One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

When we're engaged in a 1:6 project and we order/purchase a 1:6 figure, body, head sculpt, outfit, uniform, etc. for a custom and/or kit bash . . . some of us likely ended up with a component that didn't fit/match with the project resulting in a delay, etc.

If so, any of you care to post/share such an experience?

What happened and ultimately what was the outcome? What did you learn from the experience? Does it still happen from time to time?

The subject was the result of a fellow collector who ended up procuring a wrong 1:6 body for a project.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hmmm. Wouldn't say I've had many wrong items. I have rolled the dice on items from time to time.
Thinking I could mod it if needed. Then finding out that the structure wouldn't allow the mods I had
as a backup. Then I would sell it off or throw it into the parts bin for another time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a couple of chairs for mine the other week , okay so they were telephone holders, but worked the sizes out and figured they would work then when they were delivered I found they were too small. The other chair i bought was a jewellery box in the shape of an arm chair I think for a slightly bigger scale it would be great but as it is , lets just say its big enough for one of mine to curl up in to read a book!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've bought 1/6 boots on eBay under the impression they were hollow when they in reality had an integral ball joint inside. The description didn't say either way, but it did list a bunch of compatible companies including Phicen. I made the assumption and was wrong. I always ask the seller on footwear now unless the listing explicitly states or shows an interior photo. They're sitting in a box doing nothing. I should sell them on.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Twice. The one I remember specifically is the magical knife from Prince of Persia. I ended up with a child's life-size plastic one before I got the HT one. Imagine my surprise when I got this massive padded envelope in the mail. Shortly after I found the one I wanted, and now it's in my pirate queen's belt.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I recently had this problem while trying to put together a Hulk Hogan using parts from Storm Collectibles and a clone of the HT Bane body. Turns out, the body needed to be tanner and bulkier. The lower body looks great, since I was able to fill out the the tights with a pair of Dam Toys padded long underwear. The upper body is more problematic. It really needs a paint job to match the head and I need to tailor the shirt because it looks too baggy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've bought 1/6 boots on eBay under the impression they were hollow when they in reality had an integral ball joint inside. The description didn't say either way, but it did list a bunch of compatible companies including Phicen. I made the assumption and was wrong. I always ask the seller on footwear now unless the listing explicitly states or shows an interior photo. They're sitting in a box doing nothing. I should sell them on.
You could order a couple of Very Cool bodies if you want to use the boots. Just outfit them to cover up the arm, leg, and hip joints. They're not great like Phicen, but they're decent. I have one outfitted in a trench coat with a halter top and leather pants, and it looks decent.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Yep, this inevitably happens. Sometimes product descriptions are not particularly clear (especially if one doesn't look closely enough) - that's how I got a 7-inch Joh Cena figure. I've also bought the wrong-sized mini keys, bottles, and paints. Si I try to be more careful, but in many cases even the wrong item finds a purpose eventually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a Predator body for a reasonable price and then realised the compatible head was VERY expensive! I decided to get a Falconer Predator head that has a fixed helmet and that way I can use the bare head on my Falconer and the helmeted head on the body. IF it fits! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Not so much the wrong part, but the same part...I all ready had and didn't need another of. I recently recieved an order and open to say to my self "why did I buy this"? I already have 3 of them...lol:doh

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Not too often, but enough that I've come to accept it as an occasional part of the creative process. Sometimes, what I had in my head just doesn't work right when once it's been built up. Something that I thought would look great just doesn't fit quite right (too big or too small). The most on any figure was three attempts, I think, to get it right. If I had to guess an average, I'd say 10-15% of the time on loose parts. But I've also had a few happy accidents where some spare part I had laying around and tried out on a whim had results that surprised me in a very good way. So there's been some karmic balance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Several times. Some costume sets for my Phicens that simply did not fit. Either I would be faced with tearing up the figure or tearing up the clothes. So I gave up. If I do any customizing, it is with loose Phicen clothing or props.

·
1/6 Hoarder
1,363 Posts
Not exactly for a specific project but like others have mentioned, a lot of considerations have to go into buying gear. Shoes, clothing, helmets, body armor/vests, etc. -- all have to be checked for fit before purchase. Usually, checking the manufacturer and matching it with a body with the same manufacturer is enough but even that doesn't work sometimes. Over the years I learned it helps to have a diverse selection of bodies and heads in storage so those 'ill-fitting' pieces never go to waste.

You can of course customize and use tricks to make things fit but that's the beginning of a tricky slope.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.