One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally had a figure that I was going to blouse the boots for, and remembered to get some photos this time. I kinda figured this out on my own, so I figured I'd share. The full photoset is here, with a few more photos (mostly on how to get the pants on).

UPDATED 11-Dec-2011: With newer instructions and alternate methods based on some of the comments below.

STEP 0
So you want to blouse your 1/6 scale figure's pants so they look neat and squared away? Here's the way I do it. To start, you'll need:

- Figure (boxer shorts optional)
- Pair of BDU-style pants
- Pair of tall boots.

This photo tutorial will cover 2 different ways to do this, one which requires nothing extra and another one that is a bit more work and needs some kind of elastic cord.

EASY METHOD

STEP 1
Get the pants and boots on the figure.

STEP 2
Fold the pants cuffs to the inside of the leg until you get them to the height you want. You can apply some cloth tape to the top of the boot so the pants will have something to grip on to and keep from shaking loose if the figure moves or you pose it. You can also use a simulated blousing band (see below) and tuck the pants under it from this step (though I think that's harder to do when you're working at this scale -- maybe I just have fat fingers).

FINISHED
This is what my folded blouse looks like. It's quick, it's easy, it looks pretty good, and you don't need anything extra to do it.

BLOUSING BAND METHOD

This method is a bit more involved, and also requires some extra stuff as documented below.

STEP 1
Turn your pants inside-out.

STEP 2
If you can pop the feet off your figure, go ahead and do it. Then put the pants on the figure in reverse, cuffs first and with the waist down at the ankles at the end. They probably won't go up all the way, but that's OK. Make sure to keep the fly on the right side of the figure, too.

STEP 3
Put the boots on the figure. You'll probably have to raise the waist up a bit to do this.

STEP 4
Pull the pants down so that the cuffs come up to about the tops of the boots. Then make sure your boot laces and the pants ties are all above the cuffs.

Also note that you can get to this step by putting the pants on the figure, then the boots, and then peeling the pants off the figure so they go inside-out that way. Whichever you like, really.

GEAR CHECK!
If you're cheap or lazy, you can try to use the tie-strings that come with most good 1/6 scale BDU pants to do the next step. From experience, it doesn't work as well as it can if you invest a buck or two and buy some elastic sewing cord. This can usually be found with the velcro and other elastics in your Friendly Neighborhood Sewing Supply Store, but I've seen it sometimes in bigger department stores. It's stretchy, which will help you in the next step, and buying one package of it will give you enough elastic to blouse an army.

Sometimes it's called "beading cord," too. It comes in white and black; I use white cord on the outside chance that the black cord might stain the pants. It doesn't feel like it would, but just in case.

Any stretchy string-y thing will do, though. Alternatives include tiny rubber bands, orthodontic elastics, or smaller hair ties.

STEP 5
Use some of your elastic thread and tie a knot on each pant cuff. The elastic thread is simulating a blousing band in the real world. Make sure the blousing band is tied on the boot and make it tight! You don't have to worry about cutting off the circulation on your figures' legs and it'll prevent mishaps in the next step.

In this photo, the figure's right leg (on the left) has the pant cuff above the top of the boot and the blouse is tied a little lower on the leg. On the figure left leg (right side of the photo), the cuff is mostly in-line with the boot top and the band is a little higher. We'll see what the difference is when the blouse is done.

Keep those laces and BDU tie-offs above the band, too, or they'll peek out under the blouse.

STEP 6
Pull the pants right-side out again and your bloused boots are done! Notice how the blouse on the figure's right leg is much tighter and higher than the one on his left leg. That's the side-effect of how high you put the cuff of the pants and how low you tie the blousing band. The right-leg blouse looks more like the way the Marine Corps do it.

I believe current U.S. Army regulations state that no blouse should cover below the third eyelet on the boot, so if you're bashing an Army figure you may want to keep that in mind. Practically, though, standards on how to wear your pants changes from unit to unit -- some say just to tuck your pants into the boots, some mandate a blouse, some don't require anything.

FINISHED - REAR VIEW
A view of the finished bloused boots from the rear. The tighter blouse of the right leg is a bit more visible on this side.

This is all based on what I've read about online but never seen (even on this forum, with a request for a photo tutorial, which is why I wanted to have photos when I posted these instructions). If those who were/are in uniform have anything to contribute on 1:1 correlations or their tips on doing this for the 1/6 versions, please feel free to correct me!

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread!

