEAM LEADER (Blue SWAT Uniform)
SWAT URBAN CAMO
SWAT SHERIFF (Brown/OD Uniform)

Each set has basic weapons and accessories, but they're very dated compared to nowadays, but still a good source for troop builder where you may want to replace/upgrade certain pieces.

The sets usually fetched around $10.00 to $15.00, but prices increased where they usually go for $20.00 and up, but shop around.

SATURDAY TOYS also produced a SWAT uniform set for male and female figures that is reminiscent of the offerings from 21STCT, but just a tad more detailed. The sets pop up on eBay every now and then usually go for around $30.00 to $50.00.

Just mentioning some options.
those are also options, but there's also kitbashing you own... though that can get real pricey.....

·
Kitbasher
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[...]
VERYHOT SWAT 2.0
A bit OT but do you know if the 2.0-version has dress boots or beets?
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts