One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recently released Vietnam Force-Recon by Toy Soldier looks good. My only concern is the body. I'm not sure if they fixed the 'limp' body issue w/ the new T1-F body. Anyone bought this set yet?
 

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
Joined
·
8,816 Posts
I got one yesterday.The legs are still kinda wobbly in the hip,but the arm articulation is great.And the hands pop off alot easier too.
 

·
wave man TDY staff
Joined
·
41,776 Posts
A fix for the hips....

When I got my figure out of the box, I noticed the legs were pretty floppy. The upper body - shoulders, elbows, wrists - were fine. I "dropped trou" (or rather the figure did), and checked out the situ. The knees could be tightened up (after wheedling out the soft plugs with a small straight-tip precision screwdriver) satisfactorily. This should be approached with care, as you're dealing with metal screws in relatively soft plastic. I recommend investing in a decent precision phillips-tip screwdriver, and then working on developing your "hand-torque" feel.


Next I moved to the hips, the main source of looseness. Removing the three screws from the "butt plate", I freed the lower torso section. I then removed the two screws from the upper insides of the thighs, allowing removal of the ball-socket hip assembly. In my opinion, the production pieces appear to have a slight warp, which leaves a small gap after the pieces are tightened. The hip-socket system itself is fairly robust, and allows considerable articulation. The ring within the socket looks to be well designed for friction, but the tolerances (likely most satisfactory in the prototype) are a bit much.
I wiped out the sockets and applied a thin layer of "moleskin" bandage to the balls (insert laughter here), then re-assembled the pieces. Result: Pretty much frozen solid.


I disassembled the hips again, and this time tried the technigue recommended by Dave70b. I brushed on superglue to the separated surfaces, and allowed them to dry. They took on a sugar-like consistency, and when re-assembled, there was proper friction. The legs were now poseable, yet capable of free standing.



Here a rear view of the treated assembly, showing the gapping that remains even after the screws are fully (safely) tightened.​

Yes, a $90 figure should come out of the box capable of standing alone, but that won't always be the case. Alan at TS is always searching for a better product, and if this body gets close but not quite on the mark, I'm for supporting it, in hopes of an even better next generation. I haven't had it long enough to fully evaluate how much I like it, but it seems to be moving in the right direction. A few extra minutes added to the normal kit-up and weathering isn't much to ask, it's a pretty simple fix.

To me, it's worth it.
 

·
Likes little people
Joined
·
1,617 Posts
Great tutorial ! drop Trou ! Insert laughter !! You would have gone far in teaching TMI (Techniques of Military Instruction)
 

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
Joined
·
8,816 Posts
Another thing I use to set my frame of mind when I buy any box figure or am bashing a figure.These are models,not really toys.

And any model needs work.And if you have any kind of time invested in this hobby,then you know what I mean.I don't know of any of the 1/6 board members I have met here keep a figure out of box anymore,with out doing some sort of personalization to it.

And I'm sure all the Hot Toys fanboys will disagree.But how many who have been here since the beginning of this board,and the old EZ board..do not take a little extra time t personalize their figures?Be it Dragon,BBi,ACE,Hot toys,all figures need a bit of rearranging.

The box picture is just an example,it doesn't have to be set up exactly like the box shows.If you do you figure exactly like the box shows,there is no imagination in that.
 

·
Ain't it Cool?
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
I agree with you Aaron. I have very few box figures that I did not bash to personalized it or make it more accurate from a picture I saw. Lately, as improved 1:6th scale equipment items become available, I have even re-bashed an old DML or BBi figure.
 

·
Speed Thrills
Joined
·
3,997 Posts
I use a similar technique But instead of glue I use the white plumbing tape. It increase the diameter of the ball end of the joint. I concur with Mr. CJ its the occasional tinkering and tweaking that promotes growth in the hobby. " Saaaay What gives whada ya mean Fan boy.." LOL,LOL. You how I get down. I like Hot toys but I break them down too. and if its beyond me I send it out to West Coast Customs.. To " Pimp my Figure" LOL,LOL... Sorry couldnt resist. Now back to the subject of the thread...
 

·
Inspector 12
Joined
·
3,419 Posts
Great toot, Mike. Best part is you didn't have to remove those cantankerous boots! ;)

I also discovered disassembling the figure and using superglue to provide extra friction in the ball joints. I tried to use the aforemention teflon (or white plumbers tape), but it would come off of the ball joints. It works great with pegs, but not ball joints.

Thanks to PD for experimenting with removing those new hole plugs. If I had done this without guidance, I would have another dead body for the trash bin.

Despite its other shortcomings, I really like the new shoulder articulation and removable spacers on this TF-1 body.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top