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Great tip, I could have used this yesterday..lol It is always funny when you are working on a project, get something done and then, someone posts something so similar to what you are working on...anyway I was working on a couple of WWII Canadians and was trying to figure out how to blouse the pants and did something very similar to your method but I used cloth tape to tape the pants to the legs inside out creating the blouse effect. Also used cloth tape to create the gators...

·
June 6th, 1944, D-DAY...
495 Posts
Excellent tutorial!! I did need this for when I was working on my Sgt Maj Plumley and ended up tucking the pants into the boots to create the blouse effect. I will correct that with your method. THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Would this be more appropriate for figures that are handled a lot? I find that if I'm tucking in the trousers into the boots, they stay in place pretty well unless they're moved around excessively.

But it does look like I'll be picking up some elastic just to confirm how well this works...

·
Büchsenmacher
3,206 Posts
I am using small rubberbands with the same "insideout pant technique"....other than that nice tut for people who need some visuals to go along with explantations!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
lol, and I have been tucking them into the boots the whole time! (and they look absolutely silly too). Will definitely try this. Thanks for the tutorial!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Interesting,

I just turn the pant legs inside out at the bottoms, put the boots on and pull the pant legs down till they look right.

CHEERS!

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I've learned a lot from the community and wanted to give something substantial back. I don't have anything substantial, though, so this will have to do for now :D.

Would this be more appropriate for figures that are handled a lot? I find that if I'm tucking in the trousers into the boots, they stay in place pretty well unless they're moved around excessively.
It's less about handling and more about authenticity. From what I've seen on the US Army's Flickr stream and from comments in that last blousing thread, uniform standards differ from unit to unit when you're in the field. Pants can be worn untucked, tucked, or bloused, depending on what command says is OK. However this does NOT seem to be true of the US Marine Corps -- the overwhelming majority of the photos on the USMC Flickr site show Marines blousing their boots. I think the new USMC fig from Soldier Story even has elastic on the pants rather than the ties to better simulate the bloused look without this added work.

This is also just the way I do it -- the fold method described by some others is just fine and requires less work (which is also probably why it's the method of choice for manufacturers that don't just tuck). This blouse just looks neater and avoids stray shoelaces or pant leg ties peeking out. Can't have your 1/6 figs tripping on their laces during maneuvers, can you? :lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I've learned a lot from the community and wanted to give something substantial back. I don't have anything substantial, though, so this will have to do for now :D.

It's less about handling and more about authenticity. From what I've seen on the US Army's Flickr stream and from comments in that last blousing thread, uniform standards differ from unit to unit when you're in the field. Pants can be worn untucked, tucked, or bloused, depending on what command says is OK. However this does NOT seem to be true of the US Marine Corps -- the overwhelming majority of the photos on the USMC Flickr site show Marines blousing their boots. I think the new USMC fig from Soldier Story even has elastic on the pants rather than the ties to better simulate the bloused look without this added work.

This is also just the way I do it -- the fold method described by some others is just fine and requires less work (which is also probably why it's the method of choice for manufacturers that don't just tuck). This blouse just looks neater and avoids stray shoelaces or pant leg ties peeking out. Can't have your 1/6 figs tripping on their laces during maneuvers, can you? :lol
I'm going to piggyback onto this with my own experiences in both military school (as a Naval Midshipman) as well as a a Naval Officer. In both these capacities I studied/worked with those in the Army, Marine Corps and Air Force. The above blousing technique is applicable only to the Navy and Marine Corps completely. While you would see Army soldiers blousing boots, they usually used a different system; first simply inside the boot, then using their version of the boot band that reinforced the BDU cuff drawstrings and made it easier to stuff inside the boot. You could tell what service someone was in just by looking at the blousing system. One of the Army ROTC commanders would yell at his cadets if they used "that f****** puffy Marine system!" So, while tucking the the trousers into the boots looked "absolutely silly" as a previous posted mentioned, it was also genrerally absolutely regulation, especially in the Vietnam Era. These photos show both methods; inside and outside the boots:

That being said, your tutorial is excellent, and I wore my BDUs bloused in the method that you illustrated. (Still have a few of the Navy/Marine style boot bands in a closet somewhere).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
While I appreciate the effort the OP went to in showing us the tutorial, I've found you can easily just slide the material up inside the leg pants until the proper length of hang is achieve making a "pretend blouse".

In the days of rubber boots you could tuck the material into the boot tops and with some tweezers blouse-out the ends....today that is nearly impossible to do with beets and fabric boots because 1/6 material is still much thicker than 1:1 material would be, even the best examples...and 1/6 material doesn't hang the way 1:1 material will.

Seems like an awful lot of work to do a blouse that is tied-off.....but if it works for you, hey, it works for you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